• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • daddyusmaximus

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.9%
    90   1   0
    Aug 21, 2013
    Remington
    I'd love to find one (or the .45 version) in decent shape. They're getting hard to find, but for the prices they bring you can get an M1 Carbine for just a bit more.

Last edited:

Lees

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 22, 2012
    I didn't read through all the pages to see if it's been suggested, but given the criteria I'd pick a Marlin 30-30 lever gun (pre-Remington of course). Ammo would be available, but parts could be harder to find.

I have a very new one and I think a lot of the post-Remington problems have been fixed. Mine's fantastic. Also a 45-70 that's been great, too.

ram77

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 17, 2010
    Build an AR with a .458 socom barrel lol. Eh I guess that ammo isn't common though. A lever action rifle with .45 would be fairly easy to get rounds for though

swissrifles1

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Dec 20, 2008
    Near South Bend
    I like the C93 by century. 650.00 well built, accurate, shoots .556. Takes the Polly cheaper mags also, although mine are the metal ones.
    image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Attachments

• image.jpeg
      image.jpeg
      78.6 KB · Views: 10
    Last edited:

GIJEW

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Since I've got a $1000 budget and no gun can do everything best, I'm getting 2;

CETME and 12g shotgun.

I think the shotgun can do anything I need for hunting with the right ammo and can be a backup defensive gun.

For defense (especially in an apocalyptic "mad max" world) I would expect to be heavily outnumbered and I would want to have as much firepower as possible. There are other factors to consider, but I'd want as much gun as possible.

brogers261990

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 21, 2016
    Flora
    Since you said "rifle," I'm going to stay away from shotguns. From my collection, I'd probably have to choose my Savage 110 in 30-06. It's got the range and power for taking down game, it can be used for defensive applications, and the round is pretty common, so in a SHTF situation I would think ammo would still be somewhat accessible, though maybe not as much as the .308.

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    In a true end of civilization as we know it, ammo you don't have after day one is ammo you will never be able to buy. Anything else you will have to get by barter or battery and that will be entirely up to what the other person has got.

After my range experience this past weekend (and if for some bizarre reason I could only have one) it would be a toss up between my M1 Carbine and my Win. 94 in .30-30. I'd probably go with the '94 and collect whatever else I needed.

TheJoker

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 9, 2010
    Shelby County
    I'm late to the party. I can't decide between the two...

HRA55Yugo6820150130_zpsijpum7zj.jpg

Chicks may dig scars; but, I doubt they dig dudes with little bitty Rugers!

Amishman44

Master
    Rating - 98%
    49   1   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Woodburn
    I'm late to the party. I can't decide between the two...

HRA55Yugo6820150130_zpsijpum7zj.jpg

Chicks may dig scars; but, I doubt they dig dudes with little bitty Rugers!

I just logged on and the M1 Garand was my initial response to the question posed on this thread!

My other response was a Springfield SOCOM 16 in .308...my personal preference for SHTF!

Top Bottom