best end plate/sling attachment for a collapsable stock AR?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • cobber

Parrot Daddy
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Sep 14, 2011
    Somewhere over the rainbow
    Doing the AR build again, but want to mount an end plate with a sling attachment point.

Any recommendations? There are a few variants out there. Anything to avoid?

Yes... collapsible...

craigkim

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 6, 2013
    Fishers
    Doing the AR build again, but want to mount an end plate with a sling attachment point.

Any recommendations? There are a few variants out there. Anything to avoid?

Yes... collapsible...
    I have a few different qd on mine and they are all basically the same. I like the qd options better than something like the magpul asap, because if you arent using it, you dont know its there. The asap rattles a bit.

mammynun

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 30, 2009
    New Albany
    I've noticed that a Fortis aluminum QD end plate is thicker than the ones made out of steel (Noveske, Impact Weapon Components, etc.). This prevents a pistol receiver extension (w/o a castle nut) from screwing in far enough to hold the buffer retaining pin.

JollyMon

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 27, 2012
    Westfield, IN
    Are you going to want to use a single point or two point sling? If single, why? If two-point, why not have the sling on the butt stock? I find that a much more comfortable setup.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    I'll agree with the others who have said they're all pretty much the same. I've installed quite a few and run one on my rifle and I've never seen one I thought was any better than another. I much prefer a sling attached at the rear of the receiver that anywhere on the buttstock. The rifle hangs higher on my chest and it allows for much, much easier transitions between strong and support side shooting.

JollyMon

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 27, 2012
    Westfield, IN
    I'll agree with the others who have said they're all pretty much the same. I've installed quite a few and run one on my rifle and I've never seen one I thought was any better than another. I much prefer a sling attached at the rear of the receiver that anywhere on the buttstock. The rifle hangs higher on my chest and it allows for much, much easier transitions between strong and support side shooting.

Yeah, thats where I differ.... which is why people have to figure out what works best for them. The transition to a support side I find easier with a buttstock mount but that could be due to the front attachment point, which I keep as close to the receiver as possible on the handguard. Mounting on the buttstock probably gives be the extra distance that makes it work for me.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area

Huntinfool

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 17, 2013
    The Magpul design ( and I normally am a fan of MP) is great for using and doing transition drills. But I find that the link clanks around at times, and can be noisy. If you try to apply tape, it looses some of its function of the swivel. - YMMV

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    The Magpul design ( and I normally am a fan of MP) is great for using and doing transition drills. But I find that the link clanks around at times, and can be noisy. If you try to apply tape, it looses some of its function of the swivel. - YMMV

its your sling. Mine has an elastic tube that covers the QR clip and link. (you pull the sleeve back to disconnect the sling) It captures the ring pretty well, and doesnt allow it to flop around, but still can be moved around normally. (if that makes sense... if not I can post a pic of my rig)

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    Could someone explain the benefit of attaching a 2 point to the end of the buttstock rather than to the back of the receiver because I don't get it. The rifle hangs lower to the ground in my experience and I cannot conceive how having it there yields anything but complexity to a transition to the other shoulder. I have extensive experience with both the Magpul convertible slings as well as the VTAC 2 point and ran the QD receiver plate with both and it works extremely well.

JollyMon

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 27, 2012
    Westfield, IN
    Could someone explain the benefit of attaching a 2 point to the end of the buttstock rather than to the back of the receiver because I don't get it. The rifle hangs lower to the ground in my experience and I cannot conceive how having it there yields anything but complexity to a transition to the other shoulder. I have extensive experience with both the Magpul convertible slings as well as the VTAC 2 point and ran the QD receiver plate with both and it works extremely well.

I can tell you why I switched from end plate mounting was because of shoulder transitions, but once again its just my opinion. In some of my training classes (before I switched), when I was using an endplate mount (magpul asap), when I went to shoulder my rifle, the sling would sometimes end up on the inside of the stock. Thus when I tried to push the rifle over for a transition (and depending on the tightness of the sling at the time), the butt stock was catching on sling and preventing a shoulder transition. Now, this is something you can train around (such as pushing out more when doing the transition or a slight dip to get the buttstock higher) but this is what caused me to switch.

Now with the butt stock, as long as you mount the sling so its on the outward side (so it loops up and over the stock, away from your body), you dont have this problem. All you have to do it make sure the sling is loose enough and you have a clear transition over.

But that being said, I normally have both options available to be as I try to install the endplates with QD on all rifles I build now. And depending on the rifle I am using, I may still use the endplate, since a couple of my rifles, the stock doesnt have a QD mount

Last edited:

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    All you have to do it make sure the sling is loose enough and you have a clear transition over.

I think this is where I couldn't make a connection on how it would work. I prefer to keep my slings relatively snug, in the event I need to drop the rifle quickly it isn't going too far and I can then quickly get it back where I need it. Thanks for taking the time to explain that.

sethr

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 5, 2017
    Putnam County
    Sorry to bring this thread back. Is anybody using and endplate with the QDs on the side. Yes, they're ambidextrous, which could be a PITA, but I think the sling point hanging in front of the grip instead of the side could be crazy too.

Top Bottom