• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jsquared1702

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Mar 23, 2010
    I recently just purchased a Barrett M82A1 .50cal and was wondering if there are any ranges in Indiana that will allow that rifle. I have been able to shoot it at a buddy's farm but only able to go to 100 yards, which is a joke for this rifle. I have considered purchasing some property in Indiana so I always had a place to shoot but was not sure if that was the best approach. Any advice on this topic of a range or buying property to make my own range would be appreciated.

Thanks

Zoub

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Northern Edge, WI
    Southern Indiana Rifle and Pistol Club is one option. It is private but one of the best clubs I ever joined. Goes to 500 yards, anything goes except incendiary rounds. I am no longer member but check it out. If you live Indy or South along Hwy 65 or 37 it is worth the look.

.50 cal comes with a lot of liability in terms of proper backstop. I am not sure I would want to crank one up on my own property unless I had a plenty of land.

PS web site southernindianarifleandpistolclub.com - southernindianarifleandpistolclub.com to me it is a beautiful place to shoot and I love the reverb you get there on a quite winter day. Echoes off both sides of the river valley.

DragonGunner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 14, 2010
    N. Central IN
    Wabash Bass an Bucks....in Wabash. I would call just to make
    sure, but they have shot them there before....they have out
    to 714 yds. an you can even drive your truck or 4 wheeler down
    to the targets....they also have 540yds, 340yds, 210yds,......Let
    me know when your going there, love to see it!

No club membership...15.00 for the day.

LEO IN TRAINING

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    wheatfield, indiana
    i have been on the net searching and i havent found anything about a 50 cal being allowed but i think the other guys are right, its gonna be a membership gun club allowing and getting the distance you want, winnamac fishing and widlife has a 200 yard but i dont think they allow 50 cal. not for sure though, i would just call around or contact the DNR...

jsquared1702

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Mar 23, 2010
    Wabash Bass an Bucks....in Wabash. I would call just to make
    sure, but they have shot them there before....they have out
    to 714 yds. an you can even drive your truck or 4 wheeler down
    to the targets....they also have 540yds, 340yds, 210yds,......Let
    me know when your going there, love to see it!

No club membership...15.00 for the day.

Thanks for the info. Shooting this rifle is a blast, kicks less than my M1 Garand. If I head out there soon I will let you know.

l c gun guy

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 28, 2010
    Find old set of railroad tracks and set up bunch of those rr ties to stop bullets u will have nice stright shooting.

Mike_Indy

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Southern Indiana Club looks great, but, anyone know of private or public riles range closer to Indy? I have a 308 Semi and am about to purchase a Rem 700 5r Mil Spec. I'd like to find a place to shoot a few hundred yards and not have to spend a full day with travel.

DragonGunner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 14, 2010
    N. Central IN
    I've met guys from Indy an Crawfordsville up here near Wabash
    at Bass an Bucks...its about 100 miles straight North of Indy.
    They have huge dirt backstops an plenty of room to put up
    paper targets.

flyinlow78

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Bass and Bucks is your best bet. Very friendly people, and nice benches or berm to shoot from. I ventured up there late in the year last year, October, and the grass and weeds were a bit high for shooting off of the berm. That said, very 50 friendly. They do not allow tannerite after some idiots were attaching it to his backstops and destroying his backstops. There are metal gongs to hit at ranges past 300. Being able to drive back there is a huge plus too, and the guys using the shorter ranges will appreciate it, as it would take quite a while to walk that off. If you go after a rain, have a 4x4, as it gets rather muddy out there though. Post before you go, and you might have another 50 out there to keep yours company. :welcome:

Top Bottom