• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Cygnus

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 24, 2009
    New England
    I have heard a ton of good on these guns. I have also heard there was a brief period where they had extractor issues. Possibly a spring.

Anyone have any info or what serial#'s to watch out for?

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    I have two Bersa 380s, a duo-tone Thunder 380 and a matte 380CC. Both were mfg'd in the summer of 2008 and both have had the disconnector spring issue. The DT 380 went back for warranty service and came back to me within a week and has not had an issue since. The 380CC also had a loose barrel lock pin and is being replaced by Bersa under warranty and has not come back yet. I bought the 380CC used and as a precaution, replaced the disconnector bar with a factory new one, thinking that the factory part would have been updated. It was identical to the one I removed, so maybe it was the spring that they updated. Actually, I've heard that it was a bad batch of springs that was causing the issue, but when I got the first gun back from the warranty center, saw that they had modified the disconnector bar to make the spring slot a bit deeper. It will be interesting to see what comes back when they return the replacement gun.

Even though these guns had the issue, the warranty center was very good about handling it as a warranty return. They are excellent shooters and are very accurate. I don't have a specific serial number range to go on, but have heard that there was a bad batch of springs made during 2008. My guns both seem to support that theory.

Bronsonbull

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 20, 2008
    just north of Indy
    I have two Bersa 380s, a duo-tone Thunder 380 and a matte 380CC. Both were mfg'd in the summer of 2008 and both have had the disconnector spring issue. The DT 380 went back for warranty service and came back to me within a week and has not had an issue since. The 380CC also had a loose barrel lock pin and is being replaced by Bersa under warranty and has not come back yet. I bought the 380CC used and as a precaution, replaced the disconnector bar with a factory new one, thinking that the factory part would have been updated. It was identical to the one I removed, so maybe it was the spring that they updated. Actually, I've heard that it was a bad batch of springs that was causing the issue, but when I got the first gun back from the warranty center, saw that they had modified the disconnector bar to make the spring slot a bit deeper. It will be interesting to see what comes back when they return the replacement gun.

Even though these guns had the issue, the warranty center was very good about handling it as a warranty return. They are excellent shooters and are very accurate. I don't have a specific serial number range to go on, but have heard that there was a bad batch of springs made during 2008. My guns both seem to support that theory.

Yep he's right. They were BT380s manufactured in 2008. Bersa will fix for free. However if you Google "Bersa Disconnector Spring removal" you'll see instructions and a youtube video on how to remove the magazine disconnector so you won't have the issue. Of course you'd be removing a safety so I'm not telling you to do this :)

However if you do, it takes 10 seconds and then allows the gun to fire without a magazine in it, which is often times thought of as a good thing (by some).

Again, I'm not saying to do this, I'm just saying :)

Cygnus

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 24, 2009
    New England
    Yep he's right. They were BT380s manufactured in 2008. Bersa will fix for free. However if you Google "Bersa Disconnector Spring removal" you'll see instructions and a youtube video on how to remove the magazine disconnector so you won't have the issue. Of course you'd be removing a safety so I'm not telling you to do this :)

However if you do, it takes 10 seconds and then allows the gun to fire without a magazine in it, which is often times thought of as a good thing (by some).

Again, I'm not saying to do this, I'm just saying :)

Interesting. So removing the mag disonnect would solve the issue IF one were to go that route. A side effect would be it would fire with ine in the pipe?

So were the single stack ones affected?

clfergus

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Mar 9, 2009
    Southeast Indy
    I purchased an all black one from Bradis summer 2009. I had the spring issue after the first 40 rounds. I popped it back in and got another 30 or so rounds out of it. Sent it back for warranty repair and it came back fixed....until 14 rounds and it happened again.

Thank goodness Bradis gave me all my money back toward a Glock.

check out :: Bersa Talk :: • Index page

Many people last year were talking about it. I heard it died down.

Me personally, I would look for a used model pre 2008.

Bronsonbull

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 20, 2008
    just north of Indy
    Interesting. So removing the mag disonnect would solve the issue IF one were to go that route. A side effect would be it would fire with ine in the pipe?

So were the single stack ones affected?

That's right. A lot of folks will order guns without mag disconnect safetie because they don't want them for a carry weapon. It does fix the spring issue but also eliminates that safety. The guns still have a manual thumb safety though.

That video of a guy holding it gangsta style is nothing to worry about. Without the spring, there is a small part that drops down and disconnects the trigger. With a mag in the spring pushes that part up and engages the trigger. With a broken spring there is nothing to push that piece up to engage the trigger. If you turn the gun sideways or upside down gravity pushes that part up so you can engage the trigger. Btw... You remove the spring and then that piece to remove the mag disconnect and solve the spring issue. Or if you want to keep the safety then send it back to Bersa to fix it.

Cygnus

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 24, 2009
    New England
    ^^^So if I get one and the sping breaks, I can "fix" it by removing it completely. Witht he side effect of losing the ,ag dis. safety...?

Top Bottom