• ...and so much more!
  • DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I love plinking with 7.62x54R... or 8mm... or 30-06... or .308... or... Well, you get the idea! :):

OP, you just missed a chance at some cheap SKS rifles from Allan's Armory. They had them for 200 bucks but when I saw this thread and went to get you the link, they were all sold out. (Not surprising at that price!) They've gone up like everything else, but you should still be able to find one for under 300 if you're patient. I have a Yugo 59/66 which is heavier than the Chinese or even the Russians, but it's a fun shooter. I have Mosins too and like them as well. I'm partial to the carbines, but I also love my Finn M39 for its accuracy. It's really a toss up as to your choice. Really can't go wrong with either one.

Bluejeeper

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2014
    Montgomery County
    I say Mosin. I really enjoy shooting my M44. And around here, x54r is just about as easy to find as x39.

Of course, now that I stop and think about it, the sks my dad had was a lot of fun to shoot as well. Guess I need to pick one of those up soon, too.

Good luck with your hunt

Nacho Man

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 21, 2012
    Hamilton County
    Seen a sks type m with the paratrooper barrel unfired at bullseye in kokomo. Pricy at $599. They came down $20, but decided to pass. That's too much, mind as well buy a ak. Nice for a collection though.

MordecuS

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 9, 2013
    Mooresville
    For the price of a SKS, you can get a Mosin and a spam can. That being said, I personally have to vote for the SKS. As others have said, you can not go wrong with either.

BogWalker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 5, 2013
    SKS. 7.62x54r is cheap now but will be expensive when the surplus runs out. Surplus 7.62x39 has run out and the commercial is still cheap.

arthrimus

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 1, 2012
    Carmel
    Since I still can't seem to find any .22 in large amounts in my area, I'm in the market for another gun to take to the range and have fun with.
    I have shot both platforms before, but its been a few years. In your guy's opinion, which platform have you had the most fun with?
    Both guns are relatively "cheap" and both are cheap to feed. I'm on the fence and can't decide which gun I want.
    Both. Seriously, I can't miss with either of them.

Miller Tyme

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 25, 2010
    Whiskey City, Indiana
    SKS. 7.62x54r is cheap now but will be expensive when the surplus runs out. Surplus 7.62x39 has run out and the commercial is still cheap.

That wont be happening anytime soon, the russians (as well as many former east block countries) still use the 7.62x 54r round in sinper rifles as well as there light machine guns

engineerpower

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jun 1, 2008
    State of Boone
    We're still working through the old stock of x54R. I think all on my cans are dated 71 through 77, and don't think I've seen anything fresh than 83-ish.

We blew up some bangalores in engineer school that were dated from the 60's, IIRC, and all the C4 I've blown was 80's at the freshest.

Jmak

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 29, 2008
    Indianapolis
    I have one of each; an Russian SKS I bought years ago and shot it once or twice plus a mosin I have the bolt "bent" by someone in Utah i believe plus put a "Russian scope" on it have yet to fire it... Anyway. Buy them both...

87iroc

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 25, 2012
    Bartholomew County
    I have both. The SKS is sitll my favorite plinking gun. The X54 is just too much umpf to shoot a ton of ammo through. Of course, that may be attractive to you. I can plink with the SKS all day. Its like shooting a .22 to me with a kick.

I have a Type 53 Chinese(think M44) and a 91/30. They both are fun to shoot...but about 40 rounds and I'm done for the day. I never knew the fireball was there until I realized everytime I pulled the trigger I blinked. When I quit doing that I saw the flash bulb go off. most impressive.

chibicascade

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 12, 2012
    Terre Haute
    I've had both, only kept the sks. The mosin is just a bit heavy on the recoil.
    It is cheap though, I'll probably be getting another one it the future.

remington870

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 9, 2013
    Hebron
    Id say SKS. Mosins are fun to shoot, but I have had trouble finding 7.62X54R lately. And when I do, it is pretty expensive. 7.62X39 is cheaper overall.

Top Bottom