• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BlueEagle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 3, 2011
    Southern Indiana
    Thinking about adding a .357 lever action to my stable. It'll be a multi-purpose gun; SHTF and deer hunting, mainly. Plus target practice of course.

I mainly went with .357 over .44 in the interest of ammo availability. As a SHTF type gun, I feel like having a rifle that shoots .357 and .38, (the two most common revolver rounds in the country,) could be very handy. The fact that it is deer-legal in Indiana is also handy.

I know it's not as good as a .44 mag for "rifle" hunting in Indiana, but I'm willing to trade a bit of power for that ammo availability. I'll just have to work on shot placement. ;)

So, on to the main question; what brand or model would you recommend?

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    Another for the Marlin. I have one and the only drawbacks are the safety (if you use it) and the front sight is so tiny, it's hard to see. The trigger is great and the action is smooth. I looked into putting a scope on it, but I don't plan to shoot any farther than 75 yards, so the iron sights are good-to-go.

GunSlinger

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jun 20, 2011
    Right here.
    You'll never regret buying a Henry. Smoothest action on the planet, and a lifetime warranty to boot. Henry's customer service is second to none as well, and they are made in America of all American materials.

DeadeyeChrista'sdad

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Feb 28, 2009
    winchester/farmland
    I did have a Winchester 94 in 30-30, and frankly, it was pretty harsh. Bought a Marlin 336 and never looked back. Smoother action and trigger, and handles recoil much much better. When it came time, I bought a Marlin in the .44 mag, and what it does to deer with even a cheap scope on it is downright disturbing. Even with the Remington acquisition, I'd still pick Marlin. That said, a friend collects Henrys, and they are quite a work of art, too.

Slow Hand

Master
    Rating - 99.3%
    146   1   0
    Aug 27, 2008
    West Side
    I have an older Rossi and love it! That being said, they can be a bit rough when new. Mine has had quite a few rounds put through it and has slicked up nicely.
    When it came time to buy rifles for my sons, I got them marlins. I mainly did that because of ease of mounting a scope or reciever sight. I bought the rifles before the boys were norm, so in case they don't grow up to be horses like daddy, they can put a scope on top for easier deer hunting.

The '92 Winchester action is very strong and smooth, but harder to put optics on, if that matters to you. I think it's a personal choice. Try and handle both and see what you prefer.

Oh, and I think your choice for a .357 levergun is top notch! I'd have one over a .44 any day! I can shoot .38 special target loads all te way up to my hand cast 195gr .357 loads @ 1600fps all day long!

wagyu52

Master
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Sep 4, 2011
    South of cob corner
    I would take my Marlin 1894 in .357 every where, if only I could conceal it.
    Older Marlin and Rossi are the best, for a new gun Henry big boy are super smooth but heavy. There are some 1873 Win Clones out there that are really nice, but they don't come cheap.

FordMan08

Shooter
    Rating - 96.2%
    24   1   1
    Nov 26, 2008
    Parts Unknown
    Another for the Marlin. I have one and the only drawbacks are the safety (if you use it) and the front sight is so tiny, it's hard to see. The trigger is great and the action is smooth. I looked into putting a scope on it, but I don't plan to shoot any farther than 75 yards, so the iron sights are good-to-go.

I replaced my front sight with a bright fiber optic, its a million times better now.

ghhhhhgghg.jpg

357 Terms

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 28, 2012
    Between SB and FT.W
    I have experience with both the Henry and the Marlin.

Both are excellent!

For the money you really can't beat the Marlin tho.

I have XS ghost ring sights on my 1894 CSS, makes for an accurate, reliable, powerful ( my reloads are far stouter than factory fodder) and compact rifle.

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    Another vote for Marlin.

BTW, I have no compunction about using .357 mag in lieu of .44 mag in Indiana at 125 yards or so and in. They both have virtually the same trajectory over that range.

See here ==> 357 or 44 for lever carbine-ballistic curves? - Shooters Forum

And, the .357 out of an 18" carbine hits with as much punch at 100 yards as when fired from an 8" barrel at 50 yds. Plenty for deer and it can be loaded down w/38s and solids for plinking or small game.

opus1776

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 28, 2008
    Marlin 1894c in .357 is a great choice. Look for the JM on the barrel instead of the REM to insure top quality.

:+1:

======================================
    "Nothing tastes as good as skinny feels" K. Moss
    You can NEVER be too rich or too thin.
    Life is not a journey, but a series of unplanned detours...
    Perfection: is not a goal---it's a demanded expectation.

dom1104

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 23, 2010
    I was thinking about picking up one of these.....

Uberti 1873. Anyone have any experiance?

1873_short_rifle_lg.jpg

Top Bottom