• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dross

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Monument, CO
    By all-around, I mean shooting clays for fun, mostly upland birds, some waterfowl. No need for slugs or home defense.

My Dad had a Remington 1100 12 gauge that I liked when I was a teenager. For price I'd like to stay under $700, though I'd pay more if someone made a good case for it.

I love the idea and the beauty of an over/under, but if that doesn't make sense, tell me why.

Talk to me.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    I love my over and under. It is great for shooting clays and upland game hunting. If you are a dedicated wing shooter and want something with class go this route. Beretta, Browning, or Ruger Red Label are where I would start. Nothing beats a good break action shotgun when hunting pheasant or entertaining clients on a clays course. The extra forward weight really makes them swing nice.

But.......there are times that I don't want to take my Red Label out of the safe. A duck blind is no place for shiny bluing and walnut. Standing in the pouring rain blasting dove is terrible for the finish. You get my drift.

If I were only going to own one shotgun for sporting purposes (not home defense) it would be a good automatic. The one I currently use is a Winchester SX2. Mine is solid black synthetic. It would work fine for any type of wing shooting including clays, ducks, dove, and even upland game. For the autos I really like the "B" guns Browning, Berretta, Bennelli. The Winchester SX2 and now SX3 is manufactured by FN which is basically a non-dressed up version of the Browning Gold.

Remington 1100 is also a fine auto.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    I will also add that 12 guage will be more versatile. 20 guage is better to carry, lighter, and jumps to the shoulder with ease. 20s are fantastic upland guns. The 20 is a bit light for waterfowl.

I would stick with a standard 3" chamber 12 guage. The gun will cost less then a 3.5" chamber. There is a wide variety to target loads, steel loads and heavy game loads available to do whatever you need to do.

If you like the idea of a lighter gun but want the 12 guage, then take a look at the light weight models of Browning Gold and Bennelli. They are sweet! Unfortunately they cost more the $700.

LEaSH

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Aug 10, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Over under would be fine for your needs. Or a side by side or even a single shot.

They're simple and elegant, and prices can be all over the place. Stoeger on up to Franchi and beyond.

I bet you probably have some nice firearms, so you'll just have to weigh how much you want to spend for the level of craftsmanship you want to have in your gun.

An 1100 can eliminate all the indecision if you want to go that way, too. 16ga works for me on pheasant, rabbits and doves. But that's through an old Ithaca pump. I've used 1100s in 12 gauge and they're fine - also a bit more hefty. My dad has an over under Franchi. It's sweet and pretty, but not for me. I worry about scratching someone else's $2000 gun.

bbarker

Marksman
    Rating - 97.7%
    42   1   0
    Apr 8, 2011
    SE Indiana

For versatility, I would go for an 870 or an 1100 if you want an autoloader. Easy to get parts if the need should come up. If you want to up the price a little, the Winchester SX3 is a sweet autoloader but a little more costly.

Yukon227

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    May 15, 2011
    Henry County
    I hunt with an 870 most of the time...when I shoot clays I like the wide sight plane of a side by side stoeger...not too expensive but VERY reliable

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 17, 2009
    Tampa, FL
    I have a beautiful old engraved AYA side by side 12 gauge that I love to take out in the field. It is, however, very much a field gun and not a skeet gun. 1 round of skeet and my shoulder feels like it was hit by a sledgehammer. You'll be looking for a heavier gun for skeet and high volume field shooting (ie doves) and a lighter gun for a lot of walking and less shooting. The plus side is you can get a beautiful old side by side at bargains because everyone is convinced they MUST have a semi.

revsaxon

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 21, 2010
    Plano, TX
    If you have the money, a Benelli M4. If not a rem 870. Both can be configured for just about any situation, will run reliably despite taking an ungodly amount of abuse, and can still be made to look perfect sitting on a mantle.

tradertator

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Jul 1, 2008
    Greene County
    I really like my Franchi I12, and it would fit your budget. The action is the same as a Benelli, without the price tag. Mine will handle any load I have fed it, butter smooth bolt, and is a devastating clay bird gun. The recoil pad has a gel insert on it, and sucks up the recoil than any other shotgun I've owned.

Long story short, I sucked @ the clay bird game before, and now I can keep up with the best of them.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    I really like my Franchi I12, and it would fit your budget. The action is the same as a Benelli, without the price tag. Mine will handle any load I have fed it, butter smooth bolt, and is a devastating clay bird gun. The recoil pad has a gel insert on it, and sucks up the recoil than any other shotgun I've owned.

Long story short, I sucked @ the clay bird game before, and now I can keep up with the best of them.

:yesway: Have not shot them though. Fondled a few at the store. Franchi looks like a solid choice.

Top Bottom