• ...and so much more!
  • 42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    imo your first manual should be one non component brand specific. get somthing like the abcs of reloading. then worry about component brand manuals. if you buy the barnes manual and want to look up a load with hornady bullets you have to try and match bullet wieght.

indyjoe

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 20, 2008
    Indy - South
    I agree with the basics of reloading book first. It is generally a good idea to have more than one manual and look at loads in both. Just a safety for one having a misprint.

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    also on another note when you actually get started and look for load data on the internet ALWAYS compare loads somone posts to your book. a typo can make a big boom.

NIFT

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 3, 2009
    Fort Wayne, Indiana
    Unfortunate fact of reloading life:
    There is no one-best reloading manual, and a person can spend hundreds of dollars on a collection of manuals and only use a very tiny fraction of all the reloading data.

After getting a "Reloading 101" book and digesting it, consider the Lyman manual. It is, certainly, one of the best and the one I recommend. However, like all other reloading manuals, it has a mountain of reloading data on calibers, bullets, primers, powders, and loads you will never use. Then, for the calibers you do use, like all other reloading manuals, it will not have anywhere close to all possible combinations of primers, powders, charges, and bullets. However, it does have a large percentage of the most widely used combinations and excellent input on what seems to work the best.

Then, start "pumping brass!" :):

boljr01

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    :+1: for Hornady as I use a ton of their bullets and they have some bonus sections that appeal to me (i.e.- M1 Garand). They just released thier 8th edition so I'd skip #7 if you go this route.

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    For just getting started out, get Richard Lee's book, Modern Reloading, and the Lyman book.

The pictures and descriptions of the PROCESS of reloading in both books are what you need to learn what is needed to reload safely.

Most reloaders end up with manuals from all the bullet and powder companies.

TheDude

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    104   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Southeast Kentuckiana.
    Originally Posted by Aszerigan
    Take a reloading class. :D There are several offered here on the forum. There is no substitute for supervised hands on training.

If youi are anywhere close to Fort Wayne, the next reloading class is on January 15, 2011, should you desire to take a class.
    http://www.iftnra.com/classes.html

This is on my mind as well. WIth Aszerigan being the closet in the Indy area. I am in the far SE corner of the state so if anyone knows of a closer one, gimme a shout please?

PaPa 260

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 4, 2009
    338 has it right. The Sierra manual is the best out there and the guys on the tech line are top notch. They man the tech line till 8:00 PM central time. You can also go their website and get the email address and email questions to them. They respond promptly with quality answers.

PaPa 260

The Keymaster

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 12, 2010
    Manistee County, MI
    For just getting started out, get Richard Lee's book, Modern Reloading, and the Lyman book.

The pictures and descriptions of the PROCESS of reloading in both books are what you need to learn what is needed to reload safely.

Most reloaders end up with manuals from all the bullet and powder companies.

These are the 2 that I prefer, and use the most. That being said I have over 20 different manuals.

Terry4570

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 18, 2010
    N.A. IN.
    My favorite is the Sierra Edition V,but I compair loads from other manuals.Some of the older manuals have loads that the newer one's don't have.And like some others have said you can call sierra and talk to tech guys they are really nice people.I am self taught ,but you have to read how to and classes would be good.Step by step and never try to remember a load,look it up and write down what you have just made!I have had people ask me how much powder I use for what ever,my reply is I don't know need my load info.but they rattle off what they use and how much,and maybe some can do that but I want to be safe.The guy who ask how much, a old co-worker kind of messed up one of his guns.He didn't tell me I was told by somebody else.That guy is a BOMB MAKER !:alcoholic:

Top Bottom