• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Sgt Stoner

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 22, 2010
    Fishers
    I generally stick with Fossil brand wallets. Ive had 3 in the last 10 years. The first one wasnt very built that well. The other two I intentionally looked for a sturdy build and they have done well.

GMtoblat

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 9, 2012
    Crane
    If you like pulp fiction, do what i did and buy a bad mother F*****R wallet! I have bought two in 5 years my most recent one is about 6 months old! They are about 30 bucks but they are worth it! quality is good and it starts a lot of conversations!
    I knew opening this thread someone would mention this low and behold post # 4 lol. I got my wallet four years ago at Spencers, I was young, i still have it, needs replacing though.

SERparacord

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 16, 2012
    Amish Mafia Bar
    shopping

IMG_291630.jpg

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=&sku=900237&Q=&is=REG&A=details

Last edited:

IndyTom

Expert
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Oct 3, 2013
    Fishers
    Fossil wallet here, too. Probably had it for 10 years and it is still holding up nicely. I also tend to store too much stuff in it and have to make a conscious decision to get rid of old business cards and the like that I no longer need.

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    You must not have kids. When in doubt, mine get me a new wallet. I am hard to shop for because they don't understand most of the stuff I really want. So I just buy my own aviation stuff.

I'll bet I have a half dozen wallets in a drawer waiting to be used. I don't care how long they last.

rgrimm01

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 4, 2011
    Sullivan County, IN
    I get mine from Harley Davidson. Maybe had 2 in 10 years. still using 1

Just out of curiosity, do you find that it leaves an oily spot in your jeans (well, I guess technically anyplace that you leave it) and requires refurbishing/rebuilding (beyond what might be considered normal maintenance) throughout the winter months?

I have lessened the amount of items in the wallet and have gone to a front pocket wallet and have not looked back. It still manages to hold several cards and paper money without the bulk and discomfort of sitting on a rear pocket wallet. In addition, it has never slid out from my front pocket. I use Dockers' leather "card case with money clip" (that has a pouch in the center I use for paper money and the clip for temp storage of receipts that I want to keep).

I could not believe how much unnecessary clutter I had kept in a larger wallet.

VN Vet

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 26, 2008
    Indianapolis
    My Harley-Davidson Leather Tri-fold will last me the rest of my days. I've had it for ten years and expect it to last another twenty. Expensive, Yes. Anything with the H-D logo is expensive, but it is also high quality stuff.

However, the Wilson Outlet is also good. Just buy enough to last you twenty years or so.

Killion

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 11, 2013
    Indianapolis/warren
    I bought a couple wallets locally in Indianapolis. The group I purchased them from is "People for Urban Progress". These hippies recycle material from Indianapolis and make goods with the material. They use the profits to do hippy things in the city to make it look better! Neat stuff really. I try to keep everything local....**** China and the Internet!!!! My wallet was made with the roofing material of the old Hoosier dome. Its great quality and should last a long time! I love it....it is very unique.

here is a link to the the wallet

Classic Bifold Dome Wallet Black by PUPshop on Etsy

People for Urban Progress - Products

warthog

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Feb 12, 2013
    Vigo County
    With the rise of both ID Theft and CREDIT CARDS using RFID Technology along with both DL's and Passports I have purchased RFID blocking real leather made in the USA leather and Passport holders to further insure my identity is not stolen.

All it takes is a simple RFID reader, which a thief can conceal in a bag or fanny-pack and they just need to walk through the room, getting within a few feet of everyone of interest and without something blocking them, they read all the info from your cards and ID and save it to disk for use later.

wildhair

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 25, 2013
    Indianapolis
    Yep. I've been sitting on the same plain tri-fold for the past decade or so. It's actually Geoffrey Beene. think I got it at Kohl's for under $30 bucks. It has a little wear to it, but it's held together really well and I don't ever feel it. (Probably because it's usually empty).

They last longer when left empty for long periods of time.

warthog

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Feb 12, 2013
    Vigo County
    Line your wallet with aluminum foil if you are worried about RFID readers. :patriot:
    Wish that worked and this isn't a tinfoil hat sort of worry. I guess though if you feel it isn't a problem you could check out the interweb for personal security issues and such. An RFID blocking wallet isn't all that much more expensive and many are even cheaper than a lot of more elaborate wallets. They look as good as any other wallets too plus they seem to hold up to overstuffing and abuse better than just plain leather. I used to wear out a wallet in a year or less, the one I have now is three years old and is looking good for another three yet.

