On this gun and other options

Thanks

Dj15802

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2013
    Avon, IN
    It depends on what you are expecting out of your first handgun. The Bersa thunder .380 is an excellent choice if if fits your needs. It shoots great with minimal recoil, easy to disassemble and clean, and feels comfortable in my hands. We've put a couple thousand rounds through one and it has never had an issue. So I'd add reliable too.

sliptap

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 25, 2013
    Indianapolis
    They are well built, affordable pistols and are comparable to Makarovs, Walther PPKs, Sig P230 etc...I shot a Bersa last week and it was a fun little shooter. There is plenty of good feedback online from various forums, if you want to look.

Really, it depends on your budget and what you plan on using your pistol for. If you're planning on carrying, I would recommend something in a 9mm (or bigger). The 9mm round is a lot more potent than a 380 and there are plenty of similar sized guns that you can afford. My personal choice is a Kahr CW9 or CM9.

If you give some more info on what you're looking to do it would help us make a better recommendation for you. At any rate, welcome to the forum!

Indy 1911

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 4, 2013
    I have had one for 15 years. Good shooter. I also just bought a Ruger LCP so I can carry it concealed easier than the Thunder.

pute62

Master
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 29, 2009
    Lawrence
    I've had a few of the Bersa 380's and never had a problem with any of them. I like the fact that they are da/sa with a hammer drop. They're accurate,dependable and easy to carry/conceal. The down side is;ammo is more expensive and Bersa's sell for as much as a quality 9mm. If I found one cheap enough, I'd carry it with no worries.

ultra...good

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2012
    No experience with the Bersa but I can say this in general;
    If at all possible you should try out the gun before you buy it. Find a range that rents them, borrow one from a friend, etc. It may feel good in your hand, but that is only part of it. How are you in terms of using it? Does it jump out of your grip or twist in your hand excessively? I shoot with a friend of mine and we have varying opinions on every firearm that we both own. He likes my .44 with the bigger grips, I like the smaller. My S&W 908 shoots low to the right for him while I pull up to the right with it, and on and on with the different models. Just making the point, it would be a shame to see you drop a bunch of money for something that really does not suit you so well. If you have money to burn, start your collection, it is a wonderful addiction.

In terms of a .380, a 9mm is just as expensive to feed, and the Bersa is just as big as certain models available in 9mm and bigger calibers, so why not look into something bigger?

God forbid you ever are so unfortunate to actually have to use your sidearm in self defense, but if you do, bigger holes are more effective in terms of stopping power.

My overall point, go with a friend that has a few types and try them out. Or, find a range/shop near you that rents a few different models and go in and talk to them. If you are serious about purchasing something, I am certain that they will also want to make sure they help you find something you are happy with. Nothing better then return customers, right?

Colinb913

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 15, 2012
    Newburgh
    My fiance has one. She loves shooting it, and I haven't had any issues with it. The sights are pretty straight forward, the action is smooth. I have never had a issue tearing it down, or cleaning it. .380 is a small round, but I'd still trust my life with it.

Most importantly she's comfortable shooting it, and is very proficient with it.

For you guys that say .380 is a weak caliber, I don't see many people lining up willing to be shot with it. But, this isn't a caliber discussion so I digress.

As for the gun, it's a great little carry piece. Easy to shoot, fairly accurate for something that small, and super easy to conceal, if that's your thing.

Lonestar6

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2012
    Hello...
    I am trying to decide on first handgun.
    Based on things I have read, the Bersa 380
    is a reliable choice.
    I would be interested in opinions and
    Suggestions from experienced handgun owners
    On this gun and other options

Thanks

BOTTOM LINE UP FRONT: you will likely enjoy a Bersa.

You are getting great advice here. Our first pistol we had the opportunity to try one out first. It helps when you are starting out to try out different models so you can get what fits your needs and become an educated consumer.

As for the Bersa; I was pining for a Ruger lc9 for some time, I handled a lcp at the January 1500 and was not happy with how it felt in my hands. Picked up a lc9 later and was back in the market; the Ruger just did not feel good in my hands.

The next day I stopped by PSS (Plainfield shooting supplies) and met the Bersa thunder .380. It fit me perfectly. I had read a lot about Bersa's but had never handled one, so I walked away. About an hour later I came back and bought it. I Headed directly to the range, did a quick field clean and sent some rounds down range. It is the perfect ccw for me. My husband has an xd9 which I enjoy a lot; a .380 is just a slightly lighter weight round in my opinion and is ccw compatible for me (I use an iwb remora holster which is working out well). I have put maybe 150 rounds through it in the last month and really feel comfortable and accurate with it. It is simple to maintain.

The Bersa is a double-single action and has an external safety similar to a Beretta M9 which you may or may not like. I carried the Beretta as a second weapon on 3 deployments so these attributes are familiar to me; the Bersa fits my hand better.

HTH, Good luck in your quest.

LS6

mamachay

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 12, 2013
    I have had a model 85 for a long time, NEVER failed to feed or fire. Still have it, mounted under my desk (just in case).

crispy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 29, 2010
    Noblesville
    I love Bersa 380s... HOWEVER...

The new Bersa BP9CC is the biggest argument against them.

Same size, good trigger, shoots well, more common/cheaper caliber...

qonorio

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 17, 2010
    Speedway, IN
    I had a Bersa .380 for many years. Never really had any problems with it. Bersa does make a 9mm. It is a bit bigger of a gun. I had the .40 it also worked wonderfully.

looney2ns

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2011
    Evansville, In
    Friend of mine bought a Bersa 380 month or so ago. It has proven to be extremely ammo picky. Even after 300 rounds.

She later bought a Bersa 22 so she could practice with basically the same gun as the 380 for less $$. It's even worse with being ammo picky. Now up to about 6 different ammo brands, and yet to find one that it likes.
    You should not have to jump through hoops to get a gun to work.

Buying a DA/SA for a beginner, in my opinion over complicates things. Look at a Ruger LCP, LC9 or LC380.

TopDog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    Bersa's are good dependable guns. My daughter switched from a .40 XD to a Bersa .380 with a laser a few years ago. Seems to be working for her, although I tried to talk her into a higher caliber. But better she have a .380 that she does carry as opposed to a .40 that she didn't carry.

Kagnew

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Columbus
    My vote would be for a Makarov - a true "PM" (Pistolet Makarova), made in the Soviet Union, East Germany or Bulgaria. It is almost exactly the same size as the Thunder 380 but can usually be found for a lower price, shoots 9mmX18mm Makarov ammunition (which is midway between the .380 ACP and the 9mm Luger), built like a T34 tank, accurate as H..., low recoil, and is extremely user-friendly (contains a total of 27 parts).

I would go with the Bersa over the Walther PPK or PPK/S, though - unless you enjoy getting the web of your shooting hand chewed up.

Kev

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 21, 2012
    South Bend
    I also have a Bersa .380
    I shopped around for a long time for a nice small carry gun. The first box I shot through had a couple stovepipe jams on exit, but likely due to a burr in the chamber. After the first box.. it has been perfect since.
    And it is accurate! Little kick-back.. yes, I recommend as a starter. then you can work up to a nice 1911. ;)

You won't regret it!

Top Bottom