• ...and so much more!
  • chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    Sounds reasonable enough.

I suppose I should elaborate since he's new and I don't want to come off as a dick.

What I mean is that it's a Glock, it'll eat whatever you feed it. Try a variety and find what ammo you prefer. The only ammo I ever had trouble with in any of my Glocks was Tula, and that was just because their primers suck. They tend to have at least 1 dead primer in every other box or so.

You're not really supposed to shoot lead through it because of the polygonal rifling, but other than that, go to town.

BJones

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Aug 26, 2009
    Noblesville/Westfld
    I suppose I should elaborate since he's new and I don't want to come off as a dick.

What I mean is that it's a Glock, it'll eat whatever you feed it. Try a variety and find what ammo you prefer. The only ammo I ever had trouble with in any of my Glocks was Tula, and that was just because their primers suck. They tend to have at least 1 dead primer in every other box or so.

You're not really supposed to shoot lead through it because of the polygonal rifling, but other than that, go to town.

What chezuki says is correct. I have never had or seen any ammo that a Glock would not eat. The only time I have seen ammo problems is with reloads, and those were ammo issues not the gun.
    You will love that gun, a Glock 19 is as versatile and reliable as you can buy.

sharpetop

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 12, 2008
    My Glocks [present and previous] have never had a malfunction with any ammo. Find something that you shoot the best and is readily available and affordable.

70worm

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 8, 2011
    Pendleton
    I never use ammo with any exposed lead, because it's soft and it jams easier. It's usually not a problem with 9mm but soft exposed lead on a .50ae or .45 will jam alot. Happen to me on a DE & 1911.

ryan3030

Master
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    Indy
    The only thing to avoid is un-jacketed lead bullets. Some people still use them and just give the barrel a good cleaning afterwards.

Your manual should say something about not using lead because it leads up the rifling.

RND

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 15, 2014
    Westfield
    I've noticed the G30; and would be willing to wager upon getting my 19 in 13 days, likes them heavy rounds. That is where I'd start (124 or greater).

PMR

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 28, 2013
    NWI, Cedar Lake
    I love my gen4 G19, I've ran about a dozen different brands and have only had problems with Tula. Out of a box of 50 had a couple of stove pipes and a couple of failure to feed/chamber a round.

Make sure to run 100 rounds plus of what you decide to use for defensive ammo to make sure it runs when you need it.

Enjoy your new firearm and welcome to INGO, Pat

KingThomas

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 23, 2014
    Jeffersonville
    Thanks so much for all the advice and info! I was mainly asking because I've had friends who have had problems running Federal through their Glocks. I have a ton of it laying around that I usually put through my Beretta or HS2000 with no issues. Just wondering if I should start stocking something else. I plan on hitting the range in the next few weeks and trying out a variety.

KingThomas

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 23, 2014
    Jeffersonville
    Thanks PMR. I'll certainly do that. I never was a huge Glock fan in the past. I had a lot of problems with a G21 years ago. But after firing a friends G19 a few weeks back, I HAD to have one. I believe it's gonna be my EDC from here on...

PMR

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 28, 2013
    NWI, Cedar Lake
    Just an FYI, I've ran around 200 rounds of Federal Champion 115 grain FMJ and 100 rounds of my carry ammo which is Federal HST 124 grain JHP with not a single issue. I'd say your good to go.

Pat

El-Cigarro

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 30, 2011
    J Stang! Not to be NOSEY, but where (Roughly) do you hail from??? I have a G-23 too. I like it quite a bit. Use Rem Golden Sabers in mine.... :cool:

snafu21

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 25, 2014
    Indianapolis
    I've put a lot of PPU and CCI Blazer down range into paper but find what I like best (and carry) is Underwood Ammo.

The only time I've actually seen any ammo issue with Glocks is people "limp wristing" when shooting.

Fordtough25

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.1%
    110   1   0
    Apr 14, 2010
    Jefferson County
    Anything besides lead should be good to go, I shoot the cheapest I can find for practice. As already said, run a couple boxes of your carry ammo through it to be safe for function.

Top Bottom