• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ThatOneKid

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 26, 2014
    Batesville
    Since I still can't seem to find any .22 in large amounts in my area, I'm in the market for another gun to take to the range and have fun with.
    I have shot both platforms before, but its been a few years. In your guy's opinion, which platform have you had the most fun with?
    Both guns are relatively "cheap" and both are cheap to feed. I'm on the fence and can't decide which gun I want.

A 7.62 Exodus

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Sep 29, 2011
    Shreveport, LA
    Since I still can't seem to find any .22 in large amounts in my area, I'm in the market for another gun to take to the range and have fun with.
    I have shot both platforms before, but its been a few years. In your guy's opinion, which platform have you had the most fun with?
    Both guns are relatively "cheap" and both are cheap to feed. I'm on the fence and can't decide which gun I want.
    As a 7.62 loyalist, I say why not both? In all seriousness though, in today's market, I say go SKS. You can run to any Wally and get some x39, where if you get a mosin, you need to order x54r or have a local shop that carries it.

On the other hand, if you want a Russian weapon, get a mosin. The Russian SKS's have gone way up in prices.

Be sure you post pics of whichever you get.

huntall50

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 7, 2009
    NW Indianapolis
    My vote is the SKS, I got into them early enoung that I got a Russian for $100 and later a Norinco for 220. The ammo is reasonably cheap and easy to find locally, and the round and gun are very versatile- plinking, marksmanship, hunting and fighting in a fast semi-auto. Nothing against the Mosin, but I don't consider plinking with an almost 30-06 fun.

96firephoenix

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 15, 2010
    Indianapolis, IN
    here's how to decide. Shoot them both outdoors at night. See which one makes the bigger fireball. thats the one you want.

I try to warn people in the next lane as a courtesy before I shoot my mosin... Something about massive fireballs and not expecting them makes people jumpy.

Joe G

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 19, 2013
    SE Indiana
    I try to warn people in the next lane as a courtesy before I shoot my mosin... Something about massive fireballs and not expecting them makes people jumpy.

... or shriek like pre-teen girls. :lmfao:

(yes, saw that in person when a mid-20's "musclehead" kinda guy who was bragging about his AR fumbled it and let out a very HIGH shriek when the guy at the end of the line lit off the first 54R round at dusk. A few of us could see it coming so we were hanging back... :): )

tyler835

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 18, 2014
    Indianapolis
    I love my Mosin. Such a great bang for your buck. Ammo is relatively cheap. I get 100rds for $35 at bradis guns. I would really like to get a pu-30 scope and mount and make it a long distance gun.

ThatOneKid

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 26, 2014
    Batesville
    As a 7.62 loyalist, I say why not both? In all seriousness though, in today's market, I say go SKS. You can run to any Wally and get some x39, where if you get a mosin, you need to order x54r or have a local shop that carries it.

On the other hand, if you want a Russian weapon, get a mosin. The Russian SKS's have gone way up in prices.

Be sure you post pics of whichever you get.

I really would like to have both, or a few of both, but the money isnt there being a college student and all. Maybe down the road.

I'm leaning more towards SKS because of the ease of finding ammo, but I've shot mosins before and they're just so much fun. I think itll come down to whichever one I find first for the right price.

huntall50

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 7, 2009
    NW Indianapolis
    I know the mosin can be a serious workhorse if needed but most here treat it as a novalty or collecter item, my SKS's are neither to me. Plinking with a 7.62x54R does not sound like something I would want to repeat often.
    Although fireballs are COOL, they give away your location, which depending on the situation may not be so cool.

Top Bottom