• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 6, 2012
    Mishawaka
    I just purchased my first AR and I too wanted an entry level (cuz kids and budget). I opted for a DPMS flat top. I got it for $600. It didn't come with iron sights so I ordered some flip up frt/rr sights from Amazon. I already had a nice Red Dot sight (came with the shotgun I alredy own for some reason) so I mounted it.

I haven't shot it yet (kids and 50/50 custody arrangement) but am planning on taking it to the range Sunday.

I can already feel the bug for at least 2 more guns (one smaller plinker for myself and give this one to my son for Christmas) and a heavy longer barrel with some toys for reaching out to longer distances.

I considered building one but the overwhelming amount of info seemed too daunting to learn. I would have spent a ton of time reading up and researching to find the best deals on stuff before purchasing. Then there's the tool aspect. Then the time to assemble it. For my budget it made more sense to spend the extra $50 - $100 and buy one that's already built and assembled.

The next purchase will likely be a stripped lower w/ build kit and complete upper (but this is subject to change based on my mood) lol

I'll report back how my new DPMS runs if you're still interested in reviews.

FWIW I'm very mechanically inclined and really enjoy working with my hands and building things, but building my first AR from a box full of parts seemed overwhelming. I'm sure this feeling will wear off once I tear this one down a few more times.

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    Something to keep in mind when buying a budget rifle:

What it'll take to get the rifle into action - if anything. Do you have to add a rear sight? That's another expense.

Does it come with sights at all (Anderson Optic Ready, for example, does not)? Can you get in on a "package deal" where a serviceable optic is included in the purchase? Like, for instance, an Anderson Optic Ready + Vortex Strikefire for $550?.

Then there's the realm of: I want to get in on the ground floor - which of these platforms will lend itself to (eventually) being the rifle that I want it to be. IE - which may cost less to transform via a better handguard and better stock. Most of those it's all a wash as the work involved is all the same. HOWEVER - it may make a tad bit of difference.

seedubs1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    This is why I make a spreadsheet. When I'm in the market for a new rifle, I typically compare an entire ground up build, buying an OEM type rifle + furniture, and what it would take to buy a complete rifle and then swap out the junk and get it how I like it. Sometimes the results from the spreadsheet surprise me. Sometimes not. But best to lay it all out on the table and figure out your best option. Nothing like spending $700 for a rifle, then dumping another $700 into it to get it how you like it when you could have just anted up and spent $1k up front to get what you wanted (saving yourself $400 in the end).
    Something to keep in mind when buying a budget rifle: What it'll take to get the rifle into action - if anything. Do you have to add a rear sight? That's another expense. Does it come with sights at all (Anderson Optic Ready, for example, does not)? Can you get in on a "package deal" where a serviceable optic is included in the purchase? Like, for instance, an Anderson Optic Ready + Vortex Strikefire for $550?. Then there's the realm of: I want to get in on the ground floor - which of these platforms will lend itself to (eventually) being the rifle that I want it to be. IE - which may cost less to transform via a better handguard and better stock. Most of those it's all a wash as the work involved is all the same. HOWEVER - it may make a tad bit of difference.

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 6, 2012
    Mishawaka
    Something to keep in mind when buying a budget rifle:

What it'll take to get the rifle into action - if anything. Do you have to add a rear sight? That's another expense.

Does it come with sights at all (Anderson Optic Ready, for example, does not)? Can you get in on a "package deal" where a serviceable optic is included in the purchase? Like, for instance, an Anderson Optic Ready + Vortex Strikefire for $550?.

Then there's the realm of: I want to get in on the ground floor - which of these platforms will lend itself to (eventually) being the rifle that I want it to be. IE - which may cost less to transform via a better handguard and better stock. Most of those it's all a wash as the work involved is all the same. HOWEVER - it may make a tad bit of difference.

This is a very valid point, and I did consider these options. For me, it was more of a rush decision IE I wanted to get the rifle before any panic buying snatched them all up (again). Figured I could get the rifle now, modify it a bit over time and get it how I want it.

The next one I'll probably just buy one built how I want it, or just get parts and build it myself.

