• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ae168504

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Jan 9, 2012
    Indianapolis
    Looking to get a Pocket Carry .22lr Pistol as Back-up gun and was wanting to get your guys feedback. Leaning towards the Beretta Bobcat .22lr since my primary is the M9.

possum_128

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Martinsville area
    There are better opitions out there for pocket carry than a .22. If my main gun failed I would not want to depend on a .22 to save me. Get at least a 32acp or better yet, a .380, 9mm or a 38sp in a J frame for back-up.

dboz

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Dec 26, 2009
    Greenwood
    I own a Beretta Bobcat in .22lr. I like the tip up barrel, and the SA/DA. A few detractors that I found were:

The gun was considerably wider than the .25 auto that they offer. I think it is because the .25 is SAO? I don't really know, I am sure someone else will know more than me.

I cannot seat a full magazine. I have to leave 1 round out of the mag. I have no idea what causes this and have never called Beretta.

All in All, I would buy it again. I like that it is small, 100% reliable during the 200 rounds or so that I have fired, and that it shoots cheap .22lr. The grip is also shorter than the Taurus PT22, and that was important to me since my pockets are only so big.

Ricnzak

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Nov 15, 2008
    Noblesville
    A lot of folks will downplay the 22lr for any serious work. With that said I carry a Beretta. More often in shorts in warm weather. They can be ammo picky. Mine prefers CCI Mini Mags. It hates bulk box ammo.

T/C Guy

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 4, 2011
    North of South Bend
    There are better opitions out there for pocket carry than a .22. If my main gun failed I would not want to depend on a .22 to save me. Get at least a 32acp or better yet, a .380, 9mm or a 38sp in a J frame for back-up.
    I agree ! I carry an Airweight Ti J frame in .32 H&R Mag. (6 rnds instead of 5 rnds with .38 sp). It's very lightweight and compact so it carries easily even in sweatpants or shorts.

lucky4034

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 14, 2012
    Not exactly sure how small you want it, but the Ruger SR22 is really lightweight and relatively small. It seems to run very reliably and has nice sights and a good trigger.

I've shot both the SR22 and a LCP (.380) and I would choose the SR22 any day of the week if my life had to depend on it.

The reason being, is the trigger. I can't stand the trigger on some of those small pocket .32s and .380s... I've tried to shoot them well, but the trigger is so outrageous I wouldn't want to try and put 5 rounds on a target with any amount of speed. The .22lr, I can empty all ten rounds into a nice little group.

Caliber is only as good as the shooter can accurately make hits... I know "practice makes perfect" but considering I run a SR9c as my EDC, I'd prefer my back up be as similar as possible. I can't get that with an LCP...

----

With that said... if I was going to go with a .380, I would take a long look at the CZ83... not only are CZ's awesome... but it holds a robust 12 rounds!!!

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    .22 magnum revolver w/2" barrel. Your pick.

Why a .22 mag w/2" barrel? Because such a setup should penetrate 14" of gel in FMJ trim. I'm not comfortable with less.

Strictly a backup, tertiary, or for whatever reason can't carry more kind of last ditch gun for me.

Last edited:

ae168504

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Jan 9, 2012
    Indianapolis
    Thanks for all the advice so far guys. I understand there is better options, higher cal., out there but I am getting a .22lr anyway to shoot with the wife and her .22lr that she enjoys so I figured I would get something to carry as pocket back-up.

chachi73

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 7, 2009
    west burbs
    I had a pt22 for a short time and it is too thick for pocket carry. If i had to pocket carry a 22 it would be a NAA 1 1/8". Instead i carry a p3at. Waaay thinner than the pt22.

Kagnew

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Columbus
    Looking to get a Pocket Carry .22lr Pistol as Back-up gun and was wanting to get your guys feedback. Leaning towards the Beretta Bobcat .22lr since my primary is the M9.

Agreed. I keep my Bobcat loaded (7+1) with CCI Stingers. If anyone rags on you about carrying a .22, ask them if they're willing to take one! (If you decide to pocket-carry, get a pocket holster from Robert Mika.)

crispy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 29, 2010
    Noblesville
    353335_02_jiminez_ja_22_640.jpg

Okay, I'm kidding sorta. I actually have one and it has been flawless. I used it as my BUG in the BUG stage at a steel match once. Others shot it too. It surprised some people...

Indy60

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 10, 2012
    Central IN
    I own a Beretta Bobcat in .22lr. I like the tip up barrel, and the SA/DA. A few detractors that I found were:

The gun was considerably wider than the .25 auto that they offer. I think it is because the .25 is SAO? I don't really know, I am sure someone else will know more than me.

I cannot seat a full magazine. I have to leave 1 round out of the mag. I have no idea what causes this and have never called Beretta.

All in All, I would buy it again. I like that it is small, 100% reliable during the 200 rounds or so that I have fired, and that it shoots cheap .22lr. The grip is also shorter than the Taurus PT22, and that was important to me since my pockets are only so big.
    Your right about the six in the clip and one on the barrel The clip will not seat with the advertised 7 load. Another nice thing about the 22 Bobcat, the frame size is the same as the 32 Tomcat so accesories like the Crimson Trace grips and differnt holsters made for the 32 will fit the 22 also.

Kagnew

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Columbus
    Your right about the six in the clip and one on the barrel The clip will not seat with the advertised 7 load.

Au contraire, mon ami! All three of my magazines will seat just fine with seven rounds. (Then, again, I use magazines and not "clips". Maybe that's your problem. :D )

RobbyMaQ

#BarnWoodStrong
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Mar 26, 2012
    Lizton
    How many rounds do these things hold? Cuz Ive got a ruger lc9 that doesn't seem much bigger and hold 7+1? I'm simply curious.

Top Bottom