• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Griffeycom

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 20, 2008
    State lawmakers submitted a series of bills this week to protect the privacy of Hoosiers who hold gun permits.

At least three different bills have been filed, legislators said.

The proposed laws would prohibit the Indiana State Police from publicly releasing the names, home addresses and other identifying information about permit holders.

Current law allows anybody to purchase the state’s full permit database for $32. It includes a permit holder’s race, height, hair color, eye color and more.

Rep. Peggy Welch, D-Bloomington, Sen. Greg Walker, R-Columbus, and Rep. Mike Murphy, R-Indianapolis, each submitted a bill to cut off that access, they said.

Public permit data causes problems, Welch said
    It “either tells people where handguns are, or where handguns are not,” Welch said.
    The Herald-Times and the Indianapolis Star both published heavily edited versions of the state’s permit database in recent months.

Murphy said the newspapers took conservative approaches, where others might not have.
    “It was only the Star and the H-T’s editorial discretion that limited their databases to (what they were),” he said. “But now we are full of bloggers and all kinds of people who are not bound by the same professional concerns.”
    “To protect the safety of gun owners and non-gun owners, it is better to have this information available only to law enforcement,” Murphy said.

Walker’s Senate bill is very similar to Murphy’s House bill, and also bars all non-law enforcement sources from accessing the data.

Neither bill would be effective retroactively, the legislators said.

Gun ownership is a right that should not be infringed upon in any way — including the publication of permit records, Walker said.

Walker’s opposition to a public list is more than theoretical, though.
    “The list has intimidated some of the people whose names could be on it,” he said. “It puts them at risk of predators who are looking for a source of handguns.”

“If a person has this personal protection in their possession for the element of surprise, or to balance the playing field in terms of personal force, you have the potential to remove that element of surprise by publishing this information,” Walker said.
    There are larger issues at play, said Rep. Eric Koch, R-Bedford, who is co-authoring Rep. Welch’s bill.

Koch wants the state to study what other databases are being maintained that might infringe on the rights of Hoosiers.

“What privacy is today, versus what it was 25 or 30 years ago, is largely different, due mostly to technology,” Koch said. “Now may be a good time to look at the bigger picture.”
    Source: Log in: HeraldTimesOnline.com

AFA1CY

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    In that Field that is Green
    It “either tells people where handguns are, or where handguns are not,” Welch said.
    The Herald-Times and the Indianapolis Star both published heavily edited versions of the state’s permit database in recent months.
    A nice sign in front of the legislators homes who are anti 2A would work too. I wonder how many of them would be willing to do that? ;)

MTC

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 14, 2009
    Re: bills filed

There are larger issues at play, said Rep. Eric Koch, R-Bedford, who is co-authoring Rep. Welch’s bill.

Koch wants the state to study what other databases are being maintained that might infringe on the rights of Hoosiers.

“What privacy is today, versus what it was 25 or 30 years ago, is largely different, due mostly to technology,” Koch said. “Now may be a good time to look at the bigger picture.”

He gets it.

techres

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    Start the letters and the calls guys, we have some win here and from all fronts!

techres

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    They have a good start with Eric Koch and Peggy Welsh sponsoring them. The rest is up to us. Let your legislator know!

Forgot to add, post this up on every other forum you are on! Call to action deal here. Spread the word and make it happen.

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 7, 2009
    Surprisingly at the time I write this, there are 3 pages of comments on that story, and the majority of them are in support of this bill.

IndyBeerman

Was a real life Beerman.....
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 2, 2008
    Plainfield
    A nice sign in front of the legislators homes who are anti 2A would work too. I wonder how many of them would be willing to do that? ;)

We need to get a copy of the list and just see how many legislators who claim to be anti 2nd are actual LTCH holders.

I can see the sign now,

This legislator holds a LTCH and votes against every Pro 2nd amendment legislation, how can you be against, when you are a legal gun owner.

techres

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    We need to get a copy of the list and just see how many legislators who claim to be anti 2nd are actual LTCH holders.

I can see the sign now,

This legislator holds a LTCH and votes against every Pro 2nd amendment legislation, how can you be against, when you are a legal gun owner.

