• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Fizzerpilot

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2016
    Avon
    Gave Blanton's a try recently. Not bad. Cool bottle.

I rarely put rocks in my alcohol, but this one's a bit strong with the smoke. One or two cubes cuts it down nicely.

B_original.png

Bottled by hand, I saw it at Buffalo Trace last week. Cool little shack!

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    Not under $50/bottle (its close to $100) ... but Jefferson's OCEAN CASK STRENGTH bourbon just won the gold medal and was ranked BEST IN FEST.

Not as exotic as Pappy, not as hard to find as any of the B.T.A.C. bourbons, but its hard to beat being ranked BEST, and while its not cheap, its actually attainable for less than several hundred dollars a bottle, in fact less than $100 is the price I see on the shelves.

M67

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 15, 2011
    Southernish Indiana
    Figured this thread could use a bump, here's my current sub $50 bourbon selection

Usually not a KC drinker but the 120 isn't bad.

OKI is a pretty good one too, don't have a regular one at the moment but do have a single barrel bottle, unfortunately not $50

Also a fan of rye whiskey too so have a good selection of that

M67

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 15, 2011
    Southernish Indiana
    Rye is very peppery. I've never heard rye described as sweet.

Probably depends on peoples' taste buds and how they describe flavor. I'm drinking a Rye Jim Beam right now (late and didn't want good stuff) and while it is spicy and peppery at first, the finish is sweetish. I have some 3 year rye Willett that I'd also describe more as sweet than peppery.

Different oak barrels, age time, different places where the grains come from, etc.

That being said.......looks like rye whiskey is acceptable for the thread. Game on, pics tomorrow

Edit to add. Sipping some Boondocks whiskey right now. Heavy corn mash bill. Aged 11 years in used oak barrels. Vanilla and sweet but not green label Angels Envy sweet. It's a good sipper

Pic add:

Last edited:

Benp

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Mar 19, 2017
    Avon
    When our barrel was ready we went and got a couple of bottles of Makers Mark, we enjoy it. Now I'm wanting to try some of these others in the near future.

EPeter213

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 4, 2016
    Floyd/Harrison
    Has anyone tried Cooper's? I saw it at Wine and More in Louisville, but spent my money on Angel's Envy and a bottle of Crystal Head Aurora instead. Wondering if I should go back for the Coopers.
    9968213753886.png

Last edited:

M67

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 15, 2011
    Southernish Indiana
    A good friend of mine (my bourbon guide) said he wasn't a fan of Coopers. Didn't have a lot of flavor.

Lucky bastard got 2 bottles of Colonel EH Taylor 4 grain tonight. He didn't get them for retail, but it's not like you'll find that stuff in Indiana

confused89

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Aug 31, 2009
    IN
    I may have posted this earlier but I do enjoy 1792. I tried some Sam Houston and liked it so I went back and bought their other bottle. If I could find it again I would buy more of it.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    Harrison 8 year Governor's Reserve is available again after being out for 2 years.

Lucky bastard got 2 bottles of Colonel EH Taylor 4 grain tonight. He didn't get them for retail, but it's not like you'll find that stuff in Indiana
    It is available in Indiana at retail. Just have to know where to look. At least 1 store I know got 3 cases of EHTaylor 4 Grain.

M67

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 15, 2011
    Southernish Indiana
    Curious.

Anyone know why/how a bourbon develops condensation inside the bottle?

It's opened, but it's not a bad cork (tried it in a different bottle to same effect) and does it in different household climates

Top Bottom