• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • in625shooter

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    15" of penetration in ballistic gel does not necessarily = 15 inches of penetration in tissue. The FBI standards set that depth in gel for a reason. Because of real world shooting results they have found their recommendations will more than likely have the depth in tissue to reach vitals. With most rounds for LE and personal defense handgun rounds it is desired for the round to sty in the body while going deep enough to get the vitals. If the round properly expands that happens more time than not however various barriers cause various results.

Understanding Ballistics Gel | The Bang Switch

GunsNstuff

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 92.3%
    12   1   0
    Feb 27, 2011
    Indianapolis, IN
    Any caliber is good in my opinion. If you have to shoot at someone, they're not going to stick around to laugh at your gun's caliber. If they do, drop your pants and act like a chicken. They'll think you're crazier than they are and probably leave you alone.

HuntingBear

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 29, 2013
    Greenwood
    Unless you develop the proper shooting skills, caliber selection is not that important. I carry a 40S&W. I have used .357mag & .38 spcl (in the good old days), 9mm, and 45acp. Some shoot great others can be a challenge. Hitting the target is vital. A deer can be killed with a 22LR (I don't advise doing it) or with 8 bore. The 10mm might look impressive but you have to hit the target. It is my opinion one should select the caliber that he or she can shoot effectively. Otherwise I suggest a shotgun or hand grenade is a better alternative. (A 12 gauge with slugs will produce a very large wound channel).

Hohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    USA
    15" of penetration in ballistic gel does not necessarily = 15 inches of penetration in tissue. The FBI standards set that depth in gel for a reason. Because of real world shooting results they have found their recommendations will more than likely have the depth in tissue to reach vitals. With most rounds for LE and personal defense handgun rounds it is desired for the round to sty in the body while going deep enough to get the vitals. If the round properly expands that happens more time than not however various barriers cause various results.

All true, as far as I know. If given the choice between "wasting" energy with excessive penetration and stopping short from over expansion, I will take the former every time. Penetration is king-- expansion is not a substitute, but is a definite enhancement IF sufficient penetration is already achieved.

Bfish

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 24, 2013

Great article! That deserves a thread

Hohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    USA
    One other thing to consider about ballistics gel approximation--

Lots of times, gel testing may represent the MINIMUM penetration you will see, much like shooting into water. This is because the JHP hits the gel and starts expanding rapidly. Anything that hampers expansion INCREASES penetration. You will find many tests in the FBI protocol (as most handgun loads are tested against) where a round has MORE penetration after going through windshield glass or a steel panel (simulating car door) because these barriers prevented or limited bullet expansion.

When a bullet is shot into water, gel, or sand, the impact energy is dissipated rapidly throughout the media. With rapid expansion, this dissipation is greatly accelerated, reducing overall penetration.

All that to say that a round that comes in at 10"-11" in naked gel testing might still be an excellent defensive loading because of the disconnect between shooting gel and shooting something else.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Any caliber is good in my opinion. If you have to shoot at someone, they're not going to stick around to laugh at your gun's caliber.

You aren't worried about them laughing at you, you are worried about them continuing their actions and causing you harm. Not everyone runs when they are shot, and even those that have wounds that will ultimately prove fatal can do a lot of damage before realizing they are dead.

I've heard 4" is deep enough to hit vital organs.

It might be if everything is perfect. Things are rarely perfect, though. We tend to imagine a shooting with the target facing us and shoulders square, just like the targets at the range. What if the person is bladed? What if you hit the shoulder first and the bullet has to travel through the arm to get to the chest? 4" isn't getting anywhere near an organ. Belly shot? 4" isn't much on a bigger guy.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    So what does 12" of penetration in the gel translate to in real life?

There is no direct correlation, because people are not made up of a single material of consistent density like a block of ballistic gel. A shot that hits a rib will penetrate differently than a shot that goes between the ribs and both will be different from one that hit the belly, because bone, muscle, and fat are all different densities.

Allenicomp

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Carmel Indiana
    As VN Vet suggests, the caliber I "prefer" is determined by how I'm dressed. In winter or colder weather where clothes, coats, and jackets are required, Commander sized 1911 in 45 acp is easily concealed. When it's hot and muggy and I'm down to shorts and tee-shirt, little Kahr P380 or Seecamp 380 in an inside the pocket holster/wallet becomes my new best friend. My observation is that the specific ammo choice is as important as the caliber. Some of the "critical-defense" ammo in even the 380 will certainly leave a mark on the bad guy.

HamYankee

Expert
    Rating - 97.5%
    39   1   0
    Jan 24, 2014
    Hendricks County
    Out of curiosity, I would have liked to have seen .380 on that chart. But, knowing I'm not going to carry or buy 10mm, I'm happy with the 9mm, the capacity, and my ability to shoot it.

Top Bottom