• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • joemich1911

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 25, 2011
    Fort Wayne
    Please give me some insight as to your opinion regarding a good all around shotgun. Looking to get into duck and goose hunting this year and the reviews on some of these guns are fifty one way and fifty the other. I would like an all season semi-auto that won't break the bank. Thanks for the input!

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    I would suggest pump. A good semi will cost more. The other issue can be with loads. Shotguns designed to run 3 inch magnums don't always like to cycle light loads.

JohnP82

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 2, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    Best all around to me is the Mossy 500 or Remmy 870, but both are pump action. If I want a semiauto shotty... Saiga 12 all the way FTW!!! :rockwoot:

:D

I know there are nice semiauto shottys out there I just don't have experience with them other than the Saiga. All of my shotguns are pump. Good luck with your search! :ingo:

Zoub

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Northern Edge, WI
    Please give me some insight as to your opinion regarding a good all around shotgun. Looking to get into duck and goose hunting this year and the reviews on some of these guns are fifty one way and fifty the other. I would like an all season semi-auto that won't break the bank. Thanks for the input!
    http://www.benelliusa.com/shotguns/benelli_m2_american_series.php

Benelli M2 American. It is a bare bones M2 sold the way they sell it in Italy but it is full fledged M2. It does not have the comfortech stock and comes with fewer choke tubes, no fancy case.

Go to Dicks and ask to see one. They list 899 I got mine 799, they go on sale about twice a year for the 799 price. Only a couple retailers seem to carry them. In Indiana it may just be Dicks?

Benelli's web site only has the 12 listed but it comes in 20 as well. Synthetic stock with 26" or 28" barrel. Get the black and paint it the way you want it (or don't)

I finally bought one of the 20's in 26" because years ago I regreted not buying the short lived M1 20 gauge field gun. Also, my GF took over my favorite Beretta 20 so I needed it anyway. I plan to backtrack and get one of the 12's next to use as a duck gun.

Don't buy a cheap, POS new Russian made Semi auto that many offer now. If you can't afford a new Remington, Benelli or Beretta, buy used. Beretta use to have a similar priced gun for the American market at Walmart. Same marketing guys, same trick now being used by Benelli.

Last edited:

iamaclone45

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 2, 2009
    Indiana
    Remington 870 or Mossberg 500

Find somewhere to hold both in your hands and decide which you like better.

When I was shopping for a shotgun I was split between the two. I held both at the same time and decided the Remington 870 felt more solid.

thegeez

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 5, 2010
    Northeast Indiana
    You should be able to find a good used Remington 1100 or 1187 at a gun show for a resonable price.I agree with the comments on the Remington 870=it can't be beat for reliabiliy and price.These are always available at gun shows also-new and used.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    For a Pump the Remington 870 or Benelli Nova.

For an Auto Remington 1100, Winchester SX2/SX3, Browning Gold. As a sporting gun I really like my semi auto. They are suitable for use in a duck blind, work over upland game and don't beat the snot out of you on a clays course.

Just my opinion so take it for what it is worth.

geno2k

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 23, 2011
    Remington 870 supermagnum or mossy 835. both are pumps but you can shoot nearly any loading from light quail loads to 3.5 inch turkey and waterfowl loads with opnly a choke change. Add a slug barrel to the mix and its good to go after nearly anything. even with the extra barrel you may be able to keep it under 600 bucks.

paperboy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 18, 2009
    Pulaski County
    Remington 870 or Mossberg 500

Find somewhere to hold both in your hands and decide which you like better.

When I was shopping for a shotgun I was split between the two. I held both at the same time and decided the Remington 870 felt more solid.
    What he said....I like the feel of the 870 but I like how the safety and slide release are located on the Mossberg.....

illini40

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 28, 2010

What price would break your bank?

Do you care to shoot 3 1/2" shells?

Since you are asking about semi-auto for waterfowling, I must vote for the Remy 1187. I have an 1187 12 ga in the black synthetic - fantastic gun. It has cycled through all loads I have ran through it. It will be getting its first run in the duck blind this fall.

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    The best, Made in America, semi-auto hunting 12 gauge shotgun is the Remington Versa Max. The next closest is the Benelli followed by the Franchi.

They are really all good shotguns. It really comes down to how each feels in your hands.

I hope this helps. (really, someone suggested a Saiga for a hunting shotgun????)

Last edited:

Yukon227

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    May 15, 2011
    Henry County
    IF you were asking my opinion on a pump, I'd say 870.

Since you are asking about a semi auto I will suggest an 1187 magnum, not super magnum. My reasoning is this: 3" shells are cheaper, and in my opinion more effective than 3 1/2" shells. MY OPINION. Plus the super mag is less likely to reliably feed light load shells. If you take close, comfortable, truly "humane" or "sportsman-like" shots you will have plenty of gun. By this I mean shots at ducks and geese committed to decoys, not passing 50 to 60 yard hail marys. Also choke tubes and barrel options are readily available for this gun. So if you wanted to deer hunt with it just add a cantilever slug barrel and your scope should stay close to zero if it isn't beat around too much. Many other manufacturers offer a similar gun, but the 1187 seems to be on the lower end of the price range.
    :twocents:

Also with any shotgun keep in mind that sometimes the weather can get rough, if you use a dry lube when it is really cold your gun will be less likely to freeze up, I've made more than one trip to the truck to put a gun on the dash to defrost it...

Last edited:

Kart29

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 10, 2011
    If you own one shotgun, it ought to be a Rem 870. There's nothing more reliable and versatile. I think the Rem 870 has a smoother, sturdier action and is easier to disassemble/assemble than a Mossberg 500.

I don't care for autoloading shotguns. I guess they'd be okay as a second gun if you already have something better.

Top Bottom