Best Android tablet for the least amount of money?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    Seems strange to want "the best" but for the least amount of money...

But that's what I'm after as a V-Day gift for my roommate.

Through my employer, I'm able to buy an HP Slate 7 Plus for $149 (probably + tax and + shipping)

Personally - I'm a little leery of HP products... At least as far as desktop and laptop computers are concerned.

What else should I look for?

Uses of device: basic browsing, playing a few low-key games (Euchre, Soduku, Solitaire, etc).

-J-

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    Seems strange to want "the best" but for the least amount of money...

But that's what I'm after as a V-Day gift for my roommate.

Through my employer, I'm able to buy an HP Slate 7 Plus for $149 (probably + tax and + shipping)

Personally - I'm a little leery of HP products... At least as far as desktop and laptop computers are concerned.

What else should I look for?

Uses of device: basic browsing, playing a few low-key games (Euchre, Soduku, Solitaire, etc).

-J-

Gotta ask... Why are you getting your "roommate" a Valentine's Day gift?

Snapdragon

know-it-all tart
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NW Indiana
    That sounds like a good deal on the HP slate. I've had good luck with HP computers. First time I switched to Dell, I had issues.

JWAS

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Aug 22, 2011
    Dayton
    I have the nexus 7... it is amazing!!! And not too expensive, and when I bought it on the first day it was $250. Should be closer to $220 now.

4sarge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    FREEDONIA
    I always buy HP and have Never been disappointed. The wife has a Vizio tablet, it runs fine but Google is no longer updating the OP system. That in itself limits you to only the older apps. Check the OP system upgrade availability before buying. She got an IPad mini for Christmas so that isn't a dire problem any longer.

partyboy6686

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Oct 9, 2011
    Indianapolis
    My wife bought my step daughter a Tiro Stealth G2 10.1 tablet from walmart for $100 during the black friday shopping. It has been a real good tablet for $100. Only complaint I have with it is the cheap charger they include. But it will also use a Micro USB charger which is about what every cell phone uses now a days. So I gave her one of my many spare Micro USB chargers to use with her tablet.

rjstew317

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 13, 2010
    Fishers
    I would go with the Galaxy tab 3 7". I chose it over the nexus 7 because it has micro sd and a IR blaster. the nexus has a faster processor and more ram, but I wasn't looking to do any "hardcore" gaming or computing with the thing. you can find the galaxy for sub $200 everywhere

Rob377

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Dec 30, 2008
    DT
    I have the nexus 7... it is amazing!!! And not too expensive, and when I bought it on the first day it was $250. Should be closer to $220 now.

I have the 2nd Gen Nexus 7. Bought it for $200 just before Christmas. The 1920*1200 screen resolution is great for ebooks and web-browsing, and was the key selling point for me.
    Android KitKat gives up alot of refinement compared to iOS, but it's usable.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    I've been seeing Kindle Fire HDs in the same price range as the HP I mentioned above...

The Nexus 7 may be on the radar, too. REALLY hope to keep this $150-ish. Preferably less, but I don't want an absolute POS.

Still on the hunt. Thanks all for your suggestions!

Jack Burton

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 9, 2008
    NWI
    Sams has a very nice 9 inch model for sale for 99. It is a one time purchase. Android 4.1 with pretty good bells and whistles. It's not a 300 tablet but for light stuff it should do.

stevee

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 29, 2013
    Avon
    I bought the 8 inch 99 dollar Nextbook at Walmart and am happy with it since I only use it for simple stuff. I purchased a keyboard and case that is designed specifically for it from Amazon to use in instances where I couldn't figure out to force the keyboard up (Daily Word Jumble).

PeaShooter

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    bought the wife a samsung galaxy tab 3.0 7" for christmas. Got it at Costco for about 159. that was with a $10 off special, not sure what they are now, though. Nice tablet. My son has a first generation nexus 7 that is still going strong. Whatever you do, get a protective case for it.

amboran

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 25, 2008
    Brownstown,IN
    Nextbook 8 in tablet

I also have this tablet.( Nextbook 8 in--$99 .Great tablet-the 8 in screen seems a lot bigger than the 7 in tablets in everyday use.Has a dual-core processor and upgradeable ram(micro sd card).Even plays videos ok-am very happy for 99 bucks..

Top Bottom