• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Dewidmt

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 27, 2008
    South of the Muscatatuck
    I've got an older 12 ga. Rem 870 Express I bought back in the early 90's. Have shot rabbits, squirrels, quail, pheasants, chukar, ruffed grouse, ducks, goose and deer. Put a IC choked smooth slug tube on it and shot skeet, trap with the standard barrel. Put a side saddle and a tube extension on it and ran it in 3-gun..... best all around shotgun EVER in my opinion. Also have two Mossberg 500's, but their forearms tend to rattle and I don't think they are built as well.
    I've had many people over the years ask me "if I could only have one gun for everything, what should it be?" I tell them to buy an 870!

BigMatt

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 22, 2009
    I really like the 870. I have a 12ga magnum combo with a slug barrel and 26" bird barrel. It will take anything I want to take with it and will ask for more. I have it loaded for HD right now.

If I were to have to choose my favorite shotgun though, I would choose the Winchester model 12. It is the classic pump. I love the lines and the feel when I rack the slide. There is something about shooting a shotgun that my grandpa, or great grandpa could have shot. They work just as well today as they did in 1912.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    I really like the 870. I have a 12ga magnum combo with a slug barrel and 26" bird barrel. It will take anything I want to take with it and will ask for more. I have it loaded for HD right now.

If I were to have to choose my favorite shotgun though, I would choose the Winchester model 12. It is the classic pump. I love the lines and the feel when I rack the slide. There is something about shooting a shotgun that my grandpa, or great grandpa could have shot. They work just as well today as they did in 1912.

Growing up in Michigan the Model 12, like you say was the pump shotgun. Funny how things change. The 870 was considered the workhorse pump for those that couldn't afford the Model 12. Pretty sure it was the Ford/Chevy thing though. I remember people who owned both talking about how theirs was better. :)Mossbergs were considered cheap. I had a Mossberg 190 when I was a kid. Not much to brag about.

TWalker

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 31, 2010
    New Castle
    Everything in your description would lead to either the 870 or the 500 mostly because the barrels and other accessories are easier to find. Another good option is Winchester 1300, I bought mine with both barrels and really like it.

I personally think the best all around shotgun is the Remington Versamax. It's ate everything I've given to it including the light cheap loads. However, It's not cheap and things for it aren't cheap either.
    I've had an FN MK1 and it was kind of finicky with some of the light stuff. I also have an 11-87 that won't cycle light loads and Franchi LAW that will only eat the expensive stuff.

As for the KSG, it isn't my favorite. I haven't messed with the Utas or any other bull pup shotty.

I have a Weatherby pump shotgun that is a rebranded TriStar I believe. I think there are much better options for the money. I bought it to help a guy out.

ghuns

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    If you want semi-pretty, Browning BPS. My Upland Special is my favorite shotgun. If you want to be able to beat it, Benelli Nova.

Top Bottom