• ...and so much more!
  • tskin

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2008
    West Central Indiana
    Bio Metric gun safes

Does anyone have any experience using these gun safes to store their handguns in order to keep their young children from getting to them? I don't like the thought of having to go all the way across the room & start digging around on the top shelf of the closet to find what I might need RIGHT NOW! Any reviews would be very appreciated.

tskin

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2008
    West Central Indiana
    I thought I typed this question before I went to bed, but can't find it. I must've failed to hit enter. Anway, what I asked was if anyone has any experience using these bio metric (fingerprinting) safes to store their handguns in to keep away from small children. I'm not crazy with the thought of having to run across the room & and going to the top of the closet to find what I might need right now.....

Follow up - I originally typed that in before I went to bed. At about 2:55 am (15 minutes ago) I was awaken to the sound of one of my 3 yr old son's toys that just started talking out of the blue. The wife & son are house sitting at my inlaws house tonight & I'm home alone. After being frozen in the bed for about 2 seconds. I jumped up & ran to the closet, turned the light on, and retrieved the 9 MM. I did a complete search of house & didn't find anything out of the ordinary. I'm not even sure which toy was babbling, or if I just dreamed it. I'm letting the adrenaline subside (was nervous as hell) before I go back to bed, but the 9 will be on the bedside table vs the closet the rest of the night.. I'd appreciate any reviews on the safe.

AFA1CY

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    In that Field that is Green
    I have heard that they don't always work. Get one that has the pushbutton combo.

s7_223551_imageset_01

Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 7, 2008
    Greenfield
    The biometric safes are nice, but I wouldn't rely on them for quick access. I do not have one of these, but I have done a lot of work in biometrics and fingeprint technologies and have toyed with the safes on occassion. The ability for the sensor to get a proper read on any fingerprint sensor is sometimes a bit fickle and picky. Very similar to the laptops with the fingerprint swipe or any other, many people quit using it because its a hassle to have to perform the action 5 times before it will allow access. I would imagine this to be especially true if one were in a hurry and didn't get their print all the way down on the pad, trying to rush the process. Great technology, but not for speed. If speed is necessary, I would definately recommend one of the push button safes or one with alternate access (key or something). It will function much more reliably under pressure, and why take the chance.

:twocents:

TopDog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    You can take this for what its worth. I did a whole bunch of research for a handgun quick access vault. What I found (mostly on the internet, we all know if its on the internet it must be true) is that biometrics still have a way to go in reliability.

The most reliable is a push button that does not rely on electricity or batteries.

Next are the models like the Gunvault. They are a comprise between the push button and the bio models. Its quick access the deluxe uses electricity and a battery backup and a key fail safe. They are well built and cost effective. I have two of them.

I put together a little pdf file listing some of the handgun valuts in general from least secure & less quality to most secure and highest quality. It has some pretty good links it for finding each model. I'm no expert its just the result of research I did on the net. If anyone wants to look at it just pm me and I will send a copy.

Indy317

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 27, 2008
    Next are the models like the Gunvault. They are a comprise between the push button and the bio models. Its quick access the deluxe uses electricity and a battery backup and a key fail safe. They are well built and cost effective. I have two of them.

I was looking a various mini-safes not to long ago. I have some questions for you about the Gunvault brand. I was looking at the GV1000C-DLX (Mini-deluxe). I like this safe only because it has a tamper indicator, so you would know if someone tried to mess with the safe. That being said, I am not sure I am liking what I am hearing about their reliability. It looks like I need a combo/push button non-electric type safe. Do you have any recommendations or can you send me the .pdf file? Thanks!!

TopDog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    I put together a little pdf file listing some of the handgun valuts in general from least secure & less quality to most secure and highest quality. It has some pretty good links it for finding each model. I'm no expert its just the result of research I did on the net. If anyone wants to look at it just pm me and I will send a copy.

If anyone wants to look at the file here is a link.

HandGun Vaults PDF

Top Bottom