• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • NHT3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    I've had a few from different builders and at this point my personal choice if getting a new one would be a Wilson. Best to look at all of them and decide who builds exactly what you are looking for that has the least disgruntled customers.

[FONT=&amp]NRA Life Member[/FONT][FONT=&amp]-- [/FONT][FONT=&amp]GSSF member[/FONT][FONT=&amp]
    [/FONT]Ruger MK III, M&P & 1911mechanic
    NRA Basic pistol instructor[FONT=&amp] –[/FONT] Certified Glock armorer

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    Wilson Combat
    Guncrafter
    Ed Brown
    Les Baer
    That would be the ones I would look at. But that is just me.

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    Define "best"...

At certain levels - the $10,000 full-house custom gun from A Big Name custom house won't shoot any better than the $3000 semi-custom production gun.

And the argument can certainly be made that the workmanship on the $3000 is just as good as on the $10,000 piece. The $10,000 gun may have 50 hours of custom engraving done by a master engraver - something that has zero bearing what-so-ever on the shootability of the gun itself.

It's my opinion that above certain price points, guns are purchased as statement pieces / showpieces vs. actual "I'm going to carry and use this often" types. And I'm OK with that. I wish we could all afford to drop $10k on a gun that we'll never shoot.

THE BIG SITT

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 14, 2012
    Greenwood

I fingered one of these at the NRA convention here in town. Heavy, wide, and the slide was darn near impossible to rack. It was essentially two 1911s next to each other. And the slide being so stiff made me adjust how I rack it, and I (stupidly) got my palm stuck in the chamber when bringing it back down. Yeah, that left a mark. You would definitely be the only one at the range shooting one. But that may be due to no one else wanting one.

Vendetta

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Mar 9, 2013
    Lafayette
    Id be in for a nice Baer over 2k. Local shop has a Monolith and the trigger was unreal. Ive never held a gun that was physically that tight. I couldnt rack the slide. I mean physically couldnt do it without an overhand with all my might pull. With a casual pull on the slide serrations the slide didnt budge .001"

451_Detonics

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 28, 2010
    North Central Indiana
    Didn't see Clark mentioned, one of the oldest 1911 customizers in the business. I have shot a handful of his gun including pin guns, bulleye guns and carry guns and everyone was as slick as could be and was far more accurate than I will ever be. For a bit I even shot one of his 38 Special 1911s for Action Pistol.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Id be in for a nice Baer over 2k. Local shop has a Monolith and the trigger was unreal. Ive never held a gun that was physically that tight. I couldnt rack the slide. I mean physically couldnt do it without an overhand with all my might pull. With a casual pull on the slide serrations the slide didnt budge .001"

The slide to frame on most any Baer is so tight that you wonder how it functions.

PUalum04

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 9, 2010
    Hope
    I am very happy with my Springfield professional model operator. It was right at 3000.00 mark and is an amazingly tight yet extremely reliable pistol with a very nice look to it. The Springfield custom shop boys do good work.

There is a reason they have a 24 month wait. I ordered my Springfield Professional Operator directly from Springfield's Custom Shop back in May. Only 19 months to go!

midget

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Apr 2, 2010
    Leo
    Lots of great 1911's on the high price end. It is a long list and we all know the names. They run full page ads.

But I have always wanted to call Neil Keller in Decatur Indiana and tell him to build me a perfect one and price is no object.

Me too. I had one of his sv 2011's, should have never gotten rid of it

DocIndy

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Mar 30, 2010
    Franklin
    I will just leave this here.......ROGERS PRECISION. Chuck does amazing work on 1911s. And of course AllenM can build your dream 1911 with whatever parts you select.. That will get you over the $2k mark. :whistle:(Just don't tell the wife what the bill really was)

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I will just leave this here.......ROGERS PRECISION. Chuck does amazing work on 1911s. And of course AllenM can build your dream 1911 with whatever parts you select.. That will get you over the $2k mark. :whistle:(Just don't tell the wife what the bill really was)

My 1st thought on this was AllenM as I have watched him work his magic. If I had in excess of 2K he would be my 1st stop. He knows it to. He drives me nuts when starts pulling out the new pieces.

mshogren

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Nov 20, 2010
    Arcadia
    Currently have Benchmark Precision, Guncrafter Industries, Wilson, and Dan Wesson...the DW is my daily carry piece currently. I have had Ed Brown and Nighthawk as well.

All great choices, like was said before, figure out what options and look you want and then choose the right shop. I think most of the semi-custom and full custom shops make pretty equivalent guns anymore except for options and look.

Oh, and that is a Benchmark in my avatar with Wilson grips on it... :)

Mark

Top Bottom