• ...and so much more!
  • 88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    The good news is that you are buying at a time when we have an unparallelled selection of just about anything you could possibly want. The bad news is that there is an unparallelled selection to choose from, so there are lots of them out there to try out. For a carry gun, you typically balance 3 different attributes. Those are Caliber, Weight and Size.

Typically, caliber for a SD gun will run from .380 up to .45. There are smaller and larger calibers, but those are the norms you'll find in a gun store. The smaller the caliber, the easier it is to shoot. The larger the caliber, the longer it takes to get the sight back on target after each shot.

Weight plays a role in how easy the gun is to carry and shoot. Light guns carry well but can be a pain to shoot. Heavy guns make it easier to shoot by damping the recoil, but can be a pain to carry.

The size of a gun impacts how easy it is to conceal, carry and it's capacity. Larger guns are harder to conceal, but carry more rounds. Larger guns can be uncomfortable if you spend a lot of time sitting. They can wreak havoc on furniture if allowed to come into contact. But, larger guns are easier to shoot well due to the sight radius. A smaller gun can conceal easily, but takes more skill to be accurate with.

What works for you will depend on what's important for you. Everybody is different and what works for one will not necessarily work for another. You can go with a large, light gun that has a huge capacity of a small caliber like a PMR-30 or you can opt for a heavy, smaller gun that shoots well while retaining a decent level of conceal-ability like an all steel CZ 75 Compact. There are other things to consider too. If you are willing to invest in high quality carry gear, you can carry a heavier gun more comfortably than someone with a light gun and cheap, low quality carry gear.

I'm not really trying to tell you what to carry, but just giving you some ideas of what you will run into when choosing. Small, light guns in a big calibers can be rough to shoot, but can be effective if you build skill with them. Big guns in smaller calibers can be a dream to shoot but may not be as effective unless shot well.

Onrails

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 16, 2013
    I really like the balance of my sig 239 9mm but with 8+1 I could go a little smaller and get 10+1 with the glock 26. I prefer shooting the Sig but as a ccw I just want to get the job done. I need to do a little comparison shopping myself.

jbdhere

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 9, 2013
    Floyd County
    With no question, the Ruger SR-9. $429 at GGG in Greenville.
    17 shots of woop-ass out of a gun with a great trigger and tight groups.
    I have 3 of these. One for me, my son and my daughter has the SR-9C.

I hear the SR-40 is just as good.

bhyman9

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 17, 2011
    For me it was the Keltec p3at but since have been searching for the next one just haven't found it yet. Really like the XDs in 45 but could never really decide on a comfortable holster.

Patriot3

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 11, 2012
    Kokomo
    Personally for carry I'd go with a revolver chambered in 357 mag with a short 2 inch barrel. Like an sp101 or a smith gun. You could also go the route of a small 9mm glock like a glock 19

Big Ram

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 18, 2013
    If you want full size and don't mind some weight go with a carry 1911 or full size. My EDC is a sig 1911

pimpskillet

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 8, 2013
    Fort Wayne, IN
    Glock 30 chambered in " .460 Rowland - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia ".

80 gr (5 g) 3,050 ft/s (930 m/s) 1,680 ft·lbf (2,280 J)
    180 gr (12 g) JHP 1,560 ft/s (480 m/s) 1,000 ft·lbf (1,400 J)
    230 gr (15 g) JHP 1,340 ft/s (410 m/s) 930 ft·lbf (1,260 J)
    230 gr (15 g) FMJ 1,340 ft/s (410 m/s) 930 ft·lbf (1,260 J)
    260 gr (17 g) FMJ 1,150 ft/s (350 m/s) 770 ft·lbf (1,040 J)
    :) Need a bigger spring tho... another #4-#6 I believe...

apilcher

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 5, 2012
    The one you will carry all the time. I have a few that I fail to - but mostly the G19/LCP/G21 depending on many factors.

Top Bottom