Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    The Beretta PX4 plus a couple of other a friend gave me to shoot:
    - Glock 34 (great shooter)
    - Beretta 92 compact (nice heavy hammer pistol)
    Always fun to shoot someone else's guns! :rockwoot:

The silhouette was with all 3 guns.
    21' on a rest.
    1st column on the left was the Beretta 92 Compact
    2nd (middle) column was the PX4.
    3rd column (far right) was the Glock 34 with its 5" barrel.

Range 6.30.2022 x3 guns.jpg

Free Hand at 21'
    1st row (top) Glock 34
    2nd row (middle) Beretta 92 Compact
    3rd row (bottom) Beretta PX4
    For comparison purposes I counted up the rounds inside the X, 10 & 9 cirlce (3.75").
    I was shocked on how I lost control on the middle Beretta 92 2nd target: got in a hurry! :wallbash:
    Very disappointed on how I did on the 2nd target with the Beretta PX4 on the bottom row. :dunno:
    Range 6.30.2022 x3 guns FREE HAND.jpg

kaveman

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Sep 13, 2014
    La Porte
    ........I have a Beretta 92 Centurion DAO pistol with which I outshoot both the standard 92 (5") and the PX-4 (both of the later have DA/SA triggers, which I've never been a fan of the transition style) but then I may tend to slow down and focus better with the longer DAO trigger pull.
    As a straight shooter, the PX-4 is AWESOME! But I would have never carried it and, as I'm not a fan of the DA/SA trigger style, is the only reason I ended up letting it go! If Beretta had made it in a DAO model, I would never have let it go!

Beretta does/did make a DAO PX4. It's a slick-side slide like you have on your Centurion. I don't know how long they made them of it they only made them for certain LEO contracts but I've had my eye out searching for a 9mm. I have a .40 and did see a .45 go on GB a few weeks ago. I've also got a 92D and a 96D and all the Beretta DAO triggers are superb. If anything, the DAO on the PX4 is even better.

All three pistols are former LEO guns I picked up back when such things were cheap. They were each under $300 at the time and now I HAVE to find a 9mm PX4 as I've already got half a dozen mags for it!

Amishman44

Master
    Rating - 98%
    49   1   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Woodburn
    Beretta does/did make a DAO PX4. It's a slick-side slide like you have on your Centurion. I don't know how long they made them of it they only made them for certain LEO contracts but I've had my eye out searching for a 9mm. I have a .40 and did see a .45 go on GB a few weeks ago. I've also got a 92D and a 96D and all the Beretta DAO triggers are superb. If anything, the DAO on the PX4 is even better.

All three pistols are former LEO guns I picked up back when such things were cheap. They were each under $300 at the time and now I HAVE to find a 9mm PX4 as I've already got half a dozen mags for it!
    Dang...a PX4 DAO pistol...I'd probably grab and carry one of those if I could find one!
    I sold my PX4 a few weeks ago because I am NOT a fan of the DA/SA trigger switch...

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    When I got my PX4G many years ago, I took it to the range to break it in. My normal function test of a brand new firearm is to load on mag with one round to make sure it fires, and a second mag with two rounds, fire first round but keep finger back to make sure it isn't something that AT and unconstitutional F doesn't allow. I do this thanks to a good friend who rebuilt a 1911 and asked me if I wanted to try it after he rebuilt it. Sure why not. First mag, pulled the trigger and was glad we were on private land. Emptied the mag! He took it from me, disassembled it and told me that he would fix it. Sure.

After the three rounds my daughter asked to try the Storm and finish a good break in. I wanted to work with my "always in my pocket" Kahr PM9 so I let her have fun with the Beretta. It wasn't too much longer that she was complaining that she was out of ammo. I gave her 250 rounds!!!

The PX4 is so reliable, so easy to shoot accurately that at home it is never more than a couple of feet from me. Inches as I type this.

