Best way to start shooting clay games...

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Jack Ryan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    If you want to get in it, look for a used browning citori. Amazing guns. If sporting is all it will be used for, look for a trap or sporting model. An o/u will let you play all the games and is easier to maintain. Regardless of want you decide just get out and start shooting. Just my :twocents:

Jerry

Absolutely will echo this. Browing, Citori, O/U, play all the games... 100%

Only thing to add would be possibly an adjustable stock would be nice if it's an option you run across because you are taller than average and to get a trap grade stock. Neither is a make or break option, just something to take notice of if you run across it. The trap stock will make trap a lot easier and won't hurt you any at any of the other games.

O/U is the only way to go for ducks and any other bad weather or cold weather shotgun hunting other than deer and that's really more like rifle hunting than shotgun hunting. If you are looking at and interested in the clay sports I wouldn't even give slugs the time of day in consideration for a shotgun. Nor would I give any consideration of any kind to any of the goofy Rambo mods.

1donos

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    Find a gun that fits you well and go out and enjoy!! You will have more success if the gun fits well and is comfortable to shoot.

Indydrew

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    This is the perfect illustration as to why I follow this board, everyone out here is willing to share advice and offer assistance to anyone, even folks they don't know. That is so uncommon these days, sadly. I really appreciate the information in spite of the fact that I know it is going to lead to several "thinning of the wallet moments" in the future. :):

It already started: I went to Dick's to pick up shells to take singlesix up on his offer next week (my wife is out of town this week = Single Dad, so most likely a no-go this Thursday). I spent the rest of evening surfing trap sites, drooling over guns and just generally trying to pick up as much "book learnin" as possible.

Thanks all for your input and your time to assist a noob, it is greatly appreciated.

-Drew

Limpy88

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Nov 12, 2009
    Lafayette
    i use a winchester sx3 for trap and skeet. i shot a flat a week give or take. the biggest thing with a gun you will put 10,000 rounds of 12 ga through is fit. if the gun does no fit you, do not get it. i know you are limited with guns being lefty. but and O/U would be the best bet. a winchester101 or a browing are the best choices for under 1000. benelli make a m2 and superblack eagle leftys as well.
    also in danville the is the twin bridges skeet and trap club. i shot there regularly.

FatGeek

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 30, 2010
    You might want to check out the Lanber brand of O/U's. CDNN has these starting at $450. I have never used one of these but have heard good things about them and am thinking about ordering one myself. For the money, i have also heard good stuff about the Weatherby branded semi-auto's. You should be able to find those in the $450 range also.

Jim B - Thank you.

IndyDrew, I didn't mean to divert your thread, I hope this info was useful to you also. Good luck getting started.

Jack Ryan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    This is the perfect illustration as to why I follow this board, everyone out here is willing to share advice and offer assistance to anyone, even folks they don't know. That is so uncommon these days, sadly. I really appreciate the information in spite of the fact that I know it is going to lead to several "thinning of the wallet moments" in the future. :):

It already started: I went to Dick's to pick up shells to take singlesix up on his offer next week (my wife is out of town this week = Single Dad, so most likely a no-go this Thursday). I spent the rest of evening surfing trap sites, drooling over guns and just generally trying to pick up as much "book learnin" as possible.

Thanks all for your input and your time to assist a noob, it is greatly appreciated.

-Drew

If you REALLY want the "know exactly what you are gettng in to" expirience, stay until a lot of people start finishing and watch them CLEAN their guns. ESPECIALLY any you've decided you like enough to consider buying. If you really hit it off with some one and like the gun they are shooting ask them if you mind watching or learning how to clean that gun.

You will learn a thousand dollars worth of why one gun makes a better gun for shooting clays sports and bird/rabbit/ shot gun hunting.

If they take theirs home and clean it it or act like they don't want any one to watch put that one on the alarm list for one you'll HATE TO CLEAN. It stays there until you see some one else clean it at the range before they put it in the case.

Pay close attention to the guys who have about a 30 second conversation with you while they push a "feather duster" on a stick through both barrels, wipe it off with an oily rag and then they say "that's about it".

Zoub

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Northern Edge, WI
    I would never buy any of the new Ithacas and I would say no Ithaca 37 at all for a newbie on a Trap pad. When they jam, they jam hard and they jam more than any other pump. Simple fact, but some will take that personal, it's not. I love 37's too, just choose not to use them.

I like Jack's post above.

22collector

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 12, 2010
    Warsaw
    I'm a leftie shooting a right-handed Remington 1100 and have no problems with shells denting my face or my my glasses. If you want to start less expensive, then the 1100 is a good choice. If you can start in the $1,000 range, I would recommend either a BT-99, or a good used o/u. It's been awhile, but the Outdoorman in Greenwood had a used 1100 trap for $600. That's over book value, but it was very nice.

Indydrew

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    OK here is the update:

I went out to MCF&G and got some good coaching and shot a round with a borrowed gun. I knew not to expect much, but I wasn't coming close to hitting anything and thinking this may not be for me. Then I figured out what my sight picture should look like and absolutely powdered the last bird in my round...Uh oh, I was hooked instantly, I can't wait to get back out there.

The issue I have is borrowing someone's gun, I would feel horrible if I scratched it (I typically don't borrow items of value for just that reason). To fix that, I have spent every minute of free time scouring gun reviews and 'gunbroker.com type sites' to fix that problem. :):

I think I have it narrowed down to one of these (subject to change):
    -Browning Citori Trap
    -Browning BT-99 Trap
    -Beretta AL391 Urika Trap

All of these are of the used variety...to get the best bang for the buck.

Thank you guys for you input so far, any thoughts on these or additional guns to look at? I want to check out the Indy 1500 to try to actually touch these guns and see how they feel and pick up some INGO gear. :ingo:

Thanks,

-Drew

Chance

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 25, 2009
    Berne
    Your gun options

As you hsve learned with your "borrowed gun" experience whatever you get will take some getting used to.

I have my Citori 325 for sporting clays/skeet because it shoots very flat and point of aim. I have the AL391 Trap for just that sport. Trap targets are always rising targets and the placement of the shot is different than for SC/Skeet.

Also, the true trap guns are a huge benefit when you are shooting from the 27 yard line.

The semi-auto is also a plus in the recoil reduction department.

Good luck with your selection and welcome to the addictive sport of shooting clays!

Indydrew

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    How is the AL391 in terms of take down difficulty and general dependability? Have you had any problems?

In my searches, I have not found one review that has anything negative to say about that gun and I keep coming back to it out of the three I listed...

Thanks for the input,

-Drew

cbhausen

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Feb 17, 2010
    Indianapolis, IN
    That was my Browning Gold Sporting Clays you borrowed last week. You and I are lefties and if the ejecting hulls didn't bother you than a side-ported semi-auto will do fine. Your choice of gun depends on whether you want to do more than break singles with it. If you want to do sproting clays then obviously a single-shot break barrel isn't the best choice. Don't get in a hurry to make a decision; deals will always be out there. Just come on back to MCF&G and keep trying guns until you find your soul-mate.

Chance

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 25, 2009
    Berne
    AL 391

I have had absolutely no trouble with my AL391 trap gun. Not hard to disassemble (I take it to the range with the barrel off in a take-down case) and no trouble to clean. I added a T&S shell catcher that snaps onto the ejection port and it catches the empties fine.

One other change I made was to install an adjustable butt plate. I have dialed it in to insure that my mounting is consistent and that the angle of the pad is perfect for me.

Top Bottom