• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    I've been thinking about adding a shotgun to the family. The M2 Tactical looks like a decent shotgun I'll be adding a 3 shot tube extension if I get one. What is the opinion of INGO on this shotgun? Is it good to go out of the box? What are the pros and cons?

1629326254310.png

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    Grew up shooting regular shotgun stock not pistol grip stocks. To me a shotgun stock needs to fit the shooter much more than a rifle stock. Ask those bird hunters and clay shooters.

If you grew up shooting an AR most l8kely you will be fine.
    I can see the pistol grip being ok if you had to use your support hand for something off the gun. ( opening a door a wave ect) I just had a harder time finding the sight picture and safety/ slide release using the pistol grip ar style stock.

the 3 shot extension once again it made the gun point front heavy when loaded with 8 rounds. Might just be me. I would get the gun with the five shot and stay that way.

my home defender tool sports a youth stock and I use it in ultra cold weather hunting with thick coats also.

ps the m2 is a fine shotgun. you will enjoy it,.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    Grew up shooting regular shotgun stock not pistol grip stocks. To me a shotgun stock needs to fit the shooter much more than a rifle stock. Ask those bird hunters and clay shooters.

If you grew up shooting an AR most l8kely you will be fine.
    I can see the pistol grip being ok if you had to use your support hand for something off the gun. ( opening a door a wave ect) I just had a harder time finding the sight picture and safety/ slide release using the pistol grip ar style stock.

the 3 shot extension once again it made the gun point front heavy when loaded with 8 rounds. Might just be me. I would get the gun with the five shot and stay that way.

my home defender tool sports a youth stock and I use it in ultra cold weather hunting with thick coats also.

ps the m2 is a fine shotgun. you will enjoy it,.
    They have several versions of the M2 which one would you recommend?

Gabriel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jun 3, 2010
    The shore of wonderful Lake Michigan
    I have the M1 and like it a lot. I'd actually prefer the M2 just for the tapped receiver. If I were to buy now, I'd look for an M3 for the option to switch to a pump action to help cycle lighter loads. I always wanted an M3, but never did buy one.

My only complaint regarding the Benelli shotguns is the stock is really long (14 1/2" LOP IIRC). I finally broke down and replaced mine with a Mesa Tactical and it made a world of difference. I should say I bought my M1 back in the 90's, so maybe that has changed.

Ggreen

Person
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Sep 19, 2016
    SouthEast
    The m2 is good to go. A metric ton of them in multigun and a lot of those guys run light loads. For a defense shotgun in running full power 00 anyway. The m2 is on my list. I love my monte feltro, and hate myself for selling my m4.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    I have the M1 and like it a lot. I'd actually prefer the M2 just for the tapped receiver. If I were to buy now, I'd look for an M3 for the option to switch to a pump action to help cycle lighter loads. I always wanted an M3, but never did buy one.

My only complaint regarding the Benelli shotguns is the stock is really long (14 1/2" LOP IIRC). I finally broke down and replaced mine with a Mesa Tactical and it made a world of difference. I should say I bought my M1 back in the 90's, so maybe that has changed.
    Thanks for your input.
    I'm not a shotgun guy so everything is kind of new to me other than shooting old single shots, and dads old Mossberg 500 hunting shotgun I don't have much experience beyond that.
    I feel I need one to round out the home defense arsenal, or just to have a shotgun. I must be the only gun owner in Indiana that doesn't have one. I'll definitely take your advice and look into the M3.
    I have all the popular calibers in handguns and rifles, but no 12ga shotgun.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    The m2 is good to go. A metric ton of them in multigun and a lot of those guys run light loads. For a defense shotgun in running full power 00 anyway. The m2 is on my list. I love my monte feltro, and hate myself for selling my m4.
    Do they use any magazine tube extensions? If so how many rounds and what brand is used?

two70

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Feb 5, 2016
    Johnson
    The only problems I've ever heard of with Benelli shotguns only happen under dirty, wet, and freezing cold conditions when the shotgun hasn't been kept reasonably clean. Being a home defense shotgun likely eliminates the first 3 conditions and you have complete control of the cleaning regimen so it should be good to go.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    The only problems I've ever heard of with Benelli shotguns only happen under dirty, wet, and freezing cold conditions when the shotgun hasn't been kept reasonably clean. Being a home defense shotgun likely eliminates the first 3 conditions and you have complete control of the cleaning regimen so it should be good to go.
    Would a Mossberg 940 JM Pro be more reliable?

If the M2 is that unreliable I really do not want it.

two70

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Feb 5, 2016
    Johnson
    Would a Mossberg 940 JM Pro be more reliable?

If the M2 is that unreliable I really do not want it.
    Those are tough conditions for any shotgun and from what I've heard, problems are not very common with the Benelli even then. I'd personally trust the Benelli more but I don't have any experience with the 940.

Ggreen

Person
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Sep 19, 2016
    SouthEast
    I think the only other serious contender to the Benelli offerings these days would be the Beretta 1301 / LTT 1301.

Either / or will give you YEARS of rugged and reliable service.
    The 1301 is a competitor to the m4 more than the m2. 1301 and m4 are gas operated. I prefer the m4 as it seems to run smoother and flatter, but the 1301 has a shorter receiver and is easier to maneuver.

The real competitor for the m2 are the intertial franchi's. Inertia guns tend to be better in adverse conditions, but I'd take an m4 anywhere I'd take an m2. Inertia guns are popular in shooting sports because you can run them higher round counts without cleaning and are easier to service in the field.

Benelli, franchi, and Beretta are all the same company though.

Top Bottom