• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • roscott

Master
    Rating - 97.5%
    39   1   0
    Mar 1, 2009
    I've got a 11.5" BCM barrel on my AR pistol. While dwell time can be an advantage for cycling and not damaging cans, as many have said, there are plenty of good shorter AR's out there.

What you give up is velocity, and that's important if you plan to shoot anything besides paper. When I was researching lengths, I found that 5.56 is really only an effective combat round because it tumbles, and it only tumbles over a certain velocity. Slow it down enough, and you lose effective "tumble-range." Slow it down enough, and it won't tumble even at hallway distances. I don't recall the exact numbers of "x barrel will keep y speed until z distance," but IIRC you really start losing under 11".

avboiler11

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 12, 2011
    New Albany
    Indeed.

Many people shooting SBRs are concerned about max effective fragmentation range for M193, M855, or even Mk262...when the reality is modern expanding bullets allow impressive terminal effects at substantially lower velocities than FMJ or OTM bullets, making max effective range much further than what a 'warfighter' might be limited to.

cop car

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 7, 2009
    Southside
    IMO there is nothing wrong with setting up your rifle for the most common ammo found. there is also nothing wrong with setting up a rifle for a specialized purpose. Rifles are packages. Ammo, barrel length and twist, optics and the rifle as a whole have to be planned out together.

Indeed.

Many people shooting SBRs are concerned about max effective fragmentation range for M193, M855, or even Mk262...when the reality is modern expanding bullets allow impressive terminal effects at substantially lower velocities than FMJ or OTM bullets, making max effective range much further than what a 'warfighter' might be limited to.

ljk

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    May 21, 2013
    MK18 is 10.3", all 4 of my SBR are 10.5", never had any problem with it.

BCM says 11.5", well the are not on the MK18 contract like DD, LMT, etc.

Top Bottom