• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • pool67

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Homecroft
    Hello everyone, i am starting to reload 9mm and i would like to hand primer would appreciate any suggestions on a good hand priming tool and the shell holder for it to use with 9mm. thanks everyone

rockhopper46038

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    89   0   0
    May 4, 2010
    Fishers
    I think the RCBS is nicest, but the LEE works fine, and is cheaper.

Sorry, I can't remember the shellplate number, but for the Lee Autoprime tool the shellplate is different than the standard reloader shellplate.

kboom524

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    New Haven
    I have 3 of tf the Lee Auto-primes. They have always worked great for me, and I have been using mine for over 25 years. Use shellholder #19 for 9mm. If you get one lube it with a little vaseline, broke my first one before I learned this trick. These are the only lee tool I use, all my other equipment is RCBS or Redding with mostly Hornady dies. I have never used an RCBS primer, but I have never had a problem with any of my RCBS equipment. I have had my Lee primers since before RCBS started making one or I probably would have bought one.

Last edited:

top hat 45

Sharpshooter
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 4, 2008
    northern shelby co.
    LEE

had 2 of the early lee priming tools that lasted for years, but the handles broke and guess what ....no parts to replace. had such good luck with the others tho, i just yesterday got my new style one. bought from natchez for 15.95. looks much better than the earlier ones. what is great about the new one is the primer tray is square and you can dump a full tray of primers with no loss rolling on bench.

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    I tried the SmartReloader and it was junk. I sent it back for a refund. After looking hard at the Lee and talking to folks, I decided that I wanted one that used the whole hand. I ended up getting the Hornady and I've been very happy with it. I own Dillon, RCBS, Lyman and Lee reloading products. This is my first Hornady product. Midway and Wideners have the Hornady hand priming tool in stock and they are priced from $33.50 to $33.99. You might compare shipping costs.

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    No problem with the Lee. They actualy have a new hand priming tool out. I'm going to pick one up. For the comment about saying Lee equipment is junk "whatever".

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    While admittedly the quality is pretty marginal, the old style Lee Auto prime has the best ergonomics for my taste. The Hornady is very well built as is the RCBS.

Top Bottom