As for the rotating barrel, I shoot right or left handed, no truly dominant side and did notice that right handed it did twist slightly into my hand, not a problem but just getting used to it versus a straight back push. Left handed it did seem to want to twist out of my hand. Easy to control but still something to be aware of that practice did make perfect.

Yes, very happy to have a PX9G Storm in my assortment of Beretta pistols!

kaveman

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Sep 13, 2014
    La Porte
    Dang...a PX4 DAO pistol...I'd probably grab and carry one of those if I could find one!
    I sold my PX4 a few weeks ago because I am NOT a fan of the DA/SA trigger switch...
    Did a search last night and didn't see a type D DAO on GB but did find a type C but it's closed now. Might have picked that one up but it's a .40 and doesn't help me out of my 9mm magazine problem so I let it pass. A type C is a Glock style safe action,.......always on half cock, no safety, consistent trigger pull on every shot. Price wasn't bad but it didn't pull a bid. Seller may relist it.

Amishman44

Master
    Rating - 98%
    49   1   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Woodburn
    Did a search last night and didn't see a type D DAO on GB but did find a type C but it's closed now. Might have picked that one up but it's a .40 and doesn't help me out of my 9mm magazine problem so I let it pass. A type C is a Glock style safe action,.......always on half cock, no safety, consistent trigger pull on every shot. Price wasn't bad but it didn't pull a bid. Seller may relist it.

I saw that, and I looked up a Type 'D' and it looks like what I would like...and I want it in 9mm rather than .40, as a first pistol like that!

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    I was given some more 9 mm reloads
    so,
    another range time with this Beretta PX4 that I really like.
    POI low at 21' so POA must be higher than what I like.
    It could do fine at longer distances or with a heavier weight grain.

10 rds each circle (top right had 11 or 12 somehow).
    Range 10.03.2022 5.75 in circles on rest & free hand.jpg

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    I really enjoy the Beretta PX4 Storm that I bought from Amishman44 last June with 4 mags.
    Always loved the full sized Berettas, as well as the micro tip-up barrels.
    I use it as a home-defense gun, but if needed I could use it as a large CC with an OWB holster.
    I haven't shot it that much since I hoard my rounds of 9mm & really only use it for function checks occasionally.

1664929777056.png

Amishman44

Master
    Rating - 98%
    49   1   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Woodburn
    Interestingly, I stumbled across and purchased a PX4 Storm D model DAO 9mm pistol today...
    I've always been a fan of the DAO trigger...so new toy yahoo!!!!
    Can't wait to get it to the range and shoot it!

Amishman44

Master
    Rating - 98%
    49   1   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Woodburn
    Can't wait to hear about it & hopefully with a range pic(s)! :thumbsup:
    As you know, I liked the way it, the PX4, shot (accuracy, felt-recoil, etc.) I just didn't like the DA/SA trigger change-up. Finding the DAO trigger, which is something I've liked on other pistols, will hopefully make this the version I like!

Last edited:

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    As you know, I liked the way it, the PX4, shot (accuracy, felt-recoil, etc.) I just didn't like the DA/SA trigger change-up. Finding the DAO trigger, which is something I've liked on other pistols, will hopefully make this the version I like!
    after I read that last night I Google the PX4 DAO & found a video of a guy who bought one thio he was getting the regular DA/SA model.
    He only paid $325 for it, so he wasn't complaining.
    He really got to liking it the more he shot it.

kaveman

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Sep 13, 2014
    La Porte
    Congrats on the pick-up. I've been keeping my eyes open and have watched half a dozen go on GB since you brought it up a couple of months back. Prices seem to hover around 500 bucks and that's too rich for me at the moment. I've been scaling back and selling more guns than buying. I too love the DOA guns and aside from the three Berettas, have several dozen 3rd gen S&W DAO's along with a few FNs,.....and a SIG,......and probably a few I'm not remembering. The S&Ws are by far the most common and have the most variations. 9mm, .40, 45 in full size, compact and sub-compact. Stainless or blue, alloy or steel. One of my favs is a 5943 SSV which is a double-stack full size alloy 9mm frame with a compact blued slide,....Short Slide Variation. That's how specific and offbeat some of the S&W models are.

