• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • semperfi211

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 17, 2008
    Near Lowell
    It's time for tires on my F-150 4x4, 8 foot bed. I was unhappy with the all season BF Goodrich tires that are finally about worn out. I want something that is good on snow and ice and wears well for all year use. I wonder if an all terrain tire would be better. My off road use is just deer season. We get allot of drifting snow out here and that is my main concern. I was wondering if there are tires that you are really happy with.

Naptown

Master
    Rating - 100%
    70   0   0
    Dec 8, 2008
    Fishers, IN
    I had a set of BFG AT's that I put 80k miles on. Loved them. This time around, I just bought a set of Nitto Terra Grapplers. I have been happy with them so far. Both are AT's, both can be run on road too.

AngryRooster

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Outside the coup
    Michelin LTS MS2. When we bought our 4Runners we had the dealer take those crappy Duller tires off and put these on. They were on my Trooper before. We're on a farm in Randolph County with lots of drifting snow and the county doesn't touch our roads much. We don't have any problems with the fields either when we drive back there. The tires have about 20K miles on them and still look new. The tread wears nice and they are quiet on the road.

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Michelin&tireModel=LTX+M/S2

Tire rack has great reviews and information. Look at the "surveys" tab and do comparisons from that.

w_ADAM_d88

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Apr 10, 2009
    Greenfield
    I've got a set of Bridgestone Dueler A/T Revo2 on my 4x4 F150 and have had no issues with them. They handle great in all weather conditions, and even drove 650+ miles in an ice/snow storm (the entire way) thru the mountains from here to VA a couple years ago.

CHCRandy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 16, 2013
    Hendricks County
    Big O has a nice A/T that I bought last time. 3 year free replacement, no pro rate. It is not quite as aggressive as the Mud Terrain.....but I plow snow and had no problems last year. This is first time I tried A/T........I usually buy mud tires, but I was tired of the road noise 9 months out of the year.

Goodyear and Firestone both sell a nice mud terrain but they are expensive.

mShu7

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 17, 2012
    Hendricks County
    Go read reviews on TireRack.com

I have an '04 Colorado Z71 4x4. I put Firestone Destination AT's on at 116k and now have 150k with LOTS of tread left. The tires have been fantastic in every single aspect. I'll be buying them again for sure when they eventually wear out, which might be a while. I absolutely love them in the winter.

Can't go wrong with Michelin LTS MS2 either, just a lot more $$$$.

bocefus78

Master
    Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    Apr 9, 2014
    Hamilton Co.
    If you want a true AT tire, get the BFG all terrains. They are noisy on the road just FYI.

If you want more of an on road tire that can handle some off roading and snow, the Michelin ltx ms2 is hard to beat. Great ride on the highway and quiet as all get out. I plowed snow with these on my plow truck so I can say with authority that they handle snow well.

I also have a set of cooper discover MS tires.....thay don't ride like Michelins, but they are 200$ cheaper and do just as well in the snow and ice. Also on a plow truck.

sepe

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Accra, Ghana
    It's time for tires on my F-150 4x4, 8 foot bed. I was unhappy with the all season BF Goodrich tires that are finally about worn out. I want something that is good on snow and ice and wears well for all year use. I wonder if an all terrain tire would be better. My off road use is just deer season. We get allot of drifting snow out here and that is my main concern. I was wondering if there are tires that you are really happy with.

I'm in the same situation as far as the drifting snow and ice. The best I've seen for ice is the Bridgestone Blizzak DM-V1 but that is a winter tire (it would be fine for light off road use and the tread life is really good). For an AT, Firestone Destinations are really good. The surveys and reviews on the Tire Rack include people that get much more snow than Northern Indiana and some say that they're the best all around tires they've ever bought. Another good AT is the Goodyear Wrangler AT Adventure with Kevlar (much stronger sidewalls than the Destinations). I've used Yokohama Geolanders on a regular cab long bed 2wd in the past and never had a problem with light off road or snow/ice. Even during a bad ice storm back in the late 90's, a couple hundred pounds of sand over the axle and those tires and I rarely lost traction. If I was doing it again with a newer truck, I'd get some steelies and some dedicated winter tires. Try to get the ones you've got to last a little longer and replace those in the late spring early summer so you can have the best of both worlds.

zoglog

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Sep 20, 2009
    Hendricks Co
    I second the Michelin LTS MS2.

My buddy like them so much he ordered some for his truck as well.

Then for what its worth, I always bought Michelins for all my vehicles and have always been happy.

Indy317

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 27, 2008
    As one who might be in the market for a truck in the next couple of years, what do you folks say about chains? Seems one could save money by just getting a decent set of chains and not having to spend what I'm guessing is a high premium for specialty tires.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    Been running Duratracs on my Jeep for a few years now and aside from requiring a good bit of weight to balance I have no complaints. They're quiet, tread life is good and they've handled snow and ice very well. I put a set of Nitto Trail Grapplers on my truck earlier this year, they are reported to do well on snow and ice but time will tell.

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    As one who might be in the market for a truck in the next couple of years, what do you folks say about chains? Seems one could save money by just getting a decent set of chains and not having to spend what I'm guessing is a high premium for specialty tires.

Instead of chains, I'd run Auto Socks http://www.autosock.com/en/ really light, easy to put on and they work. A buddy of mine runs a set on his 18 wheeler in the mountains out west.

Last edited:

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    I really like the Michelin LTX M/S 2. I had them on my last truck for about 60K miles. Just put a set on this truck, when the stock Bridgestone (junk) tires wore out.

If you want more aggressive tread, they make an AT version of that same tire.

Quiet, great traction year around, and wear like iron.

FishnHunt

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 18, 2013
    Churubusco
    I've had BF Goodrich AT's, Bridgestone Dueler A/T Revos, & Cooper Zeon LTZs plus a few off brand tires. I wanted to like the BFG's but I think the Revo's were the best performers. Probably the quietest as well.

indyjohn

PATRIOT
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    In the trees
    Michelin LTS MS2. When we bought our 4Runners we had the dealer take those crappy Duller tires off and put these on. They were on my Trooper before. We're on a farm in Randolph County with lots of drifting snow and the county doesn't touch our roads much. We don't have any problems with the fields either when we drive back there. The tires have about 20K miles on them and still look new. The tread wears nice and they are quiet on the road.

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Michelin&tireModel=LTX+M/S2

Tire rack has great reviews and information. Look at the "surveys" tab and do comparisons from that.

I second the Michelin LTS MS2.

My buddy like them so much he ordered some for his truck as well.

Then for what its worth, I always bought Michelins for all my vehicles and have always been happy.

I really like the Michelin LTX M/S 2. I had them on my last truck for about 60K miles. Just put a set on this truck, when the stock Bridgestone (junk) tires wore out.

If you want more aggressive tread, they make an AT version of that same tire.

Quiet, great traction year around, and wear like iron.

They're all talking about the same tire. It is a superior tire- 70,000 mile treadwear, high heat, load, and speed rating, excellent wet traction. Perfect for a SUV. I drive 25K+ highway miles per year and highly recommend them for that application.

If you use your truck for driving back to the deer stand, you'd be better off with the BFG All-Terrain T/A KD tire (the KD is the heavy duty version and you want it)

Either of these tires are stupid expensive but when it comes to tires, most of the time you get what you pay for.

Top Bottom