• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • GlockZ

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 30, 2011
    Southern Indiana
    For the past year I've been carrying Critical Defense in my EDC. My EDC is a G26 and I haven't carried or shot +p loads out of it. Tomorrow I will be purchasing a G19. I'm thinking about carrying +p loads in it and wanted to see what everyone else was carrying. I've been trying to find Critical Duty, since it passed the rigorous FBI test.

So what load do you carry? Also does bullet weight matter to you?

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    Handgun calibers suck. All of them.

The differences between Brand A Defensive Ammo and Brand B Defensive Ammo are so minute that it isn't worth taking the time to argue over them.

Pick one, shoot a bunch of it in your EDC to confirm its accuracy and reliability, and go on about your day. :yesway:

netsecurity

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 14, 2011
    Hancock County
    You can't buy these in stores because they are made for "law enforcement only", but you can buy them online. I like these two:

Federal HST 147gr +P
    Winchester Ranger Talon 147gr +P

Do NOT buy +P+.

bowtie

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Oct 28, 2012
    South Bend
    Handgun calibers suck. All of them.

The differences between Brand A Defensive Ammo and Brand B Defensive Ammo are so minute that it isn't worth taking the time to argue over them.

Pick one, shoot a bunch of it in your EDC to confirm its accuracy and reliability, and go on about your day. :yesway:

I agree 100%

To the OP hornady makes good stuff as well as federal. The thing that bugs me about hornady they have so many different styles of bullets and seems like they are always coming out with a new style.

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    I use ball ammo for my 9mm and 45 ACP. I use 158 SWC for my 38's and 357 magnums.

I use 00 buck in my 12 gauge shotguns and FMJ ammo in my .223, .308, and 30.06 ammo.

I am a simple person. I spend far more time being proficient with my firearms than what spews forth out of them.

Never A Victim

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Sep 25, 2012
    Hamilton County
    I use ball ammo for my 9mm and 45 ACP. I use 158 SWC for my 38's and 357 magnums.

I use 00 buck in my 12 gauge shotguns and FMJ ammo in my .223, .308, and 30.06 ammo.

I am a simple person. I spend far more time being proficient with my firearms than what spews forth out of them.

Do not do this. Please, please, please, carry a hollowpoint round of some kind. I'm not trying to start a debate about FMJ's vs HP, but regardless of what caliber it is, you should be carrying HP's for defensive carry. Period.

That being said, I carry a G19 as well. I carry Corbon DPX 115gn. I like the DPX line because while it is a hollowpoint, it is not a jacketed bullet. Meaning, when it goes through a peice of glass, car door, outer layer of clothing...there is a small chance the outer layer can peel off. The bullet stays together, holds its shape better, and most importantly, has excellent penetration. Penetration is key.

Skip

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2010
    12 miles from Michigan
    Here is what I carry:
    200grMihecCramer5_6grAA21_188OAL45ACP.jpg

They are made by a specialty ammo maker just for my firearms. That same HP version can be made in lots of calibers and weights.

I get the highest velocities from them and, they work in my firearms without a flaw.

The BEST SD/HD round that you can use is the one that @ 7 yards you can point shoot and hit center mass on a target, several times in 3 or 4 seconds. Carry a cannon if you want, if you miss, it really doesn't matter what bullet/caliber combination you use.

Oh, and those rounds, the ones from the specialty ammo maker, they are made by me in my Man Cave. Just for clarification. ;)

other dave

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    79   0   0
    Jan 4, 2010
    Howard County
    Aguila IQ 117 grain HP in my G30. They haven't made it for a few years. Here is the write-up from the manufacturer.

1450fps/546fpe! This line of ammunition is loaded with the firstintelligent bullet, made of an alloy (no lead) with a low specificweight. They're called intelligent bullets because they recognize thehardness of the target at the moment the projectile hits it, and innanoseconds the projectile configures accordingly. Thus, if thetarget is very hard, the IQ bullet will have superior penetrationwhile maintaining its weight and size. If the target is ballisticgelatin, it will not over penetrate, transferring all the energy intothe soft target, and breaking apart into three or four sharpfragments, each creating independent wound channels. Two additionalfeatures that make this high performance ammunition unique is thatthey can be fired in any firearm made for the corresponding caliber,without any modification to the firearm, and recoil is not greaterthan when shooting regular ammunition. The IQ line of ammunition wasspecially developed with personal defense and law enforcementapplications in mind and it is also suitable for hunting.

IQcartridges will achieve substantial higher velocities when fired inlong barreled weapons. Recent tests made with a new .45 ACP Carbine(16" barrel length, 1:16" twist) made by one of the majorgun manufacturers firing our .45 ACP IQ cartridges producedvelocities very close to 1800 fps generating less recoil than similarammunition at slower velocities

Top Bottom