• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JRL

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 22, 2012
    Broad Ripple
    I'm the proud new owner of a Remington 1911 r1 and am in need of guidance when it comes to a couple good holsters. I've read a ton of reviews but thought would ask on here before ordering.

I have no preference for carry style, I'll probably pick up a couple so all suggestions are welcome.

Thanks in advance.
    JRL

bingley

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2011
    What do you need the holster for? Daily carry inside the waist band? Open carry? Carrying outside the waist band, but with some sort of concealment? Carrying in a bag? Carrying while driving? Competitive shooting, and if so, what kind?

Or do you just need something that looks cool?

What's your budget?

Aesthetic preferences?

rockhopper46038

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    89   0   0
    May 4, 2010
    Fishers
    I don't think there is a "best" holster - just a "best" for you. For IWB of a 5" Govt Model I'm using a Bruce Nelson "Summer Special" style. It's very comfortable. Milt Sparks makes one, as do a lot of other makers. For a 4" model IWB I'm using a winged leather holster similar to the VersaMax 2 by Milt Sparks. For OWB I use either a Raven Concealment or a Bladetech DOH for pistol games. I'm considering switching my OWB to something called a K.Q.M. that I've found; but haven't pulled the trigger on it yet.

JRL

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 22, 2012
    Broad Ripple
    I'll probably get a couple, interested in one CC and one hip/belt. No preference on material, I'm 100% function over form so coolness isn't a factor, price wise let's say under $100 for the two but that's negotiable.

Quality gun needs a quality hold.

Thanks again guys.

JRL

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 22, 2012
    Broad Ripple
    This gun is a beast compared to my daily carry (5 round J frame .38). It won't be replacing it but I would like to be able to carry it if I feel the urge.

I'm mostly interested in what folks are using and what they like / dislike.

Thanks again.

jgreiner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 13, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    I'm the proud new owner of a Remington 1911 r1 and am in need of guidance when it comes to a couple good holsters. I've read a ton of reviews but thought would ask on here before ordering.

I have no preference for carry style, I'll probably pick up a couple so all suggestions are welcome.

Thanks in advance.
    JRL

Check out the Simply rugged Cuda. I got one for my S&W 1911sc bobtail, it's a GREAT holster, and can be worn OWB or IWB, if you get the loops. It fits like a glove. :)

rockhopper46038

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    89   0   0
    May 4, 2010
    Fishers
    With a good belt and a good holster you'll be surprised just how easy it is to conceal a full sized 1911. The thinness of the gun is really conducive to carrying. I find that I like at least a small "sweat shield" on the skin side of the holster. Partially to protect the gun, but mostly to trap the safety in the "safe" position, and also because after repeated practice draws (something admittedly unlikely to occur in reality) I find that without the "sweat shield" I start dragging my tucked-in shirt out with the pistol. That gets annoying.

cjcinin

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 12, 2011
    USGunleather. Adamsleatherworks. Milt sparks. Mitch Rosen. There are lots of guys making awesome holsters for the 1911. Go to 1911forum.com and check the leather and kydex section.
    Hope this helps.
    Simply rugged makes just that. If ya spent the money don't put it in a simple holster.
    Good luck.
    C.J.

senork

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    NW Indiana
    As others have mentioned, first, get a good belt that will help support the weight of a full-size 1911. If you are looking for an IWB holster, I would recommend the Milt Sparks Versa Max II. It is comfortable, and can be converted to a tuckable holster by purchasing kydex clips to use instead of the leather tabs. Buena suerte.

cjcinin

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 12, 2011
    Oh yeah. The belt.
    Get a good one.
    There are several guys on 1911forum that make belts plus many others.
    I make my own but you really need a good one for a 1911.
    With a good belt it's no harder to carry the 1911 then a Glock or other full sized handgun.
    Agian enjoy and good luck.
    C.J.

Last edited:

derrickgoins

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Oct 23, 2009
    Westfield
    I have a Silent Thunder STX OWB for my 1911 and a High Noon Public Secret for IWB. I really like them both for those times when I carry a 1911. Like others have mentioned though, make sure to get a good rigid belt that's made for carrying a firearm, spare mag(s), etc.

Dixiejack

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 8, 2012
    Madison
    I have two Bianchi thumb snap paddle holsters for my Colt 1911 .38 Super and my Remington 1911 R1. They ride fairly high on my hip and are easy to conceal with a loose shirt or jacket. They are made of leather and wear in nicely. One is about 20 y.o. and the other I had for a year. The holsters are very versatile as OWB concealed or open in the woods or at the range. The 1911's or holsters are not my 1st choice for CCW. A S&W .38 Bodyguard in an IWB holster is my go to.

JRL

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 22, 2012
    Broad Ripple
    Dixiejack, I'm with you. My hammerless ultra light .38 in my pocket is the best CC I've ever had.

That being said, picked up a cheap Fobus paddle holster for the time being. Not a huge fan, pretty uncomfortable in the sitting position and not a fan of the exposed barrel.

Pretty sure I'm going to order the Milt Sparks. Looks like the best option. Hopefully I'll get it in the next year. Ha.

Do have one more question ... Shoulder holsters. Any suggestions? Seems like it would pretty comfortable and I'm.fully invested at this point.

Thanks again.

Dixiejack

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 8, 2012
    Madison
    JRL, don't know who made my IWB holster. My LGS where I bought my .38 Bodyguard had a box full of holsters and he told me to pick through it to see if I could find a holster to fit my revolver. Found one (no name, no markings) that fit the Bodyguard and was comfortable. The LGS threw it in with the purchase. It's leather and has a metal belt clip. Really comfortable. Mostly I carry it in my pocket.

Top Bottom