• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • cookch

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 31, 2018
    Taswell
    Hey everyone, I've been debating on getting a new silhouette target for practicing with my AR-15. I was wanting to get some peoples opinions on what is the best target to buy for a relatively cheap price? Also, if anyone has just bought some ar500 steel and made their own I'm not against building my own! pictures please!

schmart

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Nov 10, 2014
    Lafayette
    If you decide to to try and make your own.. just remember that the metal has been heat treated to make it hard. So in working the steel to make targets, temperatures must be kept in check. This also means, no welding. Given that it is hard, it will be very difficult to drill.

Now.. if you have a water jet cutter at your disposal, I'd say go for it!

ACC

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    134   0   1
    Mar 7, 2012
    N. Side of Indy
    Bobcat is a good source.

I bought a nice nice dueling tree from INGO member mik1202002. I think he makes is own targets.

I have ave also had good luck finding inexpensive ar500 plates on Sportsman’s Guide.

fordfarmboy

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 18, 2012
    Morgan County
    Check out magnum target.com .I got ar500 plates ,2 12" square 3/8 plates an 1 12x20 from alro steel in beachgroove for I think $135 then I cut holes with plasm cutter to hang them .

bos-94-003

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Aug 9, 2013
    Marion
    I bought all mine off Ebay. Been shooting fmj at them for over 5yrs with no dimples. FB_IMG_1546493451225.jpg

Bad pic but assortment of 8" hangers, 4" knock offs, 6" tree, 10" gong and 2 silhouettes

Clay Pigeon

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Aug 3, 2016
    Summitville
    Hey everyone, I've been debating on getting a new silhouette target for practicing with my AR-15. I was wanting to get some peoples opinions on what is the best target to buy for a relatively cheap price? Also, if anyone has just bought some ar500 steel and made their own I'm not against building my own! pictures please!

To build your own know this, most home shops don't have the needed equipment and tooling to drill AR500 plate, you can use a plasma or torch to cut and make holes. You will soften the edges around when you use heat to cut, but steel targets are a shooting consumables.
    They will eventually flex, crack and fail.
    You most certainly can weld AR 500, I build new and I rebuild vibratory plow blades that are made from AR500 on a daily basis.
    AR500 isn't just surfaced harden like lots of steel, it's through hardened. To drill it I use either carbide annular cutters of carbide lock drills and flood coolant with both.

Edit, you will get better life from 1/2" or thicker plate..
    I suggest Bobcat in Shelbyville, you will get a good product from him.
    Steel targets isn't a place to cut corners...

schmart

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Nov 10, 2014
    Lafayette
    You most certainly can weld AR 500,

ClayPigeon,
    You obviously have more experience than I do... When welding AR500 material, how do you keep the welding process from annealing the base material near the weld and making a soft spot? Whenever I've tried welding hard steel, I end up with a stress point that relatively quickly breaks out? I don't have the ability to preheat so have just gone at it with a stick welder... with unsatisfactory long term results.

--Rick

Top Bottom