• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Cozy439

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 3, 2009
    Milan Center
    Wife is a fan of Makers, Four Roses Single Barrel, Knob Creek and Rocking Horse. I love all those she likes + Four Roses Yellow label, Buffalo Trace, Devils Cut, Rebel Yell, Evan Williams and Beam Black.

There are so many good varieties out there anyone can find a favorite. Let yourself try new things and enjoy.

If you are interested and have the time, try a 2-3day trip on the Kentucky Bourbon Trail. (see link below) I was barely a bourbon taster until we stumbled onto this coming home from a hunting trip in Tennessee. Great folks, wonderful bourbons and an all around good time. I have done it twice with my wife, half of it with my folks and the 1st time with buddies.

Kentucky Bourbon Trail - Where the Spirit Leads You

Miketodd

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Wife is a fan of Makers, Four Roses Single Barrel, Knob Creek and Rocking Horse. I love all those she likes + Four Roses Yellow label, Buffalo Trace, Devils Cut, Rebel Yell, Evan Williams and Beam Black.

There are so many good varieties out there anyone can find a favorite. Let yourself try new things and enjoy.

If you are interested and have the time, try a 2-3day trip on the Kentucky Bourbon Trail. (see link below) I was barely a bourbon taster until we stumbled onto this coming home from a hunting trip in Tennessee. Great folks, wonderful bourbons and an all around good time. I have done it twice with my wife, half of it with my folks and the 1st time with buddies.

Kentucky Bourbon Trail - Where the Spirit Leads You

2-3 day trip?? Psssshhh, My brother and Dad went to Woodford Reserve, Buffalo Trace, Four Roses, Makers Mark and Heaven Hills (Evan Williams) in one day. All we needed was Jim Beam and Wild Turkey to complete the whole trail but ran out of time due to it being a Saturday and the distilleries closed early. It was a LOOONNNGG Day but one the three of us will always remember.

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    I'm interested as well. The website is not helpful at all. Just shows states it's sold...not actually locations. Also I tried to email them and the email got bounced back saying a filter blocked my email.
    BIG RED liquor has all the Indiana Bourbons, and since they bought out United, there are locations all over the Indy Metro and surrounding areas.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    Picked up these 3 today.

I was looking for BACKBONE Bourbon but the shop didn't have it. Backbone is a Hoosier produced bourbon.

The Beer Barrel is from Holland Michigan and is aged in traditional charred oak, but then moved into beer barrels at the end of the aging process and held in beer barrels for 3 months.

imagejpg1_zps0f29b519.jpg

CountryBoy1981

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Why is Jack Daniels considered Tn. whisky and not bourbon? What is the difference?

All Tennessee whiskey is bourbon but not all bourbon is Tennessee Whiskey. Tennessee Whiskey complies with the minimum requirements to be called a "bourbon" but also has additional requirements to be called a Tennessee Whiskey. In order to be called a Tennessee whiskey it must be made in Tennessee and go through the Lincoln County process. If Jack Daniels didn't go through the Lincoln County process or wasn't made it Tennessee then it would have the label of bourbon.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    All Tennessee whiskey is bourbon but not all bourbon is Tennessee Whiskey. Tennessee Whiskey complies with the minimum requirements to be called a "bourbon" but also has additional requirements to be called a Tennessee Whiskey. In order to be called a Tennessee whiskey it must be made in Tennessee and go through the Lincoln County process. If Jack Daniels didn't go through the Lincoln County process or wasn't made it Tennessee then it would have the label of bourbon.

Not quite.

If you go to the Jack Daniels website you'll see that they clearly state the JD is not bourbon.

Also look here for a good explanation => http://bourbonobserver.blogspot.com/2009/06/filtration-and-lincoln-county-process.html

Last edited:

Master
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Jul 9, 2011
    Hamilton County
    W.H. Harrison - Indiana Straight Bourbon Whiskey

The standard is around $30. Their "Governor's Reserve" is around $60... but oh, so worth it. I have not tried their "Presidential Reserve."

I looked for this today at Payless Liqours, which for my area, has a pretty go selection of whiskey/whisky. I could not find it and asked and they said it's been a long time since they have seen it and cited "production issues". Any idea what he is talking about or if I need to look somewhere else?

Master
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Jul 9, 2011
    Hamilton County
    This thread has turned up some great suggestions....I wanna make sure I don't miss out on something really great that's only a bit more. So anyone want to sound off on something in the $50-$100 range that's a must try?

CountryBoy1981

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Not quite.

If you go to the Jack Daniels website you'll see that they clearly state the JD is not bourbon.

Also look here for a good explanation => The Bourbon Observer: Filtration and the Lincoln County Process

A quote from your the article you posted:

Jack Daniel's and George Dickel, which are the only two Tennessee whiskies, meet all the legal requirements of bourbon set forth by the Federal Regulations.

Jack does not want to be called a bourbon but since it complies with all the Federal Regulations it is a bourbon. Jack Daniels being a bourbon is like a live oak tree being an oak tree. A live oak tree is an oak tree, but other oak trees are not live oak trees.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    A quote from your the article you posted:
    Jack Daniel's and George Dickel, which are the only two Tennessee whiskies, meet all the legal requirements of bourbon set forth by the Federal Regulations.

Jack does not want to be called a bourbon but since it complies with all the Federal Regulations it is a bourbon. Jack Daniels being a bourbon is like a live oak tree being an oak tree. A live oak tree is an oak tree, but other oak trees are not live oak trees.

Yes, very nice selective quotation on your part.

It also states how they are different:
    Boubon is also filtered, but in a very different manner from Tennessee whiskey. . .

And the Lincoln County process filtering is one way, and when it is filtered is the other way.

JD can meet a legal definition but still not be considered bourbon.

Thegeek

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 20, 2013
    Indianapolis
    Bourbon goes from the still to the barrel. Because JD "charcoal mallows" the white dog before barreling, it can NOT be called bourbon.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Tried of a bit of this last evening. Indiana Bourbon that is aged and bottled in Holland Michigan. So I presume that means the mash is made in Indiana and then transported across the state line in vats to be casked and aged??? Or maybe its all done INSIDE the state of Indiana and the process is simply managed by New Holland Brewing, which is based in Michigan? They don't really say, other than the fact that its Indiana Bourbon.

imagejpg3_zpsceb64f21.jpg

imagejpg1_zpsbad9197d.jpg

imagejpg2_zpsd73fb955.jpg

Tried some of it straight up and some with a single ice cube.

There was some alcohol burn straight up that was all but eliminated with the single cube of ice. Flavors seemed to open up a bit with the ice as well, making for a very pleasant and drinkable bourbon. Not as sweet as I thought it might be.

Top Bottom