• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mtgasten

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Aug 23, 2011
    Greenfield
    in your opinion what is the best home defense shotgun on the market? looking for something relatively cheap(nothing over $700) Any response helps, thanks.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    "Best" is wholly subjective.

And so is "home defense" when you get around to it.

Before Kirk chimes in, I'll go ahead and say it: The best one is the one that you'll purchase and then TRAIN with. You can learn to defend your home very well with even a single-shot.

-J-

iChokePeople

Master
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   1
    Feb 11, 2011
    "Best" is wholly subjective.

And so is "home defense" when you get around to it.

Before Kirk chimes in, I'll go ahead and say it: The best one is the one that you'll purchase and then TRAIN with. You can learn to defend your home very well with even a single-shot.

-J-

This is absolutely true. My recommendations are based on the assumption that you don't have one now, are not giving up any existing skills or knowledge by choosing any particular gun, and are going to invest time and training in whatever gun you choose. Given those things, it would be hard to find a shotgun for under $700 that would be better than either of those, IMHO. Hold them both and see which feels better to you. Some people like the controls and feel of the 870, some the Mossy. Me, I like the "FEEL", aesthetically, of the 870, but I like the controls on the Mossberg. I like the thumb safety and the placement of the release a little better than I do on the 870, but that's WHOLLY subjective.

sadclownwp

Grandmaster
    Rating - 97.7%
    43   1   0
    Jan 6, 2010
    NWI
    I love my Mossberg Maverick. I think it is the best, but that may be because I have put in the practice time with it.

451_Detonics

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 28, 2010
    North Central Indiana
    I prefer a semiauto and have 2 I can use, an 1100 and a HK/Benelli 121M. Both are ultra reliable. Pumps work well also and if I went that way I would buy an Ithica 37 eight shot Defense Shotgun.

WyldeShot

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 28, 2011
    Greenville
    Personally I have a Benelli. I wish the barrel was a little shorter but I know my PDX1 defense rounds will make someone have a really bad day. The new Keltec tactical shotgun looks pretty nice but I'm sure it's going to have a nice price tag to match.

Mosinguy

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 27, 2011
    North Dakota soon...
    If money is tight, you'll be well served by the Pardner Protector or the Maverick 88...also go to Bradis every once in a while they always have used shotguns for under $250.

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Indianapolis
    A used marine magnum 870 can go for a pretty good price and is less likely to start rusting if you live where it's humid. Think Mossberg makes something similar, but don't recall the nomenclature.

Colts

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 25, 2011
    Roundabout Circle City
    I was just at Dicks and they had a sale on both Remington 870 and Mossberg 500. Their green sheet savings listed $100 off the Remington and $50 off the Mossberg. Both well under $500.

Hemingway

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 30, 2009
    Indiana
    What about those side by side Stoeger's with the tritium sight and the rail underneath for a light?

I think they look interesting. Simple, got some light on 'em. Limited to 2 shots, without reloading obviously.

They're like $400 or so new.

Top Bottom