Best Red-Dot Sight Under $200 for Entry-Level AR-15?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    I am familiar with Holosun and they have all worked great for me. Bushnell's are very popular and I haven't really heard alot of negatives about them. Vortex's lifetime warranty can't be beat. I think for your purpose just starting out I would go with the Bushnell. It's a great value for the money.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Oh, I'm probably mixing up the Sport and the Sport II?

Probably. The first "sport" was a slick side. I'll let others argue if you "need" a forward assist or not, but I won't buy an AR without one. The Sport held no interest for me. The Sport II that replaced it is tough to say no to as an entry level gun. I kind of hate even saying "entry level" as that implies you'll grow out of it. Odds are unless you REALLY take a shine to ARs, you won't shoot enough to wear any of the major brands out, you won't see any difference in accuracy that's relevant to you, etc. If you do start shooting enough for it to matter, the gun was the cheap part compared to ammo anyway, wear out a $500 gun learning what you like and what you don't.

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    Probably. The first "sport" was a slick side. I'll let others argue if you "need" a forward assist or not, but I won't buy an AR without one. The Sport held no interest for me. The Sport II that replaced it is tough to say no to as an entry level gun. I kind of hate even saying "entry level" as that implies you'll grow out of it. Odds are unless you REALLY take a shine to ARs, you won't shoot enough to wear any of the major brands out, you won't see any difference in accuracy that's relevant to you, etc. If you do start shooting enough for it to matter, the gun was the cheap part compared to ammo anyway, wear out a $500 gun learning what you like and what you don't.

This was basically my exact line of thinking. I shot my brother-in-law's AR when they came to visit for Christmas, and loved it. We stopped by Bob's shop, and I took at look at/handled both the Ruger AR-556 and the S&W Sport II. I could tell almost no difference between the two (but, I'm not sure I'd know enough to recognize any differences, anyway). Both were the same price, and I realized: for $619, why have I not bought one yet?

I really appreciate the advice, and will definitely take it into consideration when I make the purchase in the next few months.

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Is this, being Primary Arms, basically the same thing as the HOLOSUN? I'm still a bit confused on that.
    I've heard that Holosun makes the Primary Arms branded red dots. I've had Holosuns and I also currently have one of those PA advanced micro dots. They've both been good sights for the money.

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Here's a Military Arms Channel you tube where they discuss affordable optics. Both scopes and red dots.

[video=youtube;34Fy1wKupWM]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=34Fy1wKupWM&t=377s[/video]

Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Oct 3, 2008
    On a hill in Perry C
    That's two vote-of-confidence for the Vortex, from among the optics in the $150-200 price range. I take it that you guys like it better than the Holosun? If so, is there any particular reason?

I'm also interested in comparing red and green dot settings. My eyes can be...funny (very near-sighted, terribly astigmatic, cross-dominant, but good with color differentiation as far as I know). So, that was one of the things that interested me about the Vortex.

If you've got astigmatism that bad then you'll probably want to avoid anything with a projected dot. Almost everything I've seen (and is borne out by personal experience) is the dots those types of sights tend to distort, instead of a sharp dot you'll end up seeing a starburst, a comet, or even multiple dots. I've tried RDSs and ended up replacing every one due to my astigmatism (and its not really that bad) with something with an etched reticle. At the very least look through a few before you buy, your eyes may work fine with them, or they may not.

BTW, I've also got a Ruger, and it is a fine rifle.

JStang314

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 8, 2011
    If you've got astigmatism that bad then you'll probably want to avoid anything with a projected dot. Almost everything I've seen (and is borne out by personal experience) is the dots those types of sights tend to distort, instead of a sharp dot you'll end up seeing a starburst, a comet, or even multiple dots. I've tried RDSs and ended up replacing every one due to my astigmatism (and its not really that bad) with something with an etched reticle. At the very least look through a few before you buy, your eyes may work fine with them, or they may not.

have to agree with this. I have great vision and color differentiation. I'm tested on both annually for work. However one thing I've never been tested on is astigmatism. I can use red dots but they look like crap to me. I'll usually see a cluster of small dots and a starburst. It kills me because I like red dots and the way they work. I was planning on buying a SparcAR for a .40 AR pistol but ended up getting the Vortex SpitfireAR It works out really well for me. Nice crisp reticle on red or green. Also when it's not illuminated it still has a black reticle so you can still use it if you run the battery down.

