• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    What's this mean for INGO? Well, every time someone cuts and pastes a whole article they'll be putting INGO in danger of losing its advertising, it's Google ranking and possibly their service.

via The Consumerist

On his Reflections of a Newsosaur blog, Alan Mutter says a company called Attributor has rounded up several big media companies and is set to go after sites that hawk their content for free.
    Mutter writes:
    Read the rest of the short piece at the source.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    What's this mean for INGO? Well, every time someone cuts and pastes a whole article they'll be putting INGO in danger of losing its advertising, it's Google ranking and possibly their service.

via The Consumerist

Read the rest of the short piece at the source.

This is a good question. There are "fair use" laws in place. It is generally considered to be legal (and I am not a lawyer so take this as what I understand not as legal advice) to quote PARTS of a news story, provided that the source is attributed. So if you post a story, you may want to limit your post to the first half of the story, or perhaps to the first 2 or 3 paragraphs of the story, and be sure to provide a link to the story, etc.

The question also comes up (from what I can tell) regarding commercial use of the story. Basically if the story is being used to make money by someone. I think it would be a stretch to presume that a discussion forum makes money because someone wants to discuss a news article but a case might be made for that in some instances???

I know that some forums have rules that REQUIRE that the source be linked, the title be unedited, and that the story/article/editorial only be partially quoted.

Jay

Gotta watch us old guys.....cause if you don't....
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 19, 2008
    Near Marion, IN
    I'm not in favor of anyone re-posting general news anyway. A news blurb followed by the poster's opinion, or comments is fine, but news post, after news post, is nuts. I'm able to get what news interests me on my own. There are those who post the same article, the same way on multiple forums....very often..... gets old in a hurry...to me.

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    This is a good question. There are "fair use" laws in place. It is generally considered to be legal (and I am not a lawyer so take this as what I understand not as legal advice) to quote PARTS of a news story, provided that the source is attributed. So if you post a story, you may want to limit your post to the first half of the story, or perhaps to the first 2 or 3 paragraphs of the story, and be sure to provide a link to the story, etc.

The question also comes up (from what I can tell) regarding commercial use of the story. Basically if the story is being used to make money by someone. I think it would be a stretch to presume that a discussion forum makes money because someone wants to discuss a news article but a case might be made for that in some instances???

I know that some forums have rules that REQUIRE that the source be linked, the title be unedited, and that the story/article/editorial only be partially quoted.
    While INGO is not like some sites, which reprint articles and then make money from them, the folks behind this push likely won't care, just like the people behind anti-piracy pushes. They'll use a broad net and catch whomever they want without regard. Web Sheriff does this with music and gets whole sites taken down, even when they site has permission to host a file. I doubt they'll take our status as a forum into consideration.
    Fair Use will be a saving grace, tho. Using only a percentage of an article will be OK, as long as it has attribution. Folks will just have to get used to it. I for one would hate to see INGO hammered by these people. Especially, when it's unnecessary.

IndyBeerman

Was a real life Beerman.....
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 2, 2008
    Plainfield

While there are some user's who c&p the entire article, most of the time O see that either it's a link only, or paragraph or two with a link.

I think as long as a link to the site with only a teaser to direct them there is suficent. After all anybody that is dumb enough to sue someone for directing traffice to thier site is a fool and will clearly be seen as that by the judge.

Fletch

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 19, 2008
    Oklahoma
    Wholesale copy/paste is a pet peeve of mine... especially when there's no link to the original, but even when there is. Other folks deserve the traffic their content generates, and 100% copy/paste steals that from them.

Top Bottom