• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Scottie1317

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2012
    I am looking for a nice scope for my 10/22. I would like to keep it under 200 and would like to have around 4x zoom.

This is the first scope I have ever bought and i know almost nothing about them. The only thing I have read is to stay away from the BSA scopes.

Thanks for the help

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    Look into the Mueller APV. Fantastic scope for the money.

Don't forget to include GOOD RINGS / Mounts into your budget.

-J-

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    What do you intend to do with the rifle? My recommendation will be a lot diffrent for a 10-22 long range trainer than it would for a appleseeds/squirrel rifle

Scottie1317

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2012
    I am basically looking to make a fun plinking rifle. I have never hunted but it would be fun to try it this year and will probably use for that as well.

throttletony

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    nearby
    I think Nikon is doing $30 back on their rimfire scopes right now - their prostaff rimfires are pretty good. Parallax fixed at 50yds, but other than that, pretty good glass for the money IMO.

6mm Shoot

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 21, 2012
    Weaver is back and they still make good scopes at a reasonable price. I have picked up three of there scopes in the past year and am very happy with them. They are every bit as good as Burris and cheaper.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    Contact Allen, AAoptics here on INGO.

Sorry about the misspelling Alan!

You beat me to it! Alan gave me some direction on a scope for my 22lr that I never would have come across. Hitting steel tarets at 200 yards with this scope has made me believe that he knows what he's talking about. Plenty of great scopes out there that you probably couldn't go wrong with, but it's nice to have a knowledgable person help you sort through everything that's out there.
    :rockwoot:

-Rogue-

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 9, 2013
    Fort Wayne
    Given the almost nonexistent recoil on your weapon, a cheap scope, or even red dot will work well.

On my S&W M&P15-22 I went with a Bushnell Red Dot with an Airsoft 3x Magnifier. Works like a charm!

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    I am basically looking to make a fun plinking rifle. I have never hunted but it would be fun to try it this year and will probably use for that as well.

What ranges?

Its easy to say "x is great" but without info like the questions I ask its impossible to know if "x" will be great on your rifle. The definition of "great scope for the money" is somthing that changes monthly. The best scope for 100 bucks 1 year ago is not the same as it is today because new product lines are always being introduced. You have to sample ALOT of scopes to know what the best scope in a certain price range is. While 1 person says "x is great for the price" if thats the only scope they have sampled for all they know its on the bottom of the bang for your buck list.

Scottie1317

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2012
    It will mostly be for shooting soda cans in fields and the occasional squirrel out too 100 yards or so

Thanks again for all the responses

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    It will mostly be for shooting soda cans in fields and the occasional squirrel out too 100 yards or so

Thanks again for all the responses

Ok, an AO model would help you but its not required.

This series of scope is the best on the market in your price range, bar none. It blows the prostaff out of the water. Its not even a fair comparision.

You have the option of rimfire parallax, or centerfire parallax for your purpose. So depending on precentages at 50 yrds compared to 100 yds this would be my recomendation at 119 dollars for the rimfire version, or the plex reticle version, and 129 for the bdc version.

Vortex Crossfire II Rifle Scopes | Red Dots | Vortex Binoculars | Range Finders | Spotting Scopes

If you wanted a a model the same series in 4-12x40 ao/bdc runs 189.

OIIIIIO

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    What would you recommend for target shooting. I do most of my shooting at 50 yds or less but would like to start doing some hundred yard plus.

Last fall, I was having to hold 8" high to hit the bullseye. I would like something that I could zero at 50 then either have some type of marks or adjustments that would allow me to quickly adjust to the longer ranges without having to set up targets with the hold over on them.

I bought a nice red field that has good, clear glass , but the cross hairs are a combo cross with a dot and circle. It is great for hunting as the circle/cross hairs seem to line up on game really well. The trouble with that is it covers the bullseye up to the point of not being able to see the holes. I think something with a finer cross would be better.

I am also wondering what power would be good out to 100 yds. (Old eyes with glasses) I own a higher power inexpensive scope on my .223 and once I get up there in power, (6 - 24 x 44) I am losing quality and increase eye strain.
    I stayed with a 44 objective to keep the profile lower on the rifle. Plus I had a PEPR mount that I liked and was worried that I wouldn't have enough clearance.

I appreciate any input you might have. Not quite savvy enough yet with the terminology, so anything you can elabotrate on would be appreciated.

Depending on the glass, which rings do you recommend?

Scottie1317

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2012
    Who shoots squirrels at 100yds or so???

:rolleyes:

Haha that's what happens when you post from a phone. It's kinda hard to proofread. I meant playing around up to 100 yards or hunting squirrel. I
    Have never actually hunted either so that will be another learning curve

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    What would you recommend for target shooting. I do most of my shooting at 50 yds or less but would like to start doing some hundred yard plus.

Last fall, I was having to hold 8" high to hit the bullseye. I would like something that I could zero at 50 then either have some type of marks or adjustments that would allow me to quickly adjust to the longer ranges without having to set up targets with the hold over on them.

I bought a nice red field that has good, clear glass , but the cross hairs are a combo cross with a dot and circle. It is great for hunting as the circle/cross hairs seem to line up on game really well. The trouble with that is it covers the bullseye up to the point of not being able to see the holes. I think something with a finer cross would be better.

I am also wondering what power would be good out to 100 yds. (Old eyes with glasses) I own a higher power inexpensive scope on my .223 and once I get up there in power, (6 - 24 x 44) I am losing quality and increase eye strain.
    I stayed with a 44 objective to keep the profile lower on the rifle. Plus I had a PEPR mount that I liked and was worried that I wouldn't have enough clearance.

I appreciate any input you might have. Not quite savvy enough yet with the terminology, so anything you can elabotrate on would be appreciated.

Depending on the glass, which rings do you recommend?

Since you want to Go past 100 yards some form of parallax is going to be required.

The best zoom level for you revoleves around a few things. Min and max ranges, and what you want to do at those ranges. If your wanting to print tiny groups on paper I will recomend a completely diffrent scope than if your wanting to shoot steel plates. Im not a huge fan of higher zoom scopes, but there is nothing wrong with them. I take my 22lr out to 500 yds with a 10x scope. High zoom restricts internal travel, and to shoot the 22 at those ranges you need alot of internal travel.

With your 6-24 scope the zoom is not whats causing your eye to strain, its the lack of clarity on the higher zooms. Every scope in the world has more abraision on high zooms, even 3000 dollar S&B. On A 3000 dollar S&B you can afford to loose a little clarity on the higher zooms because it has so much clairty to start with and it wont loose as much clarity. On a inexpensive high zoom scope you dont start with much clarity, and then you loose more on high zoom making your eyes strain.

It sounds like you like higher zoom scopes and 44mm objective so I would recomend this for 219 depending on your price range. Obviously if your looking for a 1000 dollar scope this one will not do the job aswell.

Vortex Optics - Crossfire II 6-18x44 AO Dead-Hold BDC

It tracks perfectly (rare for a scope in this price range), has a bed reticle that will allow you to use holdovers out to about 150yds if you zero at 50, and has plenty of clarity for it to be used at 18x without straining your eyes.

What platform is it going on? That will help me with the ring recomendation.

Top Bottom