• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama

I like Zachary Boone Bourbon....And it is cheap...$12.99 on sale at Kroger...I was mixing it with RC at first but this weekend I had some straight up on the rocks and really liked it...

Which is it?

Straight up -OR- on the rocks?

Two different things.

FWIW, I'm a big fan of Makers Mark and Old Weller. Both are inexpensive. Old Weller is usually under $20/bottle but Makers is above $20. Bourbons don't have to be expensive to be good. Somewhere along the way this "under $50" thread has gotten off the original topic and moved into a more general discussion about bourbons of all price ranges.

Brandon

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 28, 2010
    SE Indy
    I am going to probably get flamed for this and told that my taste buds are forever tainted by my hillbilly DNA to be able to appreciate a good bourbon but I am going to say it...

I like Zachary Boone Bourbon....And it is cheap...$12.99 on sale at Kroger...I was mixing it with RC at first but this weekend I had some straight up on the rocks and really liked it...

There...I feel better.....

:lala:

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Which is it?

Straight up -OR- on the rocks?

Two different things.

FWIW, I'm a big fan of Makers Mark and Old Weller. Both are inexpensive. Old Weller is usually under $20/bottle but Makers is above $20. Bourbons don't have to be expensive to be good. Somewhere along the way this "under $50" thread has gotten off the original topic and moved into a more general discussion about bourbons of all price ranges.

On the rocks...I am afraid I do not use the proper nomenclature.....

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    On the rocks...I am afraid I do not use the proper nomenclature.....

NO PROBLEM, I was just unsure if you had it both ways or which way.

WELCOME to the thread and thanks for the contribution :yesway:

Can you tell us a bit more about it? Spicy? Sweet? Burn in the mouth? Burn in the belly? Oaky? Etc? Honestly I've heard of the brand Zachary Boone, but many brands seem to be very regional in distribution and we don't have Kroger where I live so I can't go look there. I know my regular shop doesn't have it.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Oh and this happend.

2015 release of the Old Forester Birthday Bourbon. Released every September, usually hits stores at the end of Sept or early Oct. Typically allocated but not so rare that it can't be found.

image.jpg1_zps6zotjwxx.jpg

Ballstater98

Certified Bro Shark
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 18, 2015
    NWI
    Oh and this happend.

2015 release of the Old Forester Birthday Bourbon. Released every September, usually hits stores at the end of Sept or early Oct. Typically allocated but not so rare that it can't be found.

image.jpg1_zps6zotjwxx.jpg

:yesway:
    Finished off a bottle of Larceny last night.
    Going to finish off a bottle of Maker's tonight...this means I have a couple voids to fill. :D
    Tomorrow, I think I'll crack open the Eagle Rare.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Eagle Rare:drool:

I don't know why, but I just don't like it. I know I am in the minority with my opinion. Most people love it. Just not me.

Tonight I'm drinking A D Laws "Four Grain" bourbon. Its my second time drinking this. First time I had it I think I liked it. Not so much tonight, but I blame the fact that I had chili for dinner and the bourbon is burning with every sip that hits my belly. Probably as much to do with heartburn as anything else. Probably shouldn't even comment on bourbon after eating chili.

Brandon

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 28, 2010
    SE Indy
    I don't know why, but I just don't like it. I know I am in the minority with my opinion. Most people love it. Just not me.

Tonight I'm drinking A D Laws "Four Grain" bourbon. Its my second time drinking this. First time I had it I think I liked it. Not so much tonight, but I blame the fact that I had chili for dinner and the bourbon is burning with every sip that hits my belly. Probably as much to do with heartburn as anything else. Probably shouldn't even comment on bourbon after eating chili.

To me its about as good as one can get for $30ish. Makers is good, I'd give Eagle one point over MM :( I still won't give up my MM though... And I understand 100%, seems like many like Buffalo Trace, I didn't care for it :(

Ballstater98

Certified Bro Shark
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 18, 2015
    NWI
    Ugh. The timing of all these type of events never follow my schedule.

I haven't had Eagle Rare in quite a while. So much, I can't remember the taste (keeping in mind tastes change), so we are rolling the dice. The bourbon I have given many chances, but can't get behind: Four Roses

Cygnus

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 24, 2009
    New England
    They gave the process - everything else not so much. Select markets, I'm sure Indy will have one or 2 places.

I checked my email after I saw vereyone's post on this. I am hoping there;s a place or 2 around here that has it. Custonm (sort of) stave choices, extra aging and cask strength. Thta tell sme I want to try it if the proce isn't rtdiculous.

Cygnus

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 24, 2009
    New England
    Picked up:
    Evan Williams Single Barrel Vintage
    Bulleit (giving it a second chance)

Bulleit didn't win me over when I tried it either.
    The Evan Williams SBV is pretty dang good.

So is that^^ the Japanese market stuuff ?
    I recall seeing a blue and white waxed version around after the Colts won (was living in FW then). There was a blue and red version out here a few months back. I got one for Father's Day.

Hey, can you reccomned a rye to try?

Cygnus

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 24, 2009
    New England
    Rittenhouse, Wild Turkey, or Old Overholt. I'd lean to the Rittenhouse. Bulleit is a high rye bourbon (they also make a rye), so if you didn't like it you may not like rye whiskey.

Thanks!

It wasn't that I didn't like it. It didn't wow me. Of course I am used to Maker's.
    Is Temptation Rye any good? Knob Creek Rye? (I like regular Knob Creek )

Brandon

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 28, 2010
    SE Indy
    Temptation is ok. It's been a while since I have cracked the bottle open. I don't remember it being harsh but I also don't remember anything special about it.
    Yup, that is the Japanese bottle, nothing to fancy about it but something hard to get over here!

MM did release a bottle when the Colts won the SB. It was a numbered release, each bottle is hand numbered - I have one of 6,XXX bottles.

Ballstater98

Certified Bro Shark
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 18, 2015
    NWI
    Sipping on the recent procurement of Bulleit (giving it a second chance) and thinking to myself, "Man, for someone out there, this is their go-to brand." Not a big rye guy, but as a positive, the finish does last. Just makes me appreciate other selections even more. See you possibly in 2020 when have released your new line now that your Four Roses contract will be up.

Cygnus

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 24, 2009
    New England
    Knob Creek Rye will be affacting my posts this eveing....No Riitenhourse or Overholt.I'm not a Turkey fan. This looked interesting and was 100 proof.
    So far I have two sample glasses poured. One neat, one iced. Peppery lasting finish staright. Rocks kinda opens it up. Definately different from Maker's. Now I under stand the wheated/rye thing a little better.
    Do I dare mix it in a sour mix???

Top Bottom