• ATOMonkey

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Plainfield
    Here's the text of the bill.
    Introduced Version, House Bill 1018

I couldn't find a roll call list, but here's the action list and it shows who the senate sponsors are.

Indiana General Assembly

http://www.in.gov/legislative/bills/2011/PDF/Hrollcal/0045.PDF.pdf

From this link.

Indiana General Assembly

Yea votes: (space delineated)

Austin Dembowski Klinker Riecken
    Bacon Dobis Lawson, L Saunders
    Bardon Dodge Leonard Smith, M
    Bartlett Dvorak Mahan Smith, V
    Battles Eberhart McNamara Soliday
    Bauer Ellspermann Messmer Stemler
    Borders Foley Moseley Sullivan
    Brown,C Fry, C Moses Summers
    Brown, T Frye, R Neese Thompson
    Burton GiaQuenta Niezgodski Torr
    Candelaria Reardon Gutwein Pelath Truitt
    Cherry Harris Pierce Turner
    Clere Heaton Pond Tyler
    Crawford Heuer Porter VanDenburgh
    Crouch Hinkle Pryor Welch
    Day Karickhoff Reske Yarde​
    DeLaney Kersey Richardson Mr. Speaker

Nay Votes: (space delineated)

Baird Friend Lehe Speedy
    Behning Frizzell Lehman Steuerwald
    Cheatham Goodin Lutz Stevenson
    Culver Grubb McClain Ubelhor
    Davis Kirchhofer McMillin VanNatter
    Davisson Knollman Morris Wesco
    Dermody Koch Noe Wolkins​
    Espich Kubacki Rhoads

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    Looks like my local gop member voted in favour of the ban. I would say that I'll never vote for her again, but I never voted for her in the first place.

rambone

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    'Merica
    I don't like smoke, therefore I should get to walk into any private business I want to and not be offended by their atmosphere.

spec4

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 19, 2010
    NWI
    Since I don't smoke, I just don't patronize places that have it. They made the decision to have smoking area, so be it. They decided to not have my business. I have a problem with the govt dictating to business owners whether or not they can have smoking at their business.

Vince49

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 13, 2010
    Indy urban west.
    My place!

I don't like smoke, therefore I should get to walk into any private business I want to and not be offended by their atmosphere.[/quote

No you should not. Wherever did the idea come from that you are,"entitled","have a right", to live in a world where your every like, dislike or whim is catered to? As a property owner I really do not care whether or not you like smoke, or garlic, or the aroma of feces. It is my place and since my hard earned dollars are paying for it your,"rights" to have it your way end at my door!

Have a nice day and don't let my door hit ya where the Good Lord split ya! :D

fire259

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 6, 2010
    Brown County
    I understand that if you don't like smoke, don't go where they allow it. However in today's job market it is difficult to quit your job because your employer allows smoking. I work in an environment where I am surrounded by smokers everyday and is it unpleasant, but I can't afford to quit my job because of it.

rambone

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    'Merica
    No you should not. Wherever did the idea come from that you are,"entitled","have a right", to live in a world where your every like, dislike or whim is catered to? As a property owner I really do not care whether or not you like smoke, or garlic, or the aroma of feces. It is my place and since my hard earned dollars are paying for it your,"rights" to have it your way end at my door!

Have a nice day and don't let my door hit ya where the Good Lord split ya! :D

Haha! I'm with ya brother. I was being sarcastic. :yesway:

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    I understand that if you don't like smoke, don't go where they allow it. However in today's job market it is difficult to quit your job because your employer allows smoking. I work in an environment where I am surrounded by smokers everyday and is it unpleasant, but I can't afford to quit my job because of it.
    So, a law should be passed to protect you? If you have a salable skill you should be able to go anywhere, if you don't then you've chosen to limit your options to that environment. Regardless, it's not the place of the state to make your life easier and inconvenience businesses that aren't engaging in illegal practices (until they pass their law).

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008

I wonder if the government will ban all welding and painting at my company. The smoke and fumes are unhealthy. I have a right to work there so the company should cease all painting and welding. I don't know how the company will stay in business by not doing those things, but that is their problem. I'm entitled to my job and it should be a completely harmless environment.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    My GOP Senator is on the Nay list. Good for him. I will have to send him a thank you email.

I saw that you voted against the state smoking ban on the final reading. Thanks. I am not a smoker but I hate the continuing loss of our property rights that a law like this brings about. Republicans should stand for freedom. liberty and small government. Not a government that regulates every aspect of our lives.

Last edited:

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    I wonder if the government will ban all welding and painting at my company. The smoke and fumes are unhealthy. I have a right to work there so the company should cease all painting and welding. I don't know how the company will stay in business by not doing those things, but that is their problem. I'm entitled to my job and it should be a completely harmless environment.

As a Muslim I demand a pork free workplace. No pork of any kind should be allowed in the lunchroom, even in sack lunches brought in by my co-workers. There should be no sausage, jerky or pork snacks of any kind sold in the vending machines, or sold by the company. In fact the trucks that haul product should not haul product that is made from pork. Oh, and no jello either, that is made from hooves of pigs and other "unclean" animals.

Oh wait, I'm not a Muslim. But I hope you all get the parallel.

SemperFiUSMC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2009

You made a choice. Own it and live with it. Don't whine about it.

jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    I'm going to offer up a different opinion for items 2, 3, and 4. I do agree #1 is excessive. But I think the others aren't out of the question.

2) in enclosed areas of a place of employment; (3) in certain state vehicles; and (4) within 12 feet of a public entrance to a public place or an enclosed area of a place of employment.

#2 Seems actually pretty reasonable to me. It doesn't say you can't smoke at work, just not in an enclosed place, such as in the office, on the shop floor, etc. Seems like that is probably already in place at many employers and this just makes that more uniform.

#3 seems reasonable as well. If the state says you can't smoke in a state owned vehicles, that's their perrogative. Seems like this is probably already pretty common in many company owned vehicles, rentals, etc. If I don't want you to smoke in my car, it is my right to tell you to get out of my car if you don't wish to abide by my request.

#4 also seems reasonable. How many times have you walked up to the entrance of a mall, movie theater, etc. and had to walk over several discarded butts on the ground, or through a thick cloud of concentrated smoke from everyone getting that last drag, before flicking the butt outside and exhaling as they walk through the door? For the smokers it is no big deal, but for non-smokers it just concentrates the smoke that non-smokers don't want to have to inhale.

I think it is well proven that there are adverse health affects from cigarette smoke for both smokers and those exposed to it "second hand." While I'd like to see the collective smoker community come together and say "You know what, we have made a choice to smoke, but aren't going to expose those that have chosen not to smoke to the harmful smoke" but as far as I know that hasn't happened.

However, the non-smoker community has evidently requested the state's assistance in helping make sure that non smokers and their family members aren't exposed to the smoke in certain places. It has been placed up for a vote by the representatives, and they made a decision.

So I ask this, if the state doesn't make a decision, who will? Do we just leave it as a free-for all and hope that people do the right thing? And if so, isn't that already how it is today?

Top Bottom