RickyG

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 28, 2016
    Fort Wayne
    I've put a bunch of Tulammo through mine without a single issue. I'm pretty sure the M&P Sport is just really hungry and will eat anything you give it

We got this last week from Marksman in Westfield. So far, she's running fine on anything brass I've fed her. Next meal is steel cased ammo.

attachment.php

brogers261990

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 21, 2016
    Flora
    As per my experience so far, I would recommend a Smith & Wesson Sport II. It's a solid entry level rifle and it has the forward assist and the dust cover, something that irked most owners who were critical of the rifle. I've shot one and after roughly 250 rounds, I had no problems, it shot great, and for roughly $600, you can get a few for the price of more expensive ARs, which will help you give the gift of gun to friends or family :).

warriorbob

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 96%
    24   1   0
    Feb 6, 2011
    I saw radical firearms had some offerings between 5 and 6 hundred bucks. Ak operators union is running one in their 5k round test and theyve just posted the 2k video. Kind of wierd seeing them testing ars.

Sam Wheeler

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 9, 2016
    Indianapolis
    I can report that my M&P15 runs well and eats anything I have put through it. I'd like to try a build next time around but this is a fun rifle to shoot.

Double T

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   1
    Aug 5, 2011
    Huntington
    Palmetto has a blem lower ($180), and a 1/7 stainless upper receiver with BCG/CH ($320) for $500 bucks right now. I don't think you're going to beat that price IMO. You need a magazine, and some sort of rear sight.

They also have a middy pencil barrel with magpul handguard for 350 ($530 total).

Most if not all of these "rifles" that I've seen have placeholder handguards/grips that you will likely replace. I'm no longer a fan of handguards that aren't free floated, so I'm building my uppers from now on. I have all the tools I need to do so. If you don't have the tools, it's probably advisable not to build though. Which is probably where the "homebrews are unreliable" mentality comes from...

maxmayhem

Master
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    Nov 16, 2010
    Ocala, FL (for now)
    spikes tactical--period...i have quite a few spikes at least before the boat accident...all are great

Barrel, BCG, trigger are most important...good lock up between receivers is nice but it does not affect reliability or accuracy

I would steer clear of the smith and wesson sport rifle with no dust cover (most likely you will upgrade and you will take a big hit if it doesnt have a dust cover; most ar buyers are living room commandos who demand a dust cover though they never have any practical use for it--hopefully they wont unless 1776 rolls around again)

Buy this one-

Spike's Tactical ST-15 5.56/.223 16 in. Midlength Rifle

This troy look pretty nice too

http://www.aimsurplus.com/product.a...C+A3+Optic+Ready+.223/5.56+Rifle&groupid=5387

Buds has these adams arms on sale that are great

https://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/index.php/cPath/36_1100/Rifles/Adams+Arms

Bushmasters are good and have good resale. I have never had a problem with them. Also anderson is good people. I dont think they have good resale. Resale should be a consideration since you are likely going to upgrade later. You will probably want a flat top with no irons as this will accomodate any sights you want to put on it.

Heres a nice rock river--good resale--has a front sight post that will block a red dot or scope unless you co witness...who wants to do that at the shooting range? maybe if you are going to war that is important

Heres a nice bushmaster
    http://www.kygunco.com/Product/View?ItemNo=34792#.V22O_7grKUk

Last edited:

jd4320t

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 20, 2009
    South Putnam County
    Palmetto has a blem lower ($180), and a 1/7 stainless upper receiver with BCG/CH ($320) for $500 bucks right now. I don't think you're going to beat that price IMO. You need a magazine, and some sort of rear sight.

They also have a middy pencil barrel with magpul handguard for 350 ($530 total).

Most if not all of these "rifles" that I've seen have placeholder handguards/grips that you will likely replace. I'm no longer a fan of handguards that aren't free floated, so I'm building my uppers from now on. I have all the tools I need to do so. If you don't have the tools, it's probably advisable not to build though. Which is probably where the "homebrews are unreliable" mentality comes from...

PSA is great but you can't walk into a store around here and buy their stuff. Also, many new buyers aren't wanting to build or piece together their first AR-15.

