Big wrong turn for man carrying gun in car may lead to 3-year jail term...

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CitiusFortius

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 13, 2012
    NWI
    Tried searching Canada and nothing came up...sorry dupe police if this has been posted already.

Question: Is it ever OK to forget where a gun is? I kind of feel bad for the guy, but at the same time, he should have known where his gun was at all times in my opinion.

According to DiNatale, he had forgotten about the Bersa .380 handgun he had stowed in the center console. Agents searched the car, found the gun, and arrested DiNatale for attempted gun smuggling and lying to border patrol agents.

Big wrong turn for man carrying gun in car may lead to 3-year jail term in Canada

Mark 1911

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Schererville, IN
    If he just wanted to turn around he sure wasn't trying to smuggle anything anywhere. I hope common sense prevails and this is resolved in his favor.

Hoosierman

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 1, 2013
    The situation he's in is unfortunate for sure, however I'm not sure how you "forget" you have a gun. My money is on it being more likely that he knew it was there and was banking on them not performing a search.

SEIndSAM

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    May 14, 2011
    Ripley County
    Guy was being stupid. I was in far northern Montana a year ago and paid close attention to where I was going so that I didn't accidently cross the border.

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 21, 2013
    Lawrence County
    don't see a 3-year stupid tax for this one.

By the way, how does one "accidentally" enter a country? Don't you have to go through the gate? If you don't go through the gate, you're not in the country. If they give you permission to enter to turn around, then you've been granted permission...not following how this happend on a manned bridge just yet.

KittySlayer

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 29, 2013
    Northeast IN
    Double Trouble

He got in trouble because he lied, not because he forgot. Besides how did someone get from KY to VT without driving through the former great state of NY? He should have had the gun properly stored traveling through NY. As soon as you grab that little blue book that is your passport you need to think about gun laws of other countries.

At least he only has to serve three years in Canada. Had he been caught in New York they would probably have executed him.

Top Bottom