• ...and so much more!
  • SHEEPdOHdoubleG

Plinker
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 20, 2011
    East Central Indiana
    I was wondering if I could get some suggestions for a good place in Indiana to go camping, backpacking, etc. for the weekend once it gets a little cooler. I am fairly new to this so please nothing too extreme (if there is such a thing in Indiana). Suggestions and comments are appreciated.

cbseniour

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Feb 8, 2011
    South East Marion County
    We spent 3 nites at Tapsaw creek in the Hoosier National Forest last week. While the weather was unbearably hot it was one of the best campground I've found and only $25/nite for my 31 ft 5th wheel. Probably only 8-10 for you guys who really camp.
    A great place well kept not at all busy and in a beautiful setting

fennsta_78

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 2, 2011
    Westfield
    Go to Perry County! It has: German Ridge,Tipsaw, Indian and celina lakes, saddle lake and mogan ridge. There are numerous other places to camp there as well. You wont find a prettier county in the state of Indiana. Yeah, Im a little biased having grown up there.

71silverbullet

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Oct 30, 2010
    Southern, In
    +1 for perry county. There is a nice loop trail called twin lakes trail (think thats right) it can easily be split into a two day hike, camp on the back side of the lake, finish out the trail the next morning. I think that goes around Indian, and Salina lakes. The camp groung is really nice should you decide not to wilderness camp, best showers I've seen at camp grounds.
    Well marked trails too.

need4speed255

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 12, 2011
    Turkey run and Shades state park. Especially for hiking. That stuff looks like prehistoric times. You wouldn't expect to see nature like that in Indiana.

bkflyer

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2011
    I've had good luck with Lake Monroe. You can car camp, drive 20 min and hike to your hearts content or you can backback. Granted it's no Yosemite or Yellowstone but it's fun for 2-4 days of camping.

sig shooter

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Apr 23, 2008
    Spencer, Indian
    McCormicks Creek state park. Located in Spencer, Indiana. Will you be in a camper or in a tent. They have both electrical and primitive camping. This is a very nice state park. They also have several trails.

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    I like spring mill State park at this time of the year. When it is at the hotties of the day grab a couple of flashlight and retreat to the caves. There is a nice trail in the Nature presurve that features OLD GROTH forest. One of the only places in Indiana with an area that has never been logged out. A nice little set of old buildings at the mill also to look at.

Kart29

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 10, 2011
    I like winterime camping in a fish & wildlife area. You will have the place all to yourself.

Sitting by the campfire on a cold, clear night, listening to the ice crack on the lake, owls hooting, coyotes howling... snap, crackle, pop of the campfire, nobody else around, no bugs or mosquitos... You just can't beat it.

sadclownwp

Grandmaster
    Rating - 97.7%
    43   1   0
    Jan 6, 2010
    NWI
    I like winterime camping in a fish & wildlife area. You will have the place all to yourself.

Sitting by the campfire on a cold, clear night, listening to the ice crack on the lake, owls hooting, coyotes howling... snap, crackle, pop of the campfire, nobody else around, no bugs or mosquitos... You just can't beat it.

I can think of several things that beat that, but nothing where you keep your cloths on. But if your scenario involved sleeping in a sleeping bag for two, then it might not be able to be beaten, lol.

PistolBob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 6, 2010
    Midwest US
    I like spring mill State park at this time of the year. When it is at the hotties of the day grab a couple of flashlight and retreat to the caves. There is a nice trail in the Nature presurve that features OLD GROTH forest. One of the only places in Indiana with an area that has never been logged out. A nice little set of old buildings at the mill also to look at.

I believe the caves are closed due to the white nose bat fungus epidemic.

http://www.in.gov/dnr/fishwild/5404.htm

xring62

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    Henry county
    Hoosier National is best but you have to carry all you need, no water & shower house,but NO idiots next to you being loud all night .

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 14, 2011
    colorado
    charlestown state park is never crowded and the bath houses are always clean and well stocked with butt foder.
    The best part is it's 30 miles from clifty falls,we used to camp at charlestown and drive up to clifty to hike

Top Bottom