I agree that parts are often replaced/upgraded but it won't be the case with this rifle. At least not for me. I can also speak for some of the noobs I know who've already bought rifles. They've added sights and that's it.

spikes tactical--period...i have quite a few spikes at least before the boat accident...all are great

Barrel, BCG, trigger are most important...good lock up between receivers is nice but it does not affect reliability or accuracy

I would steer clear of the smith and wesson sport rifle with no dust cover (most likely you will upgrade and you will take a big hit if it doesnt have a dust cover; most ar buyers are living room commandos who demand a dust cover though they never have any practical use for it--hopefully they wont unless 1776 rolls around again)

Buy this one-

Spike's Tactical ST-15 5.56/.223 16 in. Midlength Rifle

This troy look pretty nice too

TROY DEFENSE CQB-SPC A3 Optic Ready .223/5.56 Rifle

Buds has these adams arms on sale that are great

https://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/index.php/cPath/36_1100/Rifles/Adams+Arms

Bushmasters are good and have good resale. I have never had a problem with them. Also anderson is good people. I dont think they have good resale. Resale should be a consideration since you are likely going to upgrade later. You will probably want a flat top with no irons as this will accomodate any sights you want to put on it.

Heres a nice rock river--good resale--has a front sight post that will block a red dot or scope unless you co witness...who wants to do that at the shooting range? maybe if you are going to war that is important

Heres a nice bushmaster
    16 MOE .5.56 MID-LENGTH - BLK

I know Spikes are great but they're also $200 more than many are looking to spend on their first AR and more than I want to spend on this one too. That goes for the others you linked also.

I know Anderson's are pretty cheap but I've never seen a complete rifle for sale. I haven't looked that hard though.

Is your Bushmaster experience with the new or old?

cbhausen

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Feb 17, 2010
    Indianapolis, IN
    In class with Mike Pannone this past weekend (he may know just a wee bit about AR's) he mused that he couldn't figure out why people would build franken guns when there are so many quality reasonably priced AR's out on the market. He followed it up with mentioning that most home built guns he sees in classes have problems.

A lot of those "Frankenguns" have the same stuff with different names on the parts. The PSA kits I was thinking of have pre-built uppers which have been test-fired at the factory. How someone could mess up building a lower... You'd have to try pretty hard. Personally, I'd do the lower build myself with a PSA rifle kit and get a CL/CHF barrel by FN way before I'd get a non-CL barrel in one of the factory entry-level ARs. YMMV.

Hop

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Indy
    I gotta say I was pretty impressed last weekend when I shot a buddy's new M&P. Bulk PMC ammo, iron sights and a couple 1.25 MOA groups.

canterbc

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 13, 2012
    Noblesville
    I'd also enter into the discussion the Colt Expanse. Doesn't have a dust cover or forward assist, but does have everything milled out for them so for $25 or so they can be added later. You'd need a rear sight as well, but you are getting a Colt for $599. I have never had one, but it is a Colt so the quality should be good.

EXPANSE M4 5.56 16BBL 30+1

sig1473

Master
    Rating - 100%
    100   0   0
    May 28, 2009
    The Greater Good
    I'd also enter into the discussion the Colt Expanse. Doesn't have a dust cover or forward assist, but does have everything milled out for them so for $25 or so they can be added later. You'd need a rear sight as well, but you are getting a Colt for $599. I have never had one, but it is a Colt so the quality should be good.

EXPANSE M4 5.56 16BBL 30+1

Agreed. The parts that are missing(forward assist & dust cover) are easily installed and cheap(~$25). The barrel is 4150 but not chrome-lined. Also, comes with a full-auto profile bolt carrier and MPC bolt. For a plinker it is a good deal.:yesway: I inspected a M&P Sport II and it was nice as well.
    I wouldn't touch Spike's with a ten foot pole especially with the dueling phalluses plastered all over their products but that is just a personal opinion.

blue2golf

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Evansville
    My first AR was a Del Ton Sport. Light, tight carbine, runs great. Bought it at just the start of the Sandy Hook panic for $722. I built my second AR just a few months ago. PSA all the way and an upgrade all around...CHF chrome lined(FN barrel) M4 profile barreled upper, PSA stripped blem lower plus build kit, BSA Gunfighter charging handle. $628 total.

Everything is a little bit higher in price than what it was just a couple of weeks ago. Go ahead and get what you want now.

Top Bottom