• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Sirindu

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 4, 2014
    Indianapolis
    Are there any avid bikers around here? :) I may not be the most hardcore, but my wife and I love distance biking. It's definitely a bit more weight to carry, but I won't leave my gun behind. Problem is...

What's the best way to carry when biking? What have you found? I've seen some fanny-pack like arrangements which (I'm guessing) is what the LEO bikers use. Is there a better way?

Kernal1984

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jan 15, 2012
    Scottsburg
    I use a belly band when mountain biking for my j frame. It holds the gun and 2 speed strips comfortably but it gets kinda hot.

I have been thinking about a tacticool fanny pack but dont wanna pay for one.

BiscuitNaBasket

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.6%
    73   1   0
    Dec 27, 2011
    Greenwood
    Are there any avid bikers around here? :) I may not be the most hardcore, but my wife and I love distance biking. It's definitely a bit more weight to carry, but I won't leave my gun behind. Problem is...

What's the best way to carry when biking? What have you found? I've seen some fanny-pack like arrangements which (I'm guessing) is what the LEO bikers use. Is there a better way?

IMPD has a few officers that patrol the Monon Trail. I have seen more towards the def school on the near east side. All were wearing full duty belt gear. Seems uncomfortable to me, but I guess the department isn't too worried about their comfort. I'm perfectly fine wearing shorts with a belt slide holster and have never had an issue with it.

It may not be your style, but what about a small messenger bag slung across your chest or back with an easy access pocket?

Last edited:

dvd1955

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 10, 2013
    Howard County
    Mine's often in the trunk behind the passenger seat (Goldwing). It's lockable. If I feel the need, I can put it in a pocket in the fairing, where it is easy to grab from the driver's seat.

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    I bike too. And I can't imagine carrying a gun while biking. Even running, I can't imagine carrying.

I do have a knife clipped to my shorts, along with a can of OFF! dog spray.

Sometimes you just can't carry a gun. A knife is the next best thing.

Sirindu

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 4, 2014
    Indianapolis
    It may not be your style, but what about a small messenger bag slung across your chest or back with an easy access pocket?

Hard for me to imagine that being comfortable. I'm not hardcore, but I really do like to get up there in speed and make it a workout as well as putting up good distances most times I ride.

I bike too. And I can't imagine carrying a gun while biking. Even running, I can't imagine carrying.

I do have a knife clipped to my shorts, along with a can of OFF! dog spray.

Sometimes you just can't carry a gun. A knife is the next best thing.

Believe it or not, I've been riding so far with an IWB holster, and I just let it be OC. It's not the most comfortable thing in the world, but it's worked thus far. Just hoping for a better solution.

Bicycles, not motor bikes :)

Yeah, I probably could have been a bit more specific about that. My bad. =P

The bellyband thing interests me but I imagine it would be crazy hot.

Sirindu

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 4, 2014
    Indianapolis

KittySlayer

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 29, 2013
    Northeast IN
    For biking I carry a Keltec P3AT in my back, middle jersey pocket inside a Lowepro neoprene camera case. Comfortable enough for 100 mile rides. See details at Mark's link to prior thread.

maybe a keltec with pocket clip in waistband at 4 o'clock position?

Have a buddy that does that. Be sure to wear bib shorts if you are going to do that. (bib shorts = built in suspenders).

A guy on that thread pointed out the possibility of getting injured in a fall or wreck by having something solid strapped to your hip. At first glance, I feel like this is a good point and now I'm unsure of my direction...

If you are going to go asphalt surfing it's hipbones, butt cheeks, knees, elbows, helmet and shoulders meeting the meat grinder. If you want to check out where you will land and get injured on the road go to a Cat. 4/5 crit. race and see where guys jerseys and shorts are ripped up. If you're that worried about crashing be sure you are shaving your legs, wearing a SS base layer and wearing your helmet.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    A guy on that thread pointed out the possibility of getting injured in a fall or wreck by having something solid strapped to your hip. At first glance, I feel like this is a good point and now I'm unsure of my direction...

I have had two nasty wrecks requiring ER visits. I cringe at the thought how it would have turned out if I had a gun on my waist. I think I would opt for carrying in a pack on the bike, say under the seat. Or stick it in one of the three back pockets on my jersey. To date I have not landed on my back.:)

g00n24

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 14, 2009
    IN
    OOOPS, I thought the title said bikini's and carrying, thought it was a new picture thread, imagine my disappointment :D

HAHAHAHA!! I clicked on it for the exact same reason LOL. I was just thinking, "how the hell are you going to carry while wearing a bikini?"

g00n24

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 14, 2009
    IN
    Hard for me to imagine that being comfortable. I'm not hardcore, but I really do like to get up there in speed and make it a workout as well as putting up good distances most times I ride.

Believe it or not, I've been riding so far with an IWB holster, and I just let it be OC. It's not the most comfortable thing in the world, but it's worked thus far. Just hoping for a better solution.

Yeah, I probably could have been a bit more specific about that. My bad. =P

The bellyband thing interests me but I imagine it would be crazy hot.

They don't get too hot. Some, like the one I am wearing right now, are nothing more than a wide piece of elastic w/ some "holsters" stitched to it. Probably about 4" wide. Some are bigger and more sturdy. I wear one under my scrubs w/ a kahr CM9 at the appendix position, but you could position the gun at any position you felt was comfortable. They don't really cover enough of you to get super hot. They also make those CCW undershirts that have holsters built in.

Indiana Camper

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 16, 2012
    Westfield
    I've thrown my PF9 in my shorts pocket many times if it's just a leisure ride like around a campgroung with my family. If it's a more serious mountain bike ride I've put the same pistol in my camelbak. It wouldn't be fast to get to but it's better than nothing.
    I started running recently with my Hill People Gear Snubby. It's been working out really well so far. I may try it out on my bike some time.

Top Bottom