• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JBob77

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 7, 2009
    Scott County
    My wife's cousin is from Kentucky. He has lived in Indiana off and on, but I don't know if he has ever officially changed his address. He left a .22 rifle here over a year ago. He also owes my wife some money. He wanted to basically give us the rifle in lieu of payment for the debt. I don't need it, and would sell it if we decided to do this, but here is my question. It has been in our possession for over 1 year, and he knowing left it here. Since it is in Indiana currently, and I have had it for so long, would I be able to sell it to another Indiana resident without any issues, or would there become some sort of out of state transfer involved? Any help would be appreciated.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    If you are in Indiana, the gun is in Indiana, and you sell it to someone in Indiana, I dont see why any out of state transfer would be involved.

45fan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 20, 2011
    East central IN
    I was under the impression that handguns were the only thing the state of residence was an issue. I haven't ran into this myself though, so its never been a subject I have dug into very deeply.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    I was under the impression that handguns were the only thing the state of residence was an issue. I haven't ran into this myself though, so its never been a subject I have dug into very deeply.

If the OP's cousin gives the gun to the OP then it wouldn't be a problem even with a handgun.Since the owner would then be a Indiana resident selling it to another Indiana resident, in Indiana. :dunno:

24Carat

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 20, 2010
    Newburgh
    My wife's cousin is from Kentucky. He has lived in Indiana off and on, but I don't know if he has ever officially changed his address. He left a .22 rifle here over a year ago. He also owes my wife some money. He wanted to basically give us the rifle in lieu of payment for the debt. I don't need it, and would sell it if we decided to do this, but here is my question. It has been in our possession for over 1 year, and he knowing left it here. Since it is in Indiana currently, and I have had it for so long, would I be able to sell it to another Indiana resident without any issues, or would there become some sort of out of state transfer involved? Any help would be appreciated.

MAJOR risk factor here! Tell ya what, I'll step up and take it off your hands and deal with the consequences. If I ever see fit to sell it (taking all the risk of course) I'll send you the money.

JBob77

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 7, 2009
    Scott County
    To add, the rifle was a present from his wife, when they were together. I assume she purchased it new, also assuming somewhere in KY. AFAIK she has never been an Indiana resident. I also have reason to believe that he has never legally been an Indiana resident, meaning, He has "lived" here for periods of time, but I believe his address has always been somewhere in Kentucky. His whole family lives there, aside from aunts, uncles and cousins.

Bunnykid68

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Mar 2, 2010
    Cave of Caerbannog
    If you want to be safe you can always spend the $10-$25 and have a transfer done. Then there are absolutely no worries. If you are worried about it just do the transfer.

Electronrider

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    White County
    In my family, guns are routinely moved about the family based on who needs money at that particular time. It is considered a major faux paux to sell the gun to an outsider of the family without giving the family member ample notice and opportunity to get the gun back first. I would make sure that the cousin is OK with you selling the gun off. My brothers and I call this the family pawn shop:D Other than that, the gun is in your possession, and you are good to go.

Top Bottom