I keep money in my front pocket in a money clip, not my wallet. Harder to be pick-pocketed that way (not impossible though).

Like everything else, it's up to each person individually and of course coming from me it is sure to be mocked and ignored. :ingo:

Just thought to tell the OP it is something to think about since Identity Theft is a prevalent issue these days. :twocents:

Steve B

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    KEWANNA
    I just bought a new Big Skinny bi-fold. I've carried a tri-fold for 30+ yrs. I have to say, so far I'm liking it. It has the same footprint as my old tri-fold but with the same stuff in it, it's 1/3 the thickness.

gunsisgood

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 19, 2010
    Maine
    Is there a better quality leather wallet out there to hold:
    Some cash, about a dozen credit card sized cards. A few bsiness cards and a few receipts.

Check out Saddleback leather, :yesway:
    Great people, excellent leather guaranteed for 100 yrs.

Your Welcome :):

Hohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    USA
    With the rise of both ID Theft and CREDIT CARDS using RFID Technology along with both DL's and Passports I have purchased RFID blocking real leather made in the USA leather and Passport holders to further insure my identity is not stolen.

All it takes is a simple RFID reader, which a thief can conceal in a bag or fanny-pack and they just need to walk through the room, getting within a few feet of everyone of interest and without something blocking them, they read all the info from your cards and ID and save it to disk for use later.

It's not that easy, actually.

First of all, it depends on whether the RFID is passive or active. If it's an active tag, only certain interrogators will turn them on. If it's passive, the range can be pretty short. That's why the check-out counter at the store has to be so close to deactivate RFID tags. And STILL you see people set off the theft alarm because a tag is acting flaky or never deactivated.

Secondly, the data may not be in usable format. It's not a given that just because someone can access your "data" that they can make sense of it. It may not say THE BIRTHDATE IS xx/xx/xxxx. It may be in julian date. It may just be a string of numbers that only make sense when read by the right interrogator (At the BMV).

I personally think the RFID angle to identity theft is vastly overblown. After all, why go through the hassle? It's SO much harder to do and you're far more likely to get caught. And you'll end up having to do far more work to get a smaller amount of information.

Far easier to just steal an ID the old fashioned way-- work at a restaurant or retail place. Or find a hacket who's got some nefarious connections.

warthog

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Feb 12, 2013
    Vigo County
    Just a note, my current RFID blocking Leather wallet is three years old and cost me $19.95. It's still in great shape and isn't going to need replacing for a long time. I only replaced the previous wallet, it was 20+ years old and cost me $10 and was also a bifold leather one, because I wanted to upgrade to one that had the RFID blocking lining. Since I travel, I upgraded my Passport holder to the RFID blocking type too, the previous one was 7 passports old so 35 years. It was a simple around the neck bifold with a zipper closure made of leather and again was in fine shape despite having been on 5 of the seven continents, North & South (and Central) Americas, Asia, Europe, & Africa. Still need to travel to Australia and Antarctica to make it all seven. Hoping for Australia next year if my savings hold up and the house doesn't spring a major money hemorrhage. As for the South Pole, that one will be last on the list as it is ridiculously expensive to go there. It is still gonna happen though because very few humans have been able to set foot on all seven continents. I already have been on the pack ice of the Northern Polar region but there is no land under it so no continent there...

Face it, RFID blocking is cheap. Why not do it? It seems like a no brainer to me but if not to you, then don't. Seems like an odd thing for so many to argue against when it really winds up costing less than most of the wallets you all are suggesting....

addictedhealer

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 29, 2012
    Monroe County
    I second BOSCA wallets, 100% American made. Quality leather and stitching. Can be a tad pricey but very classy and strong. I'v had mine for a year and it still looks brand new. Check them out online. Mine is just a bi-fold with a money clip. I like them super thin.

Lectric102002

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 25, 2013
    .- ...- --- -.
    Wish that worked and this isn't a tinfoil hat sort of worry. I guess though if you feel it isn't a problem you could check out the interweb for personal security issues and such. An RFID blocking wallet isn't all that much more expensive and many are even cheaper than a lot of more elaborate wallets.

I had an RFID blocking wallet but had to stop carrying it. It was setting off the shoplifting detectors that stores have by the front doors. Don't know why but as soon as I stopped carrying it, it never happened again. Maybe it had an anti-theft device built into it that never got deactivated when I bought it. :dunno:

Top Bottom