• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ptt811

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 26, 2010
    Fairbanks, IN
    I want to load some self defense ammo for my 9MM carry gun. I have never really loaded much 9MM ,but I was thinking of using the Hornady Critical defense Bullets. I am stuck on weight...? Is it a fair statement to say that for Close range Defense AMMO a Heavier Bullet is best ???

XtremeVel

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Feb 2, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Not sure you could get that particular bullet for loading your own. I also have never seen federal's HST's available either.

Hornady does offer it's XTP line to reloaders at a very reasonable price.

Speer, while more expensive than the XTP's, also offers their Gold Dot line to load your own...

The best weight will be determined by what your guns likes best, in terms of BOTH function and accuracy. I'd work within the 115gr and 147gr weights for a SD load. If it was me, I'd try their 124gr first...

Lastly, work within the intended velocity ranges of whatever particular bullet you decide on... They are constructed for optimum performance within a certain range...

Last edited:

ptt811

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 26, 2010
    Fairbanks, IN
    Hornady does offer it's XTP line to reloaders at a very reasonable price.

...[/QUOTE]
    Thats the Bullet I was talking about ..I thought it was what the ammo used ..my mistake

Skip

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2010
    12 miles from Michigan
    Personally, I like the 147gr @ 1000fps BUT, it all depends on the firearm you are shooting them out of. Some semi-autos have a lower barrel axis than others. This means that the firearm has less "flip" recoil and more "in line" recoil. Some semi-autos have unsupported chambers and pushing the limit is not too wise.

So for me, in my Sigs, I use ligher bullets, 125gr is fine, while in our Glock's, I push the envelope with slow powders with heavier bullets. Just me. YMMV

peberly400

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 22, 2012
    Warsaw
    If your gun works properly with 147 grain bullets, I would go for them. Also, I am a big fan of the speer gold dots. Accurate, great expansion and reliability. I use them in all my sd guns

Broom_jm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2009
    The 9mm cartridge was designed around the 124gr bullet weight. Generally speaking, it still offers the best compromise of velocity and energy, plus there is little to no chance they won't work well in your gun. Personally, I've never loaded any other weight bullet for the 4 different 9mm's I own.

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    Make the hit in the right place and bullet weight won't matter to the receiving guy.

I reload 115 and 147 JHP. I am confident in both. I have been issued the 124 GDHP in the past and I felt confident in that also.

Hits in the right places are far more important than bullet weight or style.

dtkw

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2009
    Bloomington
    I have 115 for paper targets, 124 GDHP for home defense. Also have a magazine with Remmy Golden Saber. As far as killing go, I have no clue which would do what. However, I do not wish to find out unless it's the end of the world SHTF situation.

Top Bottom