Big Raccoon Creek canoeing condition (Rockville area)

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • michaelw2608

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 13, 2010
    A friend of mine and I have had a canoeing/camping trip planned for the July 30-August 2nd. We planned on taking Big Raccoon Creek to the Wabash. Anyone have an idea on the water level/speed of Big Raccoon Creek? I know that Raccoon Lake was really high and wondered if this was still effecting the creek?

terrehautian

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 6, 2012
    Where ever my GPS says I am
    This shows the outflow from the dam.

Louisville District Daily Lake Report

If we don't get any rain, the lake will still be around 686' and as the river goes down, they will let more water out. Look up Hoosier canoe and kayak club message board to get better information. (Forum - .::Hoosier Canoe Club Message Board::.)

This is what Bridgeton looked like around 1500 CFS (at 6am Monday morning it was 900 cfs)
    11745960_1008964085803364_3172811020838928298_n.jpg

As I said, I won't claim to be an expert and they are draining the lake as best they can without flooding down stream.

possumpacker

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 15, 2009
    parke co
    big raccoon is running high and would be dangerous and will probably be that way the rest of the summer. little raccoon would be a better choice and you could put in 1mi. east of rville on hwy 36. this creek is normally to low to canoe in the summer but is just right now. its a 10 mi. float to where it flows into big raccoon so u will want to get out at jessup in. on Catlin road.

ChrisK1977

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 23, 2009
    big raccoon is running high and would be dangerous and will probably be that way the rest of the summer. little raccoon would be a better choice and you could put in 1mi. east of rville on hwy 36. this creek is normally to low to canoe in the summer but is just right now. its a 10 mi. float to where it flows into big raccoon so u will want to get out at jessup in. on Catlin road.
    I second this. Little raccoon flows by my house. It looks nice right now.

michaelw2608

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 13, 2010
    We actually did the little and stopped at crooks creek road. We planned on going all the way to Jessup but we were running into downed trees every 30 minutes or so and did quite a bit more portaging than canoeing towards the end of the journey ha. Looks like the high water really did some damage through there.

Top Bottom