Better place to visit and hike: HNF Charles Deam Wilderness or Muscatatuck NWR??

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Indy317

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 27, 2008
    In late October I will be taking a vacation to Utah and Nevada. There are numerous national parks we plan on visiting. It will be much cheaper for us to get the National Parks and Federal Lands annual pass. The pass is good for one year from the month of purchase. I don't want to risk buying it on-line and having something happen. The pass is available for physical sale at both the Hoosier National Forest and Muscatatuck NWR. I've always planned on visiting both at some point, and might do just that this fall if I have time. However, I will definitely make time to visit one of these places to do a short day hike and buy the pass so that I know I have it for our vacation later in the month. I will call before going to make sure the place I choose has the pass in stock so I don't waste a trip.

I was wondering what folks thought of both the Hoosier National Forest and Muscatatuck? I have no idea where they sell the pass in HNF and if it is in some building closer to the far south of the state, I likely won't want to travel that far unless I have the time. However, if they sell it near the Charles Deam Wilderness, that is a place that looks interesting, especially a hike to the fire lookout tower. Muscatatuck also shows hiking trails and towers. Any suggestions on which one is worth a visit, or are they both worth a visit? Suggestions on short (one to two mile) trails? Thanks.

rockhopper46038

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    89   0   0
    May 4, 2010
    Fishers
    I think the passes and permits are obtained in Bedford for the Hoosier National Forest. Not certain if you can get the National Park pass right at the park entrance, but maybe. I like the Deam Wilderness, but don't have any familiarity with your other choice so I can't really make a recommendation, I guess.

jbell_64

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 11, 2011
    Mitchell
    The Forest Service offices in both Bedford and Tell City sell the national passes. The Bedford office is 30-45 minutes from the wilderness area depending on which side of it you want to go to. The fire tower does not require a hike. There is a parking lot and trailhead right under it. If you want to hike trails on wooded hills, go to the Hoosier. If you want to hike gravel roads and look at wetlands, go to Muskatatuck.

74J10

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 6, 2012
    I used to hike Deam with Boy Scouts. We would camp at the horseman camp right off 446 and then hike from there out to the peninsula and camp for the night and then hike back. Round trip 15 miles. Could be shorter if you don't want to do that long. We never, that I knew of, got a park pass for us to go hike it. I didn't think you needed it in the national forest. It is a very cool area to go hike though.

I did a big trip out west when I graduated college 3 years ago. I just bought the park pass at the first national park we went to. It was no big deal and you do it at the entrance to the park where you would normally pay your entrance fee. I wouldn't worry about getting it advance too much.

Top Bottom