• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Indiana Camper

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 16, 2012
    Westfield
    My wife will be taking her first pistol class this spring. I recently got her a new gen 3 G19. I do not know if/how much she will CC with this but I wanted her to have something nice and comfy to shoot for the class.

The instructor is a Gunsite academy instructor but it is not a Gunsite class. They are supposed to shoot approx. 400 rounds over 2 days.

The Glock does not have night sites. I've been debating a set of Big Dots since this will be more of a self defense pistol. But I'm wondering if she would do better at this class with the stock sights.

Does anybody run Big Dots? Any thoughts are welcome.

Thanks

iChokePeople

Master
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   1
    Feb 11, 2011
    I have big dots on a glock 19. This is just MY opinion for the way *i* shoot, but they're the PERFECT sights... For those times where I don't use my sights, anyway. For the times I need sights, they suck. For me. I am not nearly as precise with them as with something like trijicon hds. They'd be great for very close, quick stuff, except that I don't use sights for that stuff.

Of course, ymmv.

I'll get rid of them soon. Not for me.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    SNIP ... For those times where I don't use my sights, anyway. For the times I need sights, they suck. For me. I am not nearly as precise with them as with something like trijicon hds. They'd be great for very close, quick stuff, except that I don't use sights for that stuff...

I've heard several reports very similar to this. But I don't have any experience with them personally. I MAY have shot a few shots through a gun equipped with them but I cannot remember for sure.

They're great for SD type stuff. If you're ever going to do any precision work - they aren't so hot.

Keep in mind that many SD classes have an "accuracy" portion as well. It's not all about 4" groups at 5-10 yards.

-J-

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    I tried them on a CZ I was shooting IDPA with, and it ruined the gun. They are perfect at distances were you shouldn't need your sights at all, and suck at any distance when you'd actually want a sight picture.

I'll knock the sights off a gun and just use the angle of the slide to aim before I put Big Dots on a gun again, at least it won't obscure the target completely.

Fordtough25

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.1%
    110   1   0
    Apr 14, 2010
    Jefferson County
    Top Bottom