• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ru44mag

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 6, 2013
    I have a thunder 380 and it's just not what I thought it could be. For me, it's too chunky to conceal carry. The ammo is expensive, so regular pinking isn't really an option. It just sits in the gun safe collecting dust.

I did not buy it to carry, but think it would carry nicely for me at 3 o'clock. Also, I probably would not have traded for it, if I could not feed it reloads that are about the same price as 22 long rifle. Different strokes for different folks.

YoungMilsurpGuy

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 18, 2013
    Crown Point
    Those bersa Thunders are nice little guns. I personally carry and shoot a Bulgarian Military makarov, and I consider the bersa thunder conceptually, mechanically, and functionally equivalent, though the Bersa carries a little better and is a bit more user friendly, while the makarov is a bit more robust and powerful.

I have personally recommended those guns to my college aged friends for a beginners carry pistol/self defense gun in a low threat environment.

Heres a question I have though, can these guns shoot the tulammo steel cased .380, because on the internet those rounds can be had for about $0.20 a round and that makes the kind of plinking and training you need to do to make these guns really effective affordable (with .380 and 9x18 I would not recommend anything but ball ammo and you need to have really good shot placement to be effective. Both the Mak and Bersa are capable of really good accuracy, but that requires practice and hence cheap ammo would be very important to achieve that end)

YoungMilsurpGuy

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 18, 2013
    Crown Point
    Those bersa Thunders are nice little guns. I personally carry and shoot a Bulgarian Military makarov, and I consider the bersa thunder conceptually, mechanically, and functionally equivalent, though the Bersa carries a little better and is a bit more user friendly, while the makarov is a bit more robust and powerful.

I have personally recommended those guns to my college aged friends for a beginners carry pistol/self defense gun in a low threat environment. To me it represents a low cost, low maintenance, reliable *minimum threshold of armament*.

Heres a question I have though, can these guns shoot the tulammo steel cased .380, because on the internet those rounds can be had for about $0.20 a round and that makes the kind of plinking and training you need to do to make these guns really effective affordable (with .380 and 9x18 I would not recommend anything but ball ammo and you need to have really good shot placement to be effective. Both the Mak and Bersa are capable of really good accuracy, but that requires practice and hence cheap ammo would be very important to achieve that end)

ru44mag

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 6, 2013

I have personally recommended those guns to my college aged friends for a beginners carry pistol/self defense gun in a low threat environment. To me it represents a low cost, low maintenance, reliable *minimum threshold of armament*.

According to these guys....No.

Tulammo

alex00

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 27, 2011
    I'm not much of an expert on guns like most people on the boards, but the Bersa .380 was my first gun and I still love it after owning for about 8 years. I don't shoot it too much but it shoots flawlessly every time. I believe when I first got it there were a few jams while it was getting broken in. But now it is great! I like how it doesn't have much recoil, and fits perfectly in my hands. I keep this one in my car for personal defense and have a S&W Shield 9mm at home.

And by the way the Bersa is the only guns I ever get compliments on for some reason. I took it to the range at the Huntington reservoir one time and the range master was saying how much he liked the gun- I think he knew somebody else that had one. I have the black with gold accents so it does stand out a bit. I'll probably eventually get another Bersa .380 but in the nickel finish.

jstory

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 14, 2015
    Wabash
    I love mine, great gun that eats anything I put in it. I carry mine daily and trust it. Mine is the double stack, and only just recently just found some extra mags.

darend505

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Dec 10, 2011
    Muncie, IN
    I've owned 3 of the Bersa CC, 1 of the Bersa Thunder, and still have a Thunder 9mm in stainless. I miss the .380, as it was the first gun I ever bought at a shop, sold it a few years, and have been looking at reacquiring the same three I sold. Had the black, stainless, and the two tone.

Would eat anything I fed them, without an issue!

If you have one that needs a new home, I am happy to give it the attention it needs!

MikeBrennan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 30, 2016
    Indiana
    It's kind of fun to see this thread...I don't know why I don't hear more about the Bersa 380 Thunder. It's a great little handgun.

I've ended up with a few of them, but had not shot them much given ammo supplies ....but then I just had a case of 380 show up so it looks like they will get out a bit!

Twangbanger

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 9, 2010
    Bersa also makes a "Plus" version of the .380 Thunder, which has a 15-shot capacity.

The full 15-shot mag. does function in our gun, with a full 15-shot mag locking into place under a closed slide, and the gun will strip the top 15th round from an open slide.

It also has tacky rubber grips that work well, and not a bad trigger. (Mag safety though).

I should mention it's my wife's gun, and the hammer bites me every shot though when I swallow it in my mitts and shoot it normally. I would love it as a plinker if not for that.

Last edited:

jstory

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 14, 2015
    Wabash
    Bersa also makes a "Plus" version of the .380 Thunder, which has a 15-shot capacity.

The full 15-shot mag. does function in our gun, with a full 15-shot mag locking into place under a closed slide, and the gun will strip the top 15th round from an open slide.

It also has tacky rubber grips that work well, and not a bad trigger. (Mag safety though).

I should mention it's my wife's gun, and the hammer bites me every shot though when I swallow it in my mitts and shoot it normally. I would love it as a plinker if not for that.

Got that one as my daily carry. Great gun with zero malfunctions in the couple thousand rounds I have ran thru it.

Klanham5576

Plinker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 12, 2014
    NE Indiana
    Bersa makes some fine guns. The Thunder series are all good shooters and carry guns. They are heavier than the lw polymers out their but not so much as to make them uncomfortable to carry. You do get what you pay for. A $300 gun is just that. It will go bang but will not have the fit and finish of other weapons.

Twr11

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 14, 2016
    McCordsvilles
    Never had any problems with FTF with my bersa 380. I have had it for about 15 yrs now. Last few times i took it to the range i was having FTF every mag i went through. After reading a little i found that i had actually had the recoil spring on backwards. The recoil spring is smaller on one end and of course i had the opposite. I have now flipped the spring and now it racks, i feel alot smoother. I have yet to take it to the range since flipping the spring to see if that was my problem. Anyone having and thoughts on this?

michaelward50

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2018
    Indianapolis
    Never had any problems with FTF with my bersa 380. I have had it for about 15 yrs now. Last few times i took it to the range i was having FTF every mag i went through. After reading a little i found that i had actually had the recoil spring on backwards. The recoil spring is smaller on one end and of course i had the opposite. I have now flipped the spring and now it racks, i feel alot smoother. I have yet to take it to the range since flipping the spring to see if that was my problem. Anyone having and thoughts on this?

Mine is the same on both sides. Do you have the Thunder .380? Are there variations in recoil springs that you know of?

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Mine is the same on both sides. Do you have the Thunder .380? Are there variations in recoil springs that you know of?
    Did you just necropost every single Bersa thread you could?

Necroposting_zps30a7efa6.jpg

Top Bottom