Umm... we need friends now. I agree that would be very, very fun. But the success of this bill is privacy & victim protection.

I agree on the fun part though. But, better to go for the win however.

Eddie

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 28, 2009
    North of Terre Haute
    Here is a draft of a letter I am working on:

I am writing to let you know that I am strongly in favor of the legislation described in the article below. The practice of creating searchable databases to show what Hoosiers have a license to carry a handgun and which ones don’t is irresponsible and it will only help criminals select their victims by identifying unarmed homeowners or showing predators where they might break in to try to steal guns.

As a former police officer and current attorney I maintain a lifetime license to carry a handgun. I am not a criminal. I am a law-abiding citizen and avid hunter. Allowing the media to obtain my private information from the state and post it online in a searchable database is placing my family in danger. Please support the below referenced legislation by Representatives Welch and Murphy and by Senator Walker.

The following article is from the Bloomington Herald Times:

State lawmakers submitted a series of bills this week to protect the privacy of Hoosiers who hold gun permits.

At least three different bills have been filed, legislators said.

The proposed laws would prohibit the Indiana State Police from publicly releasing the names, home addresses and other identifying information about permit holders.

Current law allows anybody to purchase the state’s full permit database for $32. It includes a permit holder’s race, height, hair color, eye color and more.

Rep. Peggy Welch, D-Bloomington, Sen. Greg Walker, R-Columbus, and Rep. Mike Murphy, R-Indianapolis, each submitted a bill to cut off that access, they said.

Murphy said the newspapers took conservative approaches, where others might not have.
    “It was only the Star and the H-T’s editorial discretion that limited their databases to (what they were),” he said. “But now we are full of bloggers and all kinds of people who are not bound by the same professional concerns.”
    “To protect the safety of gun owners and non-gun owners, it is better to have this information available only to law enforcement,” Murphy said.

Walker’s Senate bill is very similar to Murphy’s House bill, and also bars all non-law enforcement sources from accessing the data.

Neither bill would be effective retroactively, the legislators said.

Gun ownership is a right that should not be infringed upon in any way — including the publication of permit records, Walker said.

Walker’s opposition to a public list is more than theoretical, though.
    “The list has intimidated some of the people whose names could be on it,” he said. “It puts them at risk of predators who are looking for a source of handguns.”

“If a person has this personal protection in their possession for the element of surprise, or to balance the playing field in terms of personal force, you have the potential to remove that element of surprise by publishing this information,” Walker said.

Eddie

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 28, 2009
    North of Terre Haute
    Umm... we need friends now. I agree that would be very, very fun. But the success of this bill is privacy & victim protection.

I agree on the fun part though. But, better to go for the win however.

I wouldn't do this to the legislators, I would do it to the editors of the papers. You could either post information that they were unarmed or information that they have a LTCH and what street they live on. Let them see how it feels.

jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    I just sent e-mails in support of protecting the privacy of the Indiana LTCH holders and the database data to Sen. Steele and Rep. Goodin, who are the legislators from my districts.

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 7, 2009
    I wouldn't do this to the legislators, I would do it to the editors of the papers. You could either post information that they were unarmed or information that they have a LTCH and what street they live on. Let them see how it feels.
    This was done on ARFCOM. It was pulled shortly after. Someone over there found EVERY address, phone number, cell number, and even relatives of the HT employees and posted it all on arfcom. They were relentless with the postings of information.

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 7, 2009
    Surprisingly at the time I write this, there are 3 pages of comments on that story, and the majority of them are in support of this bill.
    Well, I take it all back. I guess the Libtards all slept in this morning, as it has turned into a gun bash again.

I would almost be willing to foot the online subscription fee to anyone here who is good at writing and defending the 2A, to go and take on all the Libtards at the HTO.

The problem is that it is nearly one against all. A daunting task?

schafe

Master
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Monroe Co.
    contacted my legislators

I have contacted my state rep and state senator and encouraged them to support these efforts. I also dropped an Email to Walker,Murphy,Koch,and Welch, commending them for this effort. My State house district is adjacent to the one represented by Ms. Welch. I have heard some good things from some of her constituents about her responsiveness to issues and her follow thru.

Top Bottom