• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Fearthewolf

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 6, 2012
    Goshen, IN
    Alright, so im BRAND new to reloading, and I want to get into reloading .308 for sure, and possibly others as my gun collection grows. I have a good manual (thanks to Sgreen3), but now im curious what is a good place to pick up the needed equipment, I can order the supplies online easy enough or go to my local Big R and get them. But as for the equipment I would like to go to a local shop that might be able to give me some one on one help instead of "Can I help you find anything sir?" or "Push yes to confirm order" :laugh: I live in the Goshen/Elkhart area, so if anybody could point me in a good direction it'd be much appreciated.

Last edited:

lordjackel

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Aug 20, 2008
    Southern Arkansas
    Call Andrew!!

Profile Arms and Supply (see link on the page as they an advertiser) - they now have the ONLY reloading store in Indianapolis. And they offer a reloading class and carry everything you need (and can order anything you don't need)

Best way to get started in my book...its what I did.

HamsterStyle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Jul 27, 2010
    Carthage
    What he said. ^^^. It's a haul for you but it is worth it. I just took the class the other night and I'm still amazed by the amount of info I took in and retained. It was great and took the worries about reloading away.

+1 for Profire!!

Broom_jm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2009
    I know it can seem intimidating, making the decision on what equipment to purchase when you're just getting started. Nobody wants to buy a bunch of stuff, only to find out it's not really what they need, for the kind of reloading they're going to do. However, if you talk to a lot of reloaders, the general consensus is going to boil down to this:

1) If you reload both pistol and rifle, in fairly modest amounts, get a Lee Classic Turret.

2) If you reload primarily rifle cartridges, for long-range accuracy shooting, get a single-stage press, like the RCBS RockChucker.

3) If you're going to load a high volume of pistol or rifle ammo (223, 308, etc) get a progressive press, like a Dillon 550 or 650.

The first two are usually available in kits...not sure about the Dillon. Also, most folks will suggest starting with the simplicity of a single-stage, or a turret press with indexing disabled. This will allow you the time to really learn each stage of the reloading process, without being afraid you're making mistakes. I think this is sound logic, myself.

If you have any specific questions about different presses, ask away! There are lots of guys on here, including Andrew from Profire Arms, who will be glad to provide you with all the information you need to make an informed buying decision.

You can also learn an awful lot reading the stickies and past threads on the very same topic. ;)

Fearthewolf

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 6, 2012
    Goshen, IN
    Thanks for the suggestions! I really am unsure if I want to reload pistol ammo. I have a 9mm Hi-point and eventually I want to get a handgun, but that might be .45 or .40 S&W, who knows. Is reloading handgun runs more cost effective then Wal-mart?

downzero

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 16, 2010
    Is reloading handgun runs more cost effective then Wal-mart?

Depending on how much you shoot, brass cost, and caliber it could be by 50% or more. No matter what, the savings will be substantial.

If you only want to load for a .308 right now, you can get a cheap single stage press and get set up. If you can change your own oil, you can reload.

OEF5

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 15, 2010
    Mooresville
    I'm going to put another :+1:for Pro Fire, Yes it's a drive, come down on a Saturday and brin the wife (if you have one) stop in the store then take her to the Circle Centere Mall.

You won't get screwed over, he will tell you exactly what you need for a set up and his prices are great.

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    Featherwolf I see you are coming to the next NWI Meet & Shoot.
    Many of us at those events are also reloaders who you can talk shop to about this type of stuff. I don't reload rifle (yet) so I can't help you out. But don't buy anything yet until you have had a chance to talk to people, seen youtube videos, read the reloading manual, taken a class (if possible), and played on some presses if possible.

No one press does it all and what I may like (comfort/form wise) you may not and vice versa. It's like buying a car. All cars go from A to B and have 4 wheels. But some are real fancy like others are bare bones.

Fearthewolf

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 6, 2012
    Goshen, IN
    The problem I have is I work in retail and its really hard to get time off between Sep-Nov, because its our back to school/christmas season, but ill try to make it out if I can to the swap meet. And ive been taking the manual to work and reading it o my breaks :D but ill certainly check out Profire when time permits!

Broom_jm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2009
    Well, that would make ME want to load some ammo! :D

If you're just loading 308 for now and might load a few hundred 9mm for you Hi-Point every other month, I would strongly suggest the RCBS RockChucker single-stage press. Even if you eventually get into loading a higher volume with something else, the RC is a tool that will last a lifetime and keep right on going.

Fearthewolf

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 6, 2012
    Goshen, IN

If you're just loading 308 for now and might load a few hundred 9mm for you Hi-Point every other month, I would strongly suggest the RCBS RockChucker single-stage press. Even if you eventually get into loading a higher volume with something else, the RC is a tool that will last a lifetime and keep right on going.

Makes me want to go to the range (AKA, grandpas house) and fire a few hundered rounds :xmad: sadly I had to go to work and walk the 4 miles. But anywho, I will be using a lot of 9mm if I get a handgun in that caliber, for the simple fact to be as accurate as I can be with it. Thanks for the suggestion!

Cerberus

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 27, 2011
    Floyd County

I'm gonna second the RockChucker, and just about anything else made by RCBS. I used to be a big Lee fan, but since the switch I spend less time adjusting and more time loading. Varying lengths are a thing of the past now.

I'm also loving my Lyman #55 powder measure. My variance is now a wopping +/-.1 grain, which is a 200% improvement over the Lee and Hornady measures I've tried.

Top Bottom