• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • EPD1102

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Nov 1, 2010
    Evansville
    Hopefully, I'll get this loaded right so it will play. This is a video from one of our trail cameras in Pike County, Indiana. I think it's a big bobcat but the tail is longer than any of the other bobcats at our property and it is much larger. I have no experience with cougars (mountain lions) but it looks kind of like a young cougar. Please let me know what you think and why.
    Thanks

Tydeeh22

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Mar 7, 2012
    Indiana
    bobcat. cougars have the distinct long tail approaching about 30-40% of their overall body length..

EDIT: it actually may have been a pet cougar gone rogue. it has the facials of a cougar, but it is as if the tail has been "Docked". either way. if you have pets in the area, id keep an eye on em.

Kaiser

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 13, 2011
    lafayette area
    That cat is too large for a bobcat and it's stride is wrong. Have never seen a mountain lion or couger up close so not sure which one. But I am fairly sure it is not a bobcat although the tail is short. Could the camera be distorting the size?

Tydeeh22

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Mar 7, 2012
    Indiana
    That cat is too large for a bobcat and it's stride is wrong. Have never seen a mountain lion or couger up close so not sure which one. But I am fairly sure it is not a bobcat although the tail is short. Could the camera be distorting the size?
    im almost thinking the tail was cut off as a cub. (cougar). opinion?

EPD1102

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Nov 1, 2010
    Evansville
    I've got about a dozen videos of bobcats at our property and they're all about 1/2 the size of this one and they all have short (less than 4" tails). This kitty is much bigger and has a much longer tail. Like I said, I have no experience with mountain lions but I was wondering if this could be a juvenile mountain lion.
    I've got two cameras in the same area now trying to get some more conclusive video.

Tydeeh22

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Mar 7, 2012
    Indiana
    I've got about a dozen videos of bobcats at our property and they're all about 1/2 the size of this one and they all have short (less than 4" tails). This kitty is much bigger and has a much longer tail. Like I said, I have no experience with mountain lions but I was wondering if this could be a juvenile mountain lion.
    I've got two cameras in the same area now trying to get some more conclusive video.
    keep me posted. are you in southern indiana? or whereabouts? i know of mountain lions in certain parts.

Caldad

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 26, 2012
    Evansville, IN
    Bobcat. ...or at least part bobcat. Maybe hybrid.

bobcat-size-mountain-lion%2Bcougar%2Bnetwork.jpg

tyrajam

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    Fishers
    I have seen bobcats and cougars, and while it looks big it is definitely not a cougar. I havn't seen a tail that long on a bobcat, but the markings are 100% bobcat and the ears are bobcat. I doubt there is much chance of it being a hybrid, usually animals must be in the same genus to interbreed, although they do both have 38 chromosomes. There are no recorded interbreedings between them. It is extremely rare for even bobcats and lynx to interbreed. In my opinion there is only one conclusion: That is one big bobcat!

booey50

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 27, 2009
    nw indiana
    Pretty find either way, but it looks like a big bobcat. Maybe you can show a range of measurements in the photo? so we can get a scale to see how big it is.

HICKMAN

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    big bobcat

I got pics of a very similar cat on trail cam at the family farm and thought it was too big to be a bobcat, and sent the pics to DNR to review. They said it was a bobcat.

amazing footage!

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    I'm inclined to agree with the majority sentiment of it being a bobcat. There doesn't appear to be anything with which to judge scale, though, so even calling it "large" I's difficult.

Top Bottom