Man, I miss the days of LEO switching to soulless Glocks and selling off all their DAO guns cheap. $200-300 would buy just about anything. I paid more for the SSV and the 4586 but those two took some looking. They were giving 5946 and 4046 away. Smith is still manufacturing the 5946 for some contract somewhere. I've seen a few with the Houlton, ME address.

Amishman44

Master
    Rating - 98%
    49   1   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Woodburn
    after I read that last night I Google the PX4 DAO & found a video of a guy who bought one thio he was getting the regular DA/SA model.
    He only paid $325 for it, so he wasn't complaining.
    He really got to liking it the more he shot it.

What I really liked about the PX4 was how smoothly it show and how much less muzzle flip there was with the rotating barrel, of which I had read about it's mitigating muzzle flip but never experienced it until I shot the PX-4 and then...WOW!!!
    Finding that low muzzle flip and combining it with a DAO trigger...Whoopie!!!

Last edited:

kaveman

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Sep 13, 2014
    La Porte
    Another one to look out for is the Beretta Cougar DAO, 8000D, 8040D, 8045D. It's got the same rotating barrel lockup and an alloy frame. I have several of the 8040Ds, .40S&W. Nice shooting guns.

Attachments

• 20150828_184907_resized_1.jpg
      20150828_184907_resized_1.jpg
      229.8 KB · Views: 4
    • Beretta Cougar (1) (Small).jpg
      Beretta Cougar (1) (Small).jpg
      109.1 KB · Views: 4

Amishman44

Master
    Rating - 98%
    49   1   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Woodburn
    Just great...
    After reading through this thread I know have added the PX4 Full size to my want list.
    Thanks INGO.

I really think the PX-4 is not given the credit it deserves, in the personal defense world, probably mainly due to its being hammer-fired, but it's a quality firearm and not one to toss aside loosely in the firearm world.

Last edited:

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    I really think the PX-4 is not given the credit it deserves, in the personal defense world probably due to it's being hammer-fired, but it's a quality firearm and not one to toss aside loosely in the firearm world.
    I have had some trouble with striker-fired handguns, but rarely with a hammer-fired one.
    I prefer hammers, but maybe I'll outgrow that like so many other things in my journey.
    I have a friend who passed over the SW Shield Plus & recently bought the hammer fired SW CSX, which surprised me.
    Go hammers, haha! :lmfao:

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Today I had the pleasure of shooting this awesome Beretta PX4 Storm I bought from Amishman44, June, 2022.
    I wouldn't care if this was DAO, it shoots so smoothly in DA.

Blazer ammo.
    Row 1: Shot from 15' on rest & free hand
    Row 2: all 21' on rest
    Row 3: 30' on rest
    Range 03.10.2023 3.75in circles with PX4.jpg looking through rear sights.jpg lett side.jpg right side.jpg left side slide back.jpg right side slide back.jpg

gassprint1

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 15, 2015
    NWI
    Today I had the pleasure of shooting this awesome Beretta PX4 Storm I bought from Amishman44, June, 2022.
    I wouldn't care if this was DAO, it shoots so smoothly in DA.

Blazer ammo.
    Row 1: Shot from 15' on rest & free hand
    Row 2: all 21' on rest
    Row 3: 30' on rest
    View attachment 261649 View attachment 261650 View attachment 261651 View attachment 261652 View attachment 261653 View attachment 261654
    Got my px4 out today. Groupings were not as good as yours, but close enough...about 3" grouping. I forgot how nice and easy the trigger pull was. Had the walther pps m2 out also which has a much heavier trigger pull. ammo i used was perfecta 115grain fmj

Top Bottom