Might be worth looking into if your eyes see red dots like mine do. It's a little over budget at around $250 but worth it if your eyes don't agree with the red dots.

freekforge

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 20, 2012
    marion
    I have a trs25 and strike fire both are excellent red dots. I prefer the vortex because it seems to have clearer glass. However i am going to pick up another trs25 for another budget build.

baldmax

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    57   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    North Liberty
    I jist picked up a Lucid HD7 gen3. Has 4 reticle selections, BDC, T, circle dot and dot. Holds zero switching between all 4. Runs an a AAA battery, decent battery life. Can find the for about $150-$180.

dhamby

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 1, 2013
    Crawfordsville area

Beat me to it. The astigmatism will most likely cause the OP issues with a RDS. I would suggest taking a look at a 1-4 power scope or similar with a true 1x. If you get it with illumination you can use it at 1x for quick acquisition shooting with a large field of view similar to a RDS.

The Athlon Talos BTR 1-4x24 can be had for under your $200 budget and is illuminated with an etched reticle. Also backed by a similar no questions asked lifetime warranty as Vortex. Athlon Optics » Blog Archive » Talos BTR 1-4×24 AHSR14 SFP IR MIL

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon

have to agree with this. I have great vision and color differentiation. I'm tested on both annually for work. However one thing I've never been tested on is astigmatism. I can use red dots but they look like crap to me. I'll usually see a cluster of small dots and a starburst. It kills me because I like red dots and the way they work. I was planning on buying a SparcAR for a .40 AR pistol but ended up getting the Vortex SpitfireAR It works out really well for me. Nice crisp reticle on red or green. Also when it's not illuminated it still has a black reticle so you can still use it if you run the battery down.

Might be worth looking into if your eyes see red dots like mine do. It's a little over budget at around $250 but worth it if your eyes don't agree with the red dots.

Beat me to it. The astigmatism will most likely cause the OP issues with a RDS. I would suggest taking a look at a 1-4 power scope or similar with a true 1x. If you get it with illumination you can use it at 1x for quick acquisition shooting with a large field of view similar to a RDS.

The Athlon Talos BTR 1-4x24 can be had for under your $200 budget and is illuminated with an etched reticle. Also backed by a similar no questions asked lifetime warranty as Vortex. Athlon Optics » Blog Archive » Talos BTR 1-4×24 AHSR14 SFP IR MIL

See, this is why I love INGO.

I'm thinking, based on all the input so far, it would be a good idea to get the Bushnell for $65, if for no other reason than to determine if a red dot sight even works for me. Even if not, I'm only out $65 (and my dad gets a new RDS *grin*).

SheepDog4Life

Natural Gray Man
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 14, 2016
    SW IN
    I have a Ruger AR 556 and really like it. However, if I were buying TODAY, I would be ordering the M&P II deal BehindBlueI's mentioned. With the newer model S&W has covered the "features", forward assist and dust cover, plus the M & P II has the forward sling mount, so you don't have to find and buy a ball-detente for the Ruger.

IMO, $500 for a complete basic AR is an amazing bargain.

Use the money saved to replace the trigger with an ALG ACT trigger, $69 retail but can be found on sale for ~$50. Stlll a mil-spec trigger, but perfect smooth.... like the best mil-spec trigger evah!

Finally, the real question you asked, lol! I have and would highly recommend the Primary Arms ACSS (I have the 2.5x, though it looks like there's a new 3x). First, the reticule is etched, so dead batteries don't sink you completely. I REALLY like the large horseshoe on the reticle for in close, say 25 yds... it's like a big red dot that get's me on close target's amazing fast. Then, it also has a small horseshoe that is like a medium red dot out to 100 yds. Then it had a series of 1 moa drop compensated dots for out to 500 yds.

Primary Arms 2.5X Compact AR15 Scope with Patented CQB ACSS Reticle

The reticle looks busy at first, but it's not after just one trip to the range. For targets in close and out to 100 yds, your eye naturally goes to the large or small horseshoe as appropriate for quite target acquisition. For longer range shooting, the fine dots are smaller (1 MOA) than your group will be (2-3 MOA).

$200 with the mounting rail including that will co-witness.

Last edited:

dhamby

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 1, 2013
    Crawfordsville area
    See, this is why I love INGO.

I'm thinking, based on all the input so far, it would be a good idea to get the Bushnell for $65, if for no other reason than to determine if a red dot sight even works for me. Even if not, I'm only out $65 (and my dad gets a new RDS *grin*).

If you really want to try a RDS then the Bushnell would be the way to go. They really can't be beat for the price and are very durable. Odds are even if you decide to sell it you would take little to no loss.

Dean C.

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 25, 2013
    Westfield
    Imho the SPARC AR is the best $200 red dot out there already has a mount and comes with Vortex's excellent reputation and warranty, Alan's website shows out of stock so I would try to contact him and see if he could get one.

Sparc AR